Dan Duquette interviewed on The Fan

wildcard

A full year of Reynolsds, McLouth, Markakis, and Manny, will do wonders for our OBP. We still need one more guy IMO.

I agree. He agrees too. His statement was that you don't build through free agency but you never stand pat. You build from within with the occasional trade. Perfect for todays baseball. We absolutely need another offensive player and obp is a definite need.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he was as definitive about no. 6 as you phrased it. He certainly indicated that for now he saw no reason to fool with the defensive alignment. I agree wholeheartedly. I also did not get the impression that either Bundy or Gausman is a serious option to make the club out of spring training, but after they have proved themselves in AA.

I actually think no. 6 (that Machado wd be at third and Hardy at short for at least two more years) was a fair representation of what Duquette said. He noted that Manny's hands and arm defensively and power offensively fit well at third and that Hardy was one of the best shortstops around. He said "It's fair to say that we're set" at those positions "for the next few years."

It's always nice to hear what Dan has to say but I'm taking everything he says with a grain of salt. First of all, the World Series hasn't even started yet. In other words, HE probably doesn't even know what he's gonna do yet. He's probably got a plan of who he might go after and such but guys haven't had options picked up or declined yet and certain guys haven't had contracts tendered or not. And these are the types of guys we're gonna be on, not the big free agent types.

And I think that's the one area we can all agree on and take Dan's word: no big time FAs.

I'm very excited to see what he does though. I think we'll see a couple guys moved with some interesting pieces come back. And for once, going into an offseason of not knowing what's going to happen, I'm not expecting the worst. I'm anxiously looking forward to the upcoming moves after seeing what him and his staff and scouts did last offseason, and during the season.

A full year of Reynolsds, McLouth, Markakis, and Manny, will do wonders for our OBP. We still need one more guy IMO.

Wonders for our OBP?

Nate McLouth career OBP is 335. Hell, his last 3 years he's only rocked a 332 OBP. But if you think he can go higher, by all means...

As for Reynolds? He's another ~330 guy.

Now, Manny is the wild card here. He didn't show any patience in 2012. Only walking 9 times in 202 plate appearances. His minors paint him as an OBP guy, though. About +80.

Markakis...he's a guy we missed for..what? About 2 months? Something like that?

We need a middle of the order bat. Someone who can actually sport a 360+ OBP. Ideally a 380 OBP guy.

It's always nice to hear what Dan has to say but I'm taking everything he says with a grain of salt. First of all, the World Series hasn't even started yet. In other words, HE probably doesn't even know what he's gonna do yet. He's probably got a plan of who he might go after and such but guys haven't had options picked up or declined yet and certain guys haven't had contracts tendered or not. And these are the types of guys we're gonna be on, not the big free agent types.

And I think that's the one area we can all agree on and take Dan's word: no big time FAs.

I'm very excited to see what he does though. I think we'll see a couple guys moved with some interesting pieces come back. And for once, going into an offseason of not knowing what's going to happen, I'm not expecting the worst. I'm anxiously looking forward to the upcoming moves after seeing what him and his staff and scouts did last offseason, and during the season.

DD really made a flurry of moves last year. Bulk pieces coming and going, like SoxHotCorner said he saw in the minors in Boston. Out with the old, in with the new. DD really throws [crap] against the wall and sees what sticks. Not afraid to take a chance on some new guy, quick to pull the trigger when they suck. I'm excited for this offseason too! Dan will make moves NONE of us ever thought of. :)

These guys come to mind:

Justin Upton

Victor Martinez

Ian Kinsler

Shin Soo Choo

David Wright

Chris Young

I wouldent mind victor martinez and would love david wright but duquette already said manny at 3b and hardy at ss. Justin upton is just more of what we already have, power and no obp. Shin shoochoo would be nice but hes a #2 hitter, not middle of order and not much of an upgrade over mcclouth. Ian kinsler hit .252 and 19 hrs this year, we can get that from flaherty.

I agree with CoC that I don't believe all of it, especially the part about Hardy and Machado for the next 2 years.

Why would you not believe that? Do you think they'll move a superb fielding SS to second just to put Machado at short? Hardy also has a limited no-trade clause. Do you think they'll try to work out a trade of a guy that Buck likes to put Machado at short?

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I see no reason for the lack of credulity about this one.

Wonders for our OBP?

Nate McLouth career OBP is 335. Hell, his last 3 years he's only rocked a 332 OBP. But if you think he can go higher, by all means...

Now, Manny is the wild card here. He didn't show any patience in 2012. Only walking 9 times in 202 plate appearances. His minors paint him as an OBP guy, though. About +80.

We need a middle of the order bat. Someone who can actually sport a 360+ OBP. Ideally a 380 OBP guy.

Like you said, manny only had 202 plate appearences. You arent going to find many rookies walking a ton in their first 202 atbats. His obp will dramatically increase next year as he gains experience against major league pitching. Ive said it before and ill say it again; i think manny will end up our middle of the order guy next year

I wouldent mind victor martinez and would love david wright but duquette already said manny at 3b and hardy at ss. Justin upton is just more of what we already have, power and no obp. Shin shoochoo would be nice but hes a #2 hitter, not middle of order and not much of an upgrade over mcclouth. Ian kinsler hit .252 and 19 hrs this year, we can get that from flaherty.

I disagree about Upton, his .355 OBP last year in a down season was decent, and would have been the second best OBP on the Orioles. His career .357 OBP would help the team substantially given his power and likelihood of improving since he's still very young.

Upton's OBP is about 80 points higher than his BA, so that's just wrong.

Why would you not believe that? Do you think they'll move a superb fielding SS to second just to put Machado at short? Hardy also has a limited no-trade clause. Do you think they'll try to work out a trade of a guy that Buck likes to put Machado at short?

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I see no reason for the lack of credulity about this one.

I think within the next 2 years, we'll find a trade with Hardy that makes sense. We won't just take anything, but with Manny being a SS long term, I think DD is gonna try to get him over there soon before he plays himself into a permanent 3B.

Wonders for our OBP?

We need a middle of the order bat. Someone who can actually sport a 360+ OBP. Ideally a 380 OBP guy.[/QUOTE]

Finally someone that see the real issues with this team and all of you clamoring for Bourne....he can't help you in this department.....The orioles have been lacking a true middle of the lineup bat since they signed Albert Belle and I agree Mclouth was nice for 2 months at the league minimum but how much can we expect out of him for a full year. IMO there is no way that Andino is back and we need to look to upgrade LF & 1B as well.....How many teams employ a defensive 1B full time??? Reynolds had a horrendous year that was maked by a great 2 weeks in August

Like you said, manny only had 202 plate appearences. You arent going to find many rookies walking a ton in their first 202 atbats. His obp will dramatically increase next year as he gains experience against major league pitching. Ive said it before and ill say it again; i think manny will end up our middle of the order guy next year

Manny's OBP of .294 this year is actually better than what Mike Trout's was in his first year in the majors in 2011 (.281). Just saying!

Trout went from 9 BB in 135 PA (6.67% BB rate) to 67 BB in 639 PA (10.5% BB rate).

Not saying that Machado will be as good as Trout was with the bat but there is a precedent for elite talent to show big improvement in their first full season.

Archived