Wada's Return May Be Sooner than Expected: Showalter

OFFNY

I'd have to think that he is heading back to Japan after this season anyway.

That may come sooner than expected if they ask him to take a MiL assignment. He may just decide he's bitten off a little more than he can chew.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That may come sooner than expected if they ask him to take a MiL assignment. He may just decide he's bitten off a little more than he can chew.

He is contractually enabled to do that, and then he could go join Daniel Cabrera and Brad Bergensen. I hope that he has a bit more pride and honor and continues to try to contribute to the organization that has paid him 8 million dollars, but that is just old school, I guess.

He is contractually enabled to do that, and then he could go join Daniel Cabrera and Brad Bergensen. I hope that he has a bit more pride and honor and continues to try to contribute to the organization that has paid him 8 million dollars, but that is just old school, I guess.

Pride, perhaps, but it certainly would not be dishonorable for him to refuse a minor league assignment. The Orioles agreed up front that he would have to approve any such assignment. To honor the terms of one's contract is, by definition, not dishonorable.

Garcia? Humiliated in Houston Freddy Garcia.

Maybe I am out of the loop but why not let Wada take those lumps, there is zero upside to starting Freddy, also zero chance he would make a post season roster.

Because Wada isn't sufficiently recovered from his surgery to be a major league contributor, while Garcia has given the O's four or five acceptable starts out of seven.

Agreed. I hope he accepts a MiL assignment and I think he will. I'm not too bummed, he may just need a longer period to sharpen his command back to what it was in Japan.

I agree with this; seems as if he is improving, just not at a quick enough rate to be ready by the drop-dead date in mid-June. Hopefully he sees that too and accepts at least an agreed extension of that date into July, so they can at least delay a decision.

On June 15th, only $2.3 million or so will remain on his contract. The rest has been spent. If he can't help up here and he won't take a MiL assignment, to heck with him. He would have to really impress over the rest of the season for them to offer him $3.2 million for next year, which I believe is the least amount they would be able to offer. He may just say, "Thank you," and go home on June 16th. At least that would save the O's some money.

I still think that Wada's most likely avenue for contributing at the big league level this season will be as a replacement for Patton, if Patton can't get it together. I haven't seen anything from Wada to suggest that he'd be an upgrade in the rotation over Garcia or Gausman.

I still think that Wada's most likely avenue for contributing at the big league level this season will be as a replacement for Patton, if Patton can't get it together. I haven't seen anything from Wada to suggest that he'd be an upgrade in the rotation over Garcia or Gausman.

I agree.

When Chen comes back, Wada is def not an upgrade over any of the 5.

I just don't see where he fits with this team anymore. He can't crack the rotation and I don't think he will be effective out of the pen.

I am guessing that DD and PA already wrote this signing off.

So, according to Roch, Buck said Wada's stuff was the best its been so far with an uptick in velocity. We have to remember that he is coming back from Tommy John. Obviously it's a good thing that he is, reportedly, saying he would accept a demotion to the minors. Perhaps, all he needs is more time to totally get his feel back. It might be premature to think that he can't help out the Orioles at all this season.

So, according to Roch, Buck said Wada's stuff was the best its been so far with an uptick in velocity. We have to remember that he is coming back from Tommy John. Obviously it's a good thing that he is, reportedly, saying he would accept a demotion to the minors. Perhaps, all he needs is more time to totally get his feel back. It might be premature to think that he can't help out the Orioles at all this season.

That's one of the more reasonable posts in this thread.

Can't believe some of you want to give up on a japanese superstar pitcher, you're really that content with TJ, Garcia, Gausman? Wada has more upside than them right now. Remember in ST when Buck said he has #2 stuff

Archived