Peter Angelos...Good owner or Bad owner.

OsLuvrInKy

Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peter Angelos a good MLB team owner?

• YES he is a good owner
    • NO he is not a good owner

Oh look:

94% - No

6% - Yes (all of which are probably troll votes)

Who could have ever guessed this poll would have turned out this way? Its almost as if this thread was designed solely for eliciting more anti-Angelos rants. No. No. Wait a minute. That's too cynical. The thread creator was probably genuinely curious if Angelos was a good owner or bad owner. I'm sure of it.

[video=youtube;y2R3FvS4xr4]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh look:

94% - No

6% - Yes (all of which are probably troll votes)

Who could have ever guessed this poll would have turned out this way? Its almost as if this thread was designed solely for eliciting more anti-Angelos rants. No. No. Wait a minute. That's too cynical. The thread creator was probably genuinely curious if Angelos was a good owner or bad owner. I'm sure of it.

The 6% of people have to be on some kind of drug or on his payroll.

Is this poll a joke.

Angelos sucks

Bad owner but not as bad as some on here make him out to be. He is much less involved in what's going on with Duquettes decisions right now then he used to be. I think he really wants a winning team in Baltimore. I think he wants Orioles fans to see a playoff team. I think he wants to do it the right way and not spend a zillion dollars on free agents that don't deserve what they are getting. All the quotes from him show that he does not like how much free agents get, and that he wants to try to control the free agent spending. A lot of people take that as him pocketing money instead of spending it on the team. I take it as him not wanting to pay a 39 year old average player 25 million dollars and I'm okay with that.

I do know that I am in the very, very few minority when it comes to this. I am not trying to defend Angelos. We have not won with him as owner. I would not give out some of the contracts that some on here want to give out though, which is why I can't completely bash the guy for not topping the contracts that Hamilton, Fielder, Pujols, or many otherse have gotten.

FYI, I haven't read the rest of the thread - just wanted to comment on the above.

I couldn't agree more that baseball players make too much money, and I couldn't even blame PA for holding a similar (if not identical) opinion. The amount of money that goes into pro sports, generally speaking, has actually made it really, really difficult for me to follow...well, sports. Baseball, being the primary sport that I played/watched as a kid, is basically my last professional "holdout"...I don't follow teams that aren't the Orioles closely.

That being said, PA's made his money as a torts lawyer. Speaking as a person who'd argue that few, if any, lawyers (myself included) do anything to justify the way-higher-than-average salaries that typically attach to being lawyers - let alone the absolutely massive take-homes that PA's tallied over the course of his career - I think it's ironic-bordering-on-offensive that PA would (1) purchase a professional sports team, and (2) turn his nose up at the salaries dictated by the market within which his team operates.

Apparently someone who's really fast/strong, and who can hit and/or throw a ball really hard, can earn tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in this country. Well, that kinda sucks. Apparently someone who's really smart can earn tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in this country by by taking 30-40% of the court awards earmarked for cancer victims and their families. That kinda sucks, too.

The market is what it is, both in- and outside of baseball. I won't hold it against PA if he thinks someone like Hamilton is a poor investment (because someone like Hamilton IS a poor investment), but if PA will simply never, under any circumstances, choose to give out a $20+ million per year salary, or up the payroll to a point where sustainable winning is possible, then he needs to GTFO of ownership.

That is all.

FYI, I haven't read the rest of the thread - just wanted to comment on the above.

I couldn't agree more that baseball players make too much money, and I couldn't even blame PA for holding a similar (if not identical) opinion. The amount of money that goes into pro sports, generally speaking, has actually made it really, really difficult for me to follow...well, sports. Baseball, being the primary sport that I played/watched as a kid, is basically my last professional "holdout"...I don't follow teams that aren't the Orioles closely.

That being said, PA's made his money as a torts lawyer. Speaking as a person who'd argue that few, if any, lawyers (myself included) do anything to justify the way-higher-than-average salaries that typically attach to being lawyers - let alone the absolutely massive take-homes that PA's tallied over the course of his career - I think it's ironic-bordering-on-offensive that PA would (1) purchase a professional sports team, and (2) turn his nose up at the salaries dictated by the market within which his team operates.

Thanks for pointing out the irony. Here is some background on Angelos' fortune. Please note that the state's settlement against big tobacco was for $4 billion, of which Angelos' firm was originally going to get 25% ($1 billion). Glendening reneged on that deal, and Angelos' firm only took home $500M for their services rendered.
With a personal fortune of millions, huge contributions to state and national Democrats, a tight relationship with top labor leaders and the cachet of his Orioles ownership, Angelos is a potent force in the halls of power. In Annapolis, he employs a former state senator as his personal lobbyist, meets legislators for dinner at his favorite Italian restaurant and, when necessary, brings in Orioles celebrities such as Cal Ripken Jr. to awe lawmakers.

That unparalleled influence allows Angelos a twist on the lawyer's adage: If the facts are against you, argue the law; if the law is against you, change it.

He made most of his first fortune as a plaintiff's lawyer in asbestos cases, and his Baltimore law firm still handles the bulk of them in Maryland. The bill that he drafted to reverse the court ruling is pending in Annapolis. It would lift the cap on awards in asbestos cases – and only asbestos cases – potentially earning more money for his firm.

Over the years, Angelos has used his amassed power to change laws that have benefited his law practice and helped ensure that his cases come out on top. At his request, more judges have been named to hear asbestos cases in Baltimore, and significant alterations in state law have made it easier to sue asbestos makers and tobacco companies.

Angelos was the state's lawyer in suing cigarette makers to recoup past Medicaid payments for smoking-related illnesses, and he now stands to earn a fee that could be as high as $1 billion.

source - Washington Post, Mar 28, 1999

MASN would like to use this poll only with what they believe to be a small and inconsequential tweak - Peter Angelos: Great or the Greatest Owner? Choose below.

Thanks Bruno. I surely did need a laugh this morning. However there should be a 3rd option of "All of the above"....LOL

Archived