Roch: Tigers covet Hardy

ChaosLex

Betemit got so many AB vs. LHP last year because we needed him to man 3B so often, which hopefully won't be necessary in 2013. However, I ackowledge that I'd like one more legit RH bat, rather than counting on "depth" like Valencia or Pearce

As would I. But if Morse proves to be too expensive, I won't lose any sleep over one of them getting 150ish PAs primarily against lefties.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is going to be a corner infielder coming back to the O's in this exchange, I wonder if there's a better chance of it being the Cubs' Dan Vogelbach than Castellanos. Frankly, Castellanos isn't getting traded to anyone unless it's part of a blockbuster package - not something based around J.J. Hardy plus one of Arrieta/Matusz/Britton. The Tigers' front office would need fresh knickers after laughing that offer out of town. Castellanos is a Top 20 overall prospect who's reached AA ball at 20 years old - and earned it, as opposed to other Tigers prospects - and is one of the highest-regarded bats in all the minor leagues.

But Vogelbach - he of the Prince Fielder-esque 6'0 250 lbs build - absolutely ANNIHILATED Rookie and Low-A ball last year as a 19 year old, to the tune of .322/.410./.641 with 17 homers in only 245 at bats, and a studly 48/35 K/BB ratio. As a first baseman, in Chicago he's blocked by Anthony Rizzo, and his body type doesn't lend itself to a transition to the outfield (although it looks uniquely suited to DH). Unless the Cubs are considered moving Rizzo off 1B for whatever reason, Vogelbach is prime trade bait. They'd probably want something more impressive than Rick Porcello in exchange for him, but it's easier to envision a deal involving him than Castellanos.

My own two cents is that I think we go after Morse and this whole thread becomes moot. But still...

I'm not willing to overlook 95% of Strop's season, but there is just no way that you can put him in the closer role from the outset. I'd much rather have Hunter in the closers role, or work Arrieta into it. We're talking Carlos Marmol implosions.

I love the Arrieta idea, if they end up having enough SP depth. Arrieta certainly has closer stuff. Not so sure about Hunter. He throw hard, but his ball is as straight as an arrow. And he can't seem to keep it down in the zone. I could see him imploding quite a bit in the closer role.

As has been discussed on here several times in the recent past, The Tigers are a great trade partner for us. I really think a JJ Hardy, Jim Johnson for Porcello, Castellanos and Peralta deal is a good trade for both teams. It would put Detroit over the top right now. And it would be great long term for the Orioles.

As has been discussed on here several times in the recent past, The Tigers are a great trade partner for us. I really think a JJ Hardy, Jim Johnson for Porcello, Castellanos and Peralta deal is a good trade for both teams. It would put Detroit over the top right now. And it would be great long term for the Orioles.

I don't think that gets it done on our end.

I would want more than that for both JJ's.

I don't think that gets it done on our end.

Is Castellanos that great of a prospect? I really dont know. I know he's only 20, but he didn't exactly do much at AA last year. Looking at his stats, maybe there are some plate discipline issues there. I realize BA is a lot more important for younger guys than more mature prospects. The two JJ's seem like a lot imo. I guess part of that depends on how you look at a "closer". I like Porcello, but I'm not in love with him and Peralta is just filler on the other end.

Is Castellanos that great of a prospect? I really dont know. I know he's only 20, but he didn't exactly do much at AA last year. Looking at his stats, maybe there are some plate discipline issues there. I realize BA is a lot more important for younger guys than more mature prospects. The two JJ's seem like a lot imo. I guess part of that depends on how you look at a "closer". I like Porcello, but I'm not in love with him and Peralta is just filler on the other end.

Good question. He tore up High A as a 20 y/o with a 1.014 OPS in 215 AB. However, he was dreadful in AA with a .678 in 322 AB. One thing Tony always talks about is K:BB ratio. At AA, his was 76:14. That's not a terrible K%, but 14 BB in 322 AB is troubling. I don't know anything about his defense really. If he can stick at 3B, obviously he's a lot more valuable.

Acquiring Porcello becomes a lot less intriguing if we lose Hardy, since Porcello is a GB pitcher and our defense would take a hit.

Peralta is filler, true. He would be valuable as a stop gap until Castellanos comes up and due to the lack of decent 3B in MLB, but he's nothing to write home about.

Jim Johnson is a very good closer, but he's also getting very expensive. I think at some point we'll need to trade him, and this might not be a bad deal to do it in.

He's the top 10 prospect in all of baseball ...

You seem to know a lot about him. Is he a plus defender at third base?
FWIW here's what Sickels has to say. See's him as a B+ Prospect:1) Nick Castellanos, OF-3B, Grade B+: Borderline A-. I'm not quite as high on him as some people are; he has some holes in his game including lack of patience, home run power that hasn't fully developed yet, defensive uncertainty, struggles in Double-A. An elite talent, yes, but with enough doubts to preclude an A-grade for me. "

Archived