Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So with all these options & possibly more on the way, who is the front runner for the 5th spot heading into spring training?

Considering that there is only one lefty amongst the four supposed locks for the rotation, Britton would have the minuscule edge one would think. However, it's not gonna matter who's the favorite going into camp.

Curious, is this considered another dumpster diver signing?

Look at it as a Nate McLouth-esque move that has the potential to be even more effective. Jurrjens, before the injury problem, was one of the best pitchers in baseball. Getting him at 1.5 million has the POTENTIAL to be the steal of the decade.

Look at it as a Nate McLouth-esque move that has the potential to be even more effective. Jurrjens, before the injury problem, was one of the best pitchers in baseball. Getting him at 1.5 million has the POTENTIAL to be the steal of the decade.

I really like taking a few of these low risk/high upside moves every season. It didn't work with Justin Duchscherer, but I still think that was a good philosophical risk (though the individual profile made the risk a questionable one). If Jurrjens is healthy, this could be a huge addition. Striking gold with Gonzalez was the difference on a team that just barely made it into the playoffs. I trust DD's ability to find great values that can help us win. Couldn't say that about previous "GMs".

Jurrjens is 32-19 with an ERA of 3.08 in his career in the first half and is 21-18 with an ERA of 4.29 after the All-Star break.

If JJ is going to help this team win, it will be in the first half.

Talk about taking splits and making a preposterous statement.

It would appear that Jurrjens' right knee is permanently damaged. He will probably never be the pitcher he was in 2009. The pitcher that threw 215 inning in 34 starts to a 2.60 ERA. The deterioration of the meniscus in his right knee will probably not allow that to happen. That is probably what has caused the drop in velocity. This right knee is his push off knee and it hurts when he puts pressure on it.

What gives hope is that Jurrjens performed well in 2011 for 19 starts after having knee surgery in Oct 2010. He did not do well in three of the four starts in August 2011. And he was shut down in September 2011.

He didn't do well in 2012. He only went 5 innings and gave up 3 or less runs in 4 of his 11 starts. This probably is a result of deterioration in the knee. He had another surgery on the knee in October 2012. Did it help?

Jurrjens IMO should not be looked at as a 200 inning pitcher. He may be able to pitch effectively for some starts if handled properly. He may need more rest. He may need to be shut down for periods of time after he reaches a pain level that he can't deal with. He may never be able to be the pitcher he was in 2011 again. Its unknown.

His mechanic are said to be good. I don't know if Peterson can help him. This is a question of dealing with pain IMO. He wants to be able to pitch with the pain. He knows it will hurt. Did the 2012 surgery help? We will just have to find out.

Him pitching in the WBC is not the best situation. Its doesn't allow the O's to help him manage how much he pitches. That kind of works against what the O's can do to help him until he is pitching for them. He may do better training in a pool to strengthen the leg like Hammel did. Running on land may hurt more than help.

These are JMO from reading all I can find on his condition. Jurrjens still has to pass a physical before any of this matters to the Orioles.

It would appear that Jurrjens' right knee is permanently damaged. He will probably never be the pitcher he was in 2009.

Perhaps. I'd be reluctant to draw conclusions about Jurrjens' medical condition without more authoritative information.

Him pitching in the WBC is idiotic under the curcumstances..

Fixed that for you.

Here is a BleacherReport article, and usually, I don't read BR because is all opinions, but this guy uses "heat zones" to show how differently Jurrjens attacked hitters in 2012 than he did in 2011 when he had a 2.96 ERA.

Here is is: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1501776-is-there-any-hope-for-jair-jurrjens-to-regain-all-star-form-with-the-orioles

In short, Jurrjens needs a pretty major repair job, but he's landed with the perfect organization to carry it out.

A really extraordinary statement when you think about it.

Archived