Dan Duquette interviewed on The Fan

wildcard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the end of the day, isn't it the owner's decision whether or not to pursue "expensive FAs"? If Angelos wants Hamilton, he'll get Hamilton whether Duquette likes it or not...

Yea, right. Angelos who has not had a winner in 14 years is going to tell Duquette how a build a team.

Angelos employs Duquette...not the other way around. No Senior Vice Presidents are telling the CEO how to handle his business...

I think PA used to think that way. Oops there goes Davey Johnson. But after losing for years and seeing his invest not grow the way it could have I think PA is just glad to have someone that knows how to make the club win. I think DD calling him Mr Angelos and showing some respect also helps.

I think PA used to think that way. Oops there goes Davey Johnson. But after losing for years and seeing his invest not grow the way it could have I think PA is just glad to have someone that knows how to make the club win. I think DD calling him Mr Angelos and showing some respect also helps.

I think this is accurate. I'm also willing to give PA some credit for signing off on Buck, hiring DD, and allowing the international push.

Conspicuous by its absence was any mention of trades. Not signing big $ FA's doesn't mean not trading for a big $ guy. I'd be all over David Wright if the deal was...errr right. I think we have some pitching to deal.

I'm interested in seeing what Wada turns into, and I'm pretty confident that DD is going to find another nugget.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two involving the likes of Arrieta, Britton, ,or Davis, and maybe some MiL propects thrown in as well. But I don't see any big ticket FA signings. More like Saunders and McLouth, and maybe a 3B like Izturis, Keppinger, or Scutaro, if Hardy is traded. I see lots of MiL contracts to international FA's, and new versions of McLouth. Ford Gonzalez, etc.

Worth a listen: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/10/17/dan-duquette-recaps-orioles-great-season/

1) No expensive FAs

2) Would like McLouth back

3) Looking at how much it will take to sign Reynolds but loves his glove at 1st

4) Believes Davis can play the OF corners, 1B and DH

5) Will continue to add players from around the world

6) Machado at 3B and Hardy at SS for at least two years

7) Promoting that Bundy and Gausman could make a jump from AA. He is not saying when

8) Flaherty playing winter ball to get more at bats; promoting his HR/AB ratio in 2nd half

9) Roberts is working out to be ready for ST but if he can't make it back the O's have other options

Well, I can't say I like the sound of this.

McClouth is probably not an everyday player on a good team, and could very easily regress back into the player he was from 2010 to early 2012. Second base is a black hole, and I don't think that Andino, Flaherty, or Roberts can play there everyday and be as productive as necessary for us to be competitive. And it's probably unrealistic to expect that none of the 4 starters currently on the roster for next year(Chen, Hammel, Tillman, and Gonzalez) will regress considerably, despite the fact that none of them has a real track record at the Major League level.

We'll see how this all plays out but I am officially a little worried about next year now.

Well, I can't say I like the sound of this.

And it's probably unrealistic to expect that none of the 4 starters currently on the roster for next year(Chen, Hammel, Tillman, and Gonzalez) will regress considerably, despite the fact that none of them has a real track record at the Major League level.

We'll see how this all plays out but I am officially a little worried about next year now.

I'm a pretty optimistic guy in the main, but I think all of them but Gonzo are very likely to have as good or better years next year.

Hammel has a reasonable track record and will be fully healthy. He was pitching like a legit TOR prior to getting hurt...I was waiting for the no-hitter to come.

Chen looks as though his good NBL stats translated well to MLB and will be able to stretch out more next season now that he has a year under his belt in the bigs. Maybe I just *really* want this to be real with Tillman...but I think it is. Gonzo is the one that kind of came out of nowhere and could regress. I'll leave that up to the excellent coaching.

Honestly, I'm almost OK with signing Saunders to a reasonable deal and being done with the pitching staff. If things look good at the ASB next year, then we can look to grab another arm if need be

You're right about McClouth...he's a mystery. He was so clutch down the stretch that I'd be OK with signing him if the money was right. T'would be great if Reimold, Hoes, or Avery has a great spring though.

Actually he had a 827 OPS this year so that is a 800-900 range.

I said usually. But I guess that's even a bit misleading, since he's had five major league seasons. Two over .800, one under .600, and two in the .700s. So I'm not sure we can generalize his typical performance into any specific, small bin. I won't be terribly surprised if he ends up 2012 anywhere between .650 and .850.

Archived