Twitter rumor: Os ready to make HUGE offer for Hamilton

Rene88

God, what a perfect metaphor. Absolutely perfect. I can see DD lining up the kick in his big yellow shirt with the black stripe. However, the difference between DD and some others is that he seems to know how to get stuff done. Like, I haven't heard of him making unrealistic offers, etc. I get the sense that he really is a brainiac, and a little bit calculating and cold with negotiations. I have confidence that he could - if he wanted, and the Angelos family wanted - get a deal done.

Yeah, I coud visualize DD in one of those classic Charlie Brown shirts lining up the football while PA sets it down for him.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
God, what a perfect metaphor. Absolutely perfect. I can see DD lining up the kick in his big yellow shirt with the black stripe. However, the difference between DD and some others is that he seems to know how to get stuff done. Like, I haven't heard of him making unrealistic offers, etc. I get the sense that he really is a brainiac, and a little bit calculating and cold with negotiations. I have confidence that he could - if he wanted, and the Angelos family wanted - get a deal done.

I don't see negotiating as being one of his strengths. DD seems willing to overpay for what he wants where AM would wear the opposition down for the best price possible.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/8610003/texas-rangers-max-offer-josh-hamilton-3-years-report-says

No surprises, but the bar has been set pretty low. I would imagine Texas is giving him the lowest offer on the table this off season.

Wow - that is a joke offer. I would think we could start at 4/80. Clearly, Texas wanted to supplemental pick, and then they want to say goodbye to Josh. Sometimes, an environment grows poisoned - at no great fault of any single person. I think Texas had WS expectations this year. They collectively blew it - as an organization. And Hamilton took MORE than his fair share of the blame, IMO. This could be the perfect buy-low guy, for those reasons. I have a feeling if he came here, he would really thrive. Don't know why for sure, but Buck seems to like hard-playing guys who need a daddy figure (Andino being the prime example).

Wow - that is a joke offer. I would think we could start at 4/80. Clearly, Texas wanted to supplemental pick, and then they want to say goodbye to Josh. Sometimes, an environment grows poisoned - at no great fault of any single person. I think Texas had WS expectations this year. They collectively blew it - as an organization. And Hamilton took MORE than his fair share of the blame, IMO. This could be the perfect buy-low guy, for those reasons. I have a feeling if he came here, he would really thrive. Don't know why for sure, but Buck seems to like hard-playing guys who need a daddy figure (Andino being the prime example).

Does sound like Texas has burned the bridge here doesn't it.

I don't see negotiating as being one of his strengths. DD seems willing to overpay for what he wants where AM would wear the opposition down for the best price possible.

Which is why AM was good with trades, but poor at getting FA. FA dont wear down, and usually get what they want from somewhere.

I would not say AM was a good negotiator in terms of getting top-tier free agents. I think he always saw them as overvalued, and sought to undercut the market. But the market is the market. So if DD goes out and gets a guy at market, or even slightly above, to beat the market... and he's THAT guy for the Orioles... then I say bravo.

Does sound like Texas has burned the bridge here doesn't it.

Unless I am missing something? Maybe they make a qualifying offer automatically, to ensure they get the pick no matter what. If it's understood as standard procedure, I guess no harm, no foul. But then the actual 3-year offer... wow. And holding that firm? If I were Hamilton, I would be sprinting out of Texas right about now, and not looking back.

When Hamilton dropped the fly ball in Oakland, it was clear to me that he had worn out his welcome. The question becomes whether or not we want that possibility on our team. This is one of the more tantalizing risk/reward free agents in ML history, and I hope if we do indeed make a "HUGE" offer, that it is in $$ and not in years.

If the Orioles sign Hamilton how many new season ticket plans will they sell this off season? 5,000 - 10,000? Rosenthal this afternoon thinks the four favorites to obtain Hamilton are Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington and the Orioles. What if they land R. A. Dickey (20-6 with a 2.73 ERA this season)from the Mets for the rotation? We've got the players the Mets would be interested in obtaining. Both players would really help the team. Playoff favorites for 2013? Bet your last $100 on it.

DD and PA need to strike quickly before the other teams start making their moves.

If the Orioles sign Hamilton how many new season ticket plans will they sell this off season? 5,000 - 10,000? Rosenthal this afternoon thinks the four favorites to obtain Hamilton are Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington and the Orioles. What if they land R. A. Dickey (20-6 with a 2.73 ERA this season)from the Mets for the rotation? We've got the players the Mets would be interested in obtaining. Both players would really help the team. Playoff favorites for 2013? Bet your last $100 on it.

DD and PA need to strike quickly before the other teams start making their moves.

I think adding Hamilton fills two ginormous needs - left field and MOO bat. But I think their only chance of signing him quick would be that elusive WOW offer, and that's exactly the kind of offer so many people seem to want to avoid. Not sure if DD feels the same way, though. It's kind of nice thinking that even if they miss out on the Hamiltons of the world, DD will probably do a lot of cool, smart, smaller things that will tangibly help the club next year. He seems to understand how all the puzzle pieces work together in real-life game situations - he and Buck, that is.

voice of reason

@incarceratedbob Bob ,Mr. Angelos is far too cheap & Hamilton's medical history and his extracurricular activities make the chances remote.

So he now has both sides covered. If the O's make an offer, he predicted it. If they don't make an offer, well, he predicted that too. Well done Bob.

I think adding Hamilton fills two ginormous needs - left field and MOO bat. But I think their only chance of signing him quick would be that elusive WOW offer, and that's exactly the kind of offer so many people seem to want to avoid. Not sure if DD feels the same way, though. It's kind of nice thinking that even if they miss out on the Hamiltons of the world, DD will probably do a lot of cool, smart, smaller things that will tangibly help the club next year. He seems to understand how all the puzzle pieces work together in real-life game situations - he and Buck, that is.

I think all signs point to Hamilton not getting remotely what he wants money wise, and him not signing for a good while because of that waiting on better offers.

From Roch's Blog today:

I spoke with a few more members of the organization yesterday who basically dismissed Josh Hamilton as a possibility in left field.

One person, referring to Hamilton's past issues with drugs and alcohol, said, "He just doesn't fit our personality. I like the player, but I don't see it happening." There's also the money issue, of course.

An executive speculated that the national media "made the connection" between the Orioles and Hamilton because the club is seeking a DH or left fielder. That's pretty much all it takes at the GM and Winter Meetings.

Archived