Orioles are one of the teams that the Twins have contacted in regards to Justin Morneau

FlipCup

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can think of 15 million reasons why Morneau would be a poor fit.

Also, Davis demonstrated that he can stay healthy and hit. Assuming he fields 1b well, I see no need to replace him immediately. .270 avg with 33 bombs...that's awesome production for 1b. Morneau becomes an expensive question mark.

He's healthy. He hits. He's shown he can field the position, which I'm not sure Davis or Betemit can do.
Lets see Zack Britton and Jake Arrieta plus 14M gets one year of Justin Morneau coming off injury at age 32, or I can have a healthy Chris Davis at 3.3M for3 years at age 27. Hmmmmn. Tough decision.:rolleyestf:

Lets see Zack Britton and Jake Arrieta plus 14M gets one year of Justin Morneau coming off injury at age 32, or I can have a healthy Chris Davis at 3.3M for3 years at age 27. Hmmmmn. Tough decision.:rolleyestf:

Me thinks Clancy has been dipping into his own stash!

haskett.JPG

I think we should be very interested in a healthy Mourneau - especially if we pursued LaRoche.

I don't think Mourneau will cost a lot in prospects right now as Minn probably wants to move the salary. If the season starts and Mourneau heats up, the prospect cost could rise considerably during the year.

Mourneau's cost would be $ and a roster spot. It would not surprise me if our FO has been circling here and waiting to see if Mourneau is healthy and if the cost has declined as the seasona approaches.

Chris Davis at 3.3 AND Britton/Arrieta+

Morneau isn't really a fit, is he? OPS .569 vs. LHP in 2012 and .728 lifetime. He would be redundant with Betemit, IMO. With Davis and Betemit on the team for much less money, I see no reason for the Orioles to spend money, prospects, and roster space on Morneau. Looking at our roster needs, it seems to me that the last DH/Bench spot almost has to be a right-handed bat. I understand the view that Morneau may be a good buy-low candidate right now (in terms of the prospects it would take to get him now vs. later if he proves healthy and productive), but I just don't see the fit with our existing roster.

Morneau isn't really a fit, is he? OPS .569 vs. LHP in 2012 and .728 lifetime. He would be redundant with Betemit, IMO. With Davis and Betemit on the team for much less money, I see no reason for the Orioles to spend money, prospects, and roster space on Morneau. Looking at our roster needs, it seems to me that the last DH/Bench spot almost has to be a right-handed bat. I understand the view that Morneau may be a good buy-low candidate right now (in terms of the prospects it would take to get him now vs. later if he proves healthy and productive), but I just don't see the fit with our existing roster.

Mourneau has had several seasons better than anyone on our current roster. If he is healthy, he may not be able to produce what he once did, but he has a pretty big upside for someone who will only cost $ and a roster spot.

If we may any play for LaRoche at 2/$26M and a loss of a first round pick, why wouldn't we be kicking the tires on Mourneau?

Mourneau has had several seasons better than anyone on our current roster. If he is healthy, he may not be able to produce what he once did, but he has a pretty big upside for someone who will only cost $ and a roster spot.

If we may any play for LaRoche at 2/$26M and a loss of a first round pick, why wouldn't we be kicking the tires on Mourneau?

But he hasn't had one of those seasons in over two years. He's making far too much to be considered an upgrade considering his production, especially the precipitous drop in the power department. That, and if Brian Roberts is to be worried about given his concussion history, I don't see how the same can't or shouldn't be said for Morneau. He'd be redundant, a poor fit, and a waste of money unless Minnesota would eat a lot of his contract. That, and they could just go after him in the offseason if they really wanted him, possibly for even cheaper if his power numbers don't return, at which point not a lot of teams will be interested anyway.

I've already answered your question.

By the way, though I don't agree that it is overly relevant, LaRoche does not have as extreme of platoon splits as Morneau. 2012 OPs .825 vs. LHP; career .750. That contrast is more stark in recent years. Additionally, LaRoche's defense was also a major reason for the Orioles' interest, from the articles written at the time. Morneau doesn't fill that perceived need. We also are already carrying one high-salary player with a history of concussion-related difficulties. Morneau just isn't a fit for us at all, IMO.

I'm not sure if he'll only cost money. He was claimed by the Dodgers last August and the Twins could have unloaded the entire portion of his remaining salary but didn't.

Archived