Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Definitely seems like Matt has his head screwed on straight. He has come to some good conclusions & realizations that hopefully help him turn things around. Sounds like he's pretty comfortable talking about all he's been through. Some good questions by both McNeil & Rickli.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this guy pitching to be on the 40-man this year? This will be his 5th year in the organization, correct?

I am still hopeful. I feel that people focus WAY to much on his velocity… and Matt needs to not let that get to him. He needs to learn to pitch. That's what's going to get him to the Big Leagues.

The interviewer talks way too much about Matt being drafted in the 1st round and Matt's past. Let's move on…. everyone. He's just a prospect like the rest of the guys in A and AA now. The past is the past. Time to move on.

Let's move on…. everyone. He's just a prospect like the rest of the guys in A and AA now. The past is the past. Time to move on.
14. Stephen Tarpley - LHP

15. Parker Bridwell - RHP

17. Steven Brault - LHP

18. Josh Stinson - RHP

20. Olelky Peralta - RHP

21. Travis Seabrooke - LHP *Plus Members only*

23. Oliver Drake - RHP *Plus Members only*

24. Branden Kline - RHP *Plus Members only*

25. Marcel Prado - RHP *Plus Members only*

27. Tyler Wilson - RHP *Plus Members only*

28. Jon Keller - RHP *Plus Members only*

30. Eddie Gamboa

All of these guys have a better shot than Matt. Failed first rounders abound after five years.

All of these guys have a better shot than Matt. Failed first rounders abound after five years.

Probably true, but at least he stayed healthy, pitched 93 innings and regained velocity last year. Hopefully he can make further strides this year. He's not completely off my radar.

I think this is a huge year for Matt. He could be anywhere from completely out of baseball to pitching in Baltimore by September, IMO. His 2013 was very uneven with him being pretty good except in two months (June/August) which happen to be the months he pitched the most innings. There were for the first time since the draft flashes of the velocity he showed has a Sr in HS. I think there is a pretty decent chance he puts it together showing a 94-97 MPH FB with decent secondaries out of the Pen. He has pretty good GB rates and does not give up the long ball. This is a guy that could move fast in the pen if his good outings become the norm and he actually stays healthy. If he starts striking guys out consistently he could be the future closer in Baltimore. I was really impressed with his interview, I think he is a kid that gets it and is a great surprise pick for this season. That being said there is a pretty good chance his shoulder does not hold up. Hopefully he is a great story to follow this season.

I would like to see him stay at Frederick all year unless he absolutely falls apart, and start every 5-6 days. Even if he has to work on a pitch count, he needs to get reps and there is no better way to be sure he gets in his reps. And there seems to be room in the rotation at Frederick.

He may not a starter long-term, but who knows if he can stay healthy and just what he may be capable of. I know he is likely a BP arm long-term. This year should be a big year for him, no doubt. I liked the interview. I am pulling for him.

I would like to see him stay at Frederick all year unless he absolutely falls apart, and start every 5-6 days. Even if he has to work on a pitch count, he needs to get reps and there is no better way to be sure he gets in his reps. And there seems to be room in the rotation at Frederick.

He may not a starter long-term, but who knows if he can stay healthy and just what he may be capable of. I know he is likely a BP arm long-term. This year should be a big year for him, no doubt. I liked the interview. I am pulling for him.

You know at some point he is going to become a minor league free agent right?

I don't think the O's can afford to go year by year, level by level with him as a starter.

If they are going to get something out of their investment, it will be in the pen.

Not sure if he can be a 6 year minor league FA this year or after 2015. However, if he were to show them that he's a legit prospect this year as a starter, he could be added to the 40 man roster and that would buy the team up to another 3 years. Just saying.

Here is a definition of a six-year MiL free agent:

MLB RULE 55: Sometimes called a "Six-Year Minor League Free-Agent," an unsigned minor league player is automatically declared a free-agent per MLB Rule 55 if the player has spent all or any part of at least seven separate seasons on a minor league roster (including all or parts of any season spent on Optional Assignment to the minors), and/or if the player has been previously released or non-tendered in his career and his present contract (known as a "second contract" even if it's his third or fourth minor league contract) has expired. For purposes of determining eligibility to be a free-agent, a player does not accrue a minor league season if the player spends the entire season on an MLB Active List, MLB Disabled List(s), and/oror other MLB Inactive List, or if the player spends an entire season on the Restricted List, Disqualified List, Suspended List, Ineligible List, Voluntarily Retired List, and/or Military List. Also, participation in a post-season instructional league, Arizona Fall League, and/or winter league do not count toward a minor league season. Note that a player who ordinarily would have been declared a Rule 55 minor league free-agent is NOT eligible to be a free-agent if the player is either added to an MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) or agrees to a minor league successor contract with his previous club by 5:00 PM (Eastern) on October 15th or by 5:00 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day following the conclusion of the World Series (whichever is later). The deadline for an MLB club to tender a contract to an unsigned minor league player who had previously agreed to a successor contract is January 15th. If an unsigned minor league player is not tendered a contract by January 15th, the player becomes an unrestricted free-agent.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3563

So if I follow this correctly, the earliest Hobgood could be a MiL free agent would be after the 2015 season, and the O's could avoid that by putting him on the 40-man roster before the deadline after the end of the 2015 World Series. That seems like ample time.

Here is a definition of a six-year MiL free agent:

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3563

So if I follow this correctly, the earliest Hobgood could be a MiL free agent would be after the 2015 season, and the O's could avoid that by putting him on the 40-man roster before the deadline after the end of the 2015 World Series. That seems like ample time.

I only stated that it would be an issue if the O's converted him back to starting and were annual in his promotions.

Archived