Stark ranks O's as having 4th worst offseason in MLB at 1/2way point.

BrunoCherrytown

We are not alone.

From Dan Connolly's Blog comments. Some folks who appear to be sorry the world did not end.

Actually, if I read that the Orioles had just broken the bank to sign some high-priced free agent, I'd take that as a clear sign that the acopolypse has arrived.

As to what was predicted in the polls last spring, and by various "experts," the great thing about baseball is that it defies predictability. Not all the time, but often enough to keep you humble and always awaiting the next surprise. I can honestly say that I have no idea how the Orioles will do in 2013. 81 wins, plus or minus 15, is about as close as I can get.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lance917 at 1:48 PM December 21, 2012

There isn't any doubt in my mind that the sun writers that cover oriole baseball are under restrictions to what they can write and say. Not so much with the ravens.There puppets down there at the sunpapers. Angelos himself said that he would do what ever possible to upgrade this team in the offseason.GM"s every where around the league have said the number 1 biggest surprise in the off season has been the lack of any significant signing. They all have said how could you not take advantage of the increased fan support and interest by not trying to follow what was accomplished last year.I will still take this one step further then anybody. I want to again asked the question why there hasn't been 1 thing said about any extension for Buck and Dan for that matter. I still say talks are gone on behind the scenes to sell this i team to fox for 1 billion dollars. Just a haunch but something stinks in demmark.

atkins%20pic.JPG

djhnsn9 at 12:12 PM December 21, 2012

Dan, I think you are confusing the fans frustration with not doing ANYTHING. Most of the fans I know aren't expecting 140 million payroll. WHat we are expecting is when the number 1 stated need is a power hitting 1st baseman and one is available at a reasonable 3 year deal, the club needs to take chance and upgrade. Having Laroche not only provides the power bat but would cement the best infield defense in the league. I get the build through free agency but Peter Angelos cannot conitnue to think the fans are stupid. He is making money hand over fist and had promised more assets due to the television network. This hasn't materialized and HE OWES THIS TO THE FANS. If he doesn't want to win then sell the team and get the hell out of the way for someone who does. Again its not that the Orioles should go out and spend Greinke or Hamilton money but Laroche fits right deal right price right DO SOMETHING! I think DD is a shrewd GM and if he had the financial backing he could build a club through a combination of smart free agents and the draft.

The Orioles over the last 61 games went 40 and 21. We lost Reynolds and a few inconsequential plyers and picked up Casilla and a few inconsequential players. What makes everyone think we are going to regress. The Yankees are weaker Tampa is weaker , Boston and Toronto have made moves but who knows if they will work out.

You could flip the coin here and say why does everyone think the Yankees and Rays are going to regress. Yanks have about the same team. Rays got rid of Shields but he's not their only pitcher and they still have the CY Young winner!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7581486/mlb-spring-preview-offseason-review

Stark said that we were the 2nd least improved ballclub last year too. Just in front of the A's.

Don't pay attention to Stark.

Analysts aren't perfect and if you watch sports you would know every year in every sport surprise teams come forward. If they didn't, the games wouldn't be played and we'd go to the playoffs by now instead of wasting peoples time. It's one thing to surprise, it's another to repeat it, that doesn't often happen to surprise teams.

Analysts aren't perfect and if you watch sports you would know every year in every sport surprise teams come forward. If they didn't, the games wouldn't be played and we'd go to the playoffs by now instead of wasting peoples time. It's one thing to surprise, it's another to repeat it, that doesn't often happen to surprise teams.

I think we surprised with young talent. Not Pythagoras. And some found nuggets. JUST a move or two could be the tipping point this coming year to me.

And all that MiL depth Duquette is so WONT to acquire.

e:MFL-ready depth.

You could flip the coin here and say why does everyone think the Yankees and Rays are going to regress. Yanks have about the same team. Rays got rid of Shields but he's not their only pitcher and they still have the CY Young winner!

They also lost Upton who was a very good, underrated player for them, and Keppinger. I like the Rays, think they will contend again, but I do think they are a bit weaker than last year. Maddon will keep them in it, he always does.

Archived