Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

The Orioles can use an improvement at DH and LF. DD and Buck have been looking for a MOO bat, they've said it many times and Kubel could be a part of that order.

Kubel is a good #6, 30HRs, and OPACY is a hitter's park for left-handed hitters. Why not improve when we have the opportunity?

That short porch out there would be perfect, light levels of protection for AJ and Matt. And a guy who won't cause waves in the clubhouse.

Slugging % over .500 last year. You're not giving up too much in prospects vs. Upton.

MSK

How is a .800 OPS guy with bad defense and an $8M pricetag (in addition to what you have to trade to get him) going to improve the Orioles when they already have McLouth and Reimold and Betemit?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles can use an improvement at DH and LF. DD and Buck have been looking for a MOO bat, they've said it many times and Kubel could be a part of that order.

Kubel is a good #6, 30HRs, and OPACY is a hitter's park for left-handed hitters. Why not improve when we have the opportunity?

That short porch out there would be perfect, light levels of protection for AJ and Matt. And a guy who won't cause waves in the clubhouse.

Slugging % over .500 last year. You're not giving up too much in prospects vs. Upton.

MSK

Despite hitting 30 HR last year, he was worth 0.8 rWAR and 1.9 fWAR because his defense is atrocious. He sure ain't an improvement in LF. And, when considering the cost (in salary and players to acquire) he isn't much of an upgrade over Betemit, if he's even one at all.

How do you know that? It's a classic sell high scenario. They aren't going to just give him away.

But, I doubt that he is going to replicate that a career power year at age 30.

I think it's telling when that supposedly valuable 30 homer season was worth 0.8 rWAR. He has negative defensive value, and on the road he was a .750 OPS guy. And that was in the lesser league.

Despite hitting 30 HR last year, he was worth 0.8 rWAR and 1.9 fWAR because his defense is atrocious. He sure ain't an improvement in LF. And, when considering the cost (in salary and players to acquire) he isn't much of an upgrade over Betemit, if he's even one at all.

He even has similar weaknesses against left handers. And his salary is four times higher, and they'll have to trade something to get him.

I LIKE Reimold, I just don't know if he can stay healthy for the entire season.

I'm a little tired of always saying "if" when it comes to the Orioles. Just for once, I'd like a sure thing out of the gate.

MSK

And again, Kubel has had injury problems of his own in his career.

Not to mention productivity problems. I don't see how having a sure-thing 0.8 WAR player is that valuable.

Yep, but platitudes win the day for some posters I guess. If it was a simple choice between replacing Kubel over Betemit (primarily as DH), I could understand the case for Kubel providing a marginal advantage. Unfortunately, it's not that simple.
I hear your opinion. I am of the opinion that Reimold matches those numbers for cheaper and we're not losing any players.

It's both of these....while I like Kubel somewhat better than Betemit nobody is proposing we trade them straight up. We are going to have to give up something for Kubel and he just isn't a big enough upgrade.

Oh, so now you guys hate the MLB Network? I can understand BBTN on ESPN, but MLBN has been stellar overall in their analysis and coverage of the Orioles compared to every other sports channel out there.

If you don't watch the analysis, how can you be so certain that you won't agree?

MSK

MLBN is better than ESPN, yes, but they still have more interest in seeing a deal happen than not having it happen. If a trade is made, they get to continue talking about it.

Their interest is in having something to talk about, not making the Orioles better.

I LIKE Reimold, I just don't know if he can stay healthy for the entire season.

Last year was the 1st time since 2007 that he'd played in less than 126 games. He's not particularly injury prone. Not even close to BRob.

In 2008 he played a full season.

In 2009 he was 2 weeks shy of a full season.

In 2010 he played a full season.

In 2011 he played a full season.

In 2012 he played 1/10 of a season

I have every confidence that given a full season in LF, he could have an OBP of .335+ and hit 23 HRs.

Do you think the neck is going to keep bothering him? He says he's 100%

MLBN is better than ESPN, yes, but they still have more interest in seeing a deal happen than not having it happen. If a trade is made, they get to continue talking about it.

Their interest is in having something to talk about, not making the Orioles better.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! MLBN may be more balanced on the whole than ESPN (although I don't know how you measure such a thing, it's purely subjective) but it's still entertainment and their objective is to get people to watch. If they start rumors or give opinions on trade proposals it's grist for the mill. Better than nothing at all.

Last year was the 1st time since 2007 that he'd played in less than 126 games. He's not particularly injury prone. Not even close to BRob.

In 2008 he played a full season.

In 2009 he was 2 weeks shy of a full season.

In 2010 he played a full season.

In 2011 he played a full season.

In 2012 he played 1/10 of a season

I have every confidence that given a full season in LF, he could have an OBP of .335+ and hit 23 HRs.

Do you think the neck is going to keep bothering him? He says he's 100%

I think you're overstating your case. Reimold has never played 140 games in a season. Total games by season:

'05: 73

'06: 119

'07: 59

'08: 139

'09: 135

'10: 133

'11: 126

'12: 16

What you're counting as full seasons he missed around 25-35 games, or about a month. He's had two professional years where he missed most of the year, and in an average "healthy" year he misses ~30.

I think you're overstating your case. Reimold has never played 140 games in a season. Total games by season:

'05: 73

'06: 119

'07: 59

'08: 139

'09: 135

'10: 133

'11: 126

'12: 16

What you're counting as full seasons he missed around 25-35 games, or about a month. He's had two professional years where he missed most of the year, and in an average "healthy" year he misses ~30.

No, I don't think I am. You don't have to be Cal Ripken to play a full season.

Minor league teams play 20 less games. The example I used earlier was that Jon Schoop was never injured this year and he only played in 124 games.

Archived