Do you think Adam Jones would willingly move from CF if we got someone better?

Frobby

Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Jones would willingly move from CF if we got a better defender?

• Yes, he's a team player and would willingly do what Buck asks
    • No, he has a big enough ego where he'd openly resent the move
    • It would depend who the other CF was

Simple question. Do you think Jones UZR numbers are an accurate reflection of his defensive ability, and do you expect Bourn's UZR numbers over the next 3-4 years to be in keeping with his last season's 22.4? I don't in both cases.

Those are good questions. I generally try not to focus one one years numbers. I would expect both to probably get worse than their 3-4 year averages. Jones based more on his trends and bulk, Bourn based on his age. Quite a bit of Jones' value is in his arm. He could get better (with more accurate throws) or at least not regress in that respect. As has been discussed many times before he could probably still improve with better positioning. In the end, Jones appears to have well below average range for a CF and I don't see that improving. I see it getting worse. I'd prefer Bourne more in a 1-2 year window than a 3-4 year window.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones, and Markakis as well, are exhibits A and B of defensive metrics standing in stark contradiction to the eye-test. That being said, I think Jones would move for someone that was a clear upgrade in every facet of the game - but Bourn is not that guy.

Jones has put in the work to be the leader of this team, I don't see him being asked to move for many people. DD and Buck both seem more than satisfied with his play in CF.

Jones, and Markakis as well, are exhibits A and B of defensive metrics standing in stark contradiction to the eye-test. That being said, I think Jones would move for someone that was a clear upgrade in every facet of the game - but Bourn is not that guy.

Jones has put in the work to be the leader of this team, I don't see him being asked to move for many people. DD and Buck both seem more than satisfied with his play in CF.

In addition to the statistics, I'd venture to say there are a lot of professional scouts who would say that Jones/Marakakis don't really pass the "eye test". I agree that this exercise is purely hypothetical. That said, there are reports that DD has at least asked Buck about Bourn.

Really not a big fan of the question posed in this thread - considering how it seems directed at Jones specifically. I understand there may be an underlying possibility that perhaps Bourn might be a possibility, but I imagine this sort of question could be asked of anybody on the team.

Again, really not a fan of isolating AJ in this manner.

I really don't understand your problem with the question. There have been dozens if not hundreds of threads in the last three years suggesting that we go get some other CF and move Jones to LF (or RF). We don't see much about players at other positions because we haven't had a lot of stability at positions other than CF, RF and C.

I really don't understand your problem with the question. There have been dozens if not hundreds of threads in the last three years suggesting that we go get some other CF and move Jones to LF (or RF). We don't see much about players at other positions because we haven't had a lot of stability at positions other than CF, RF and C.

If it helps, I'm for moving Jones to RF and Nick to first.

I don't believe in any of the defensive metrics. Not one bit. And I don't think Adam is in any way a poor centerfielder. I think the stat guys need to do some more work here before I will spend any time on it.

If it helps, I'm for moving Jones to RF and Nick to first.

This would be a good solution if they'd consider it as I've said many times I think Jones has the better arm and Nick has lost a step if not two out in RF. I also think because Nick has played 1B before and has openly volunteered to play there again it would be an easy adjustment to make. I believe he's athletic enough to make the transition.

I don't believe in any of the defensive metrics. Not one bit. And I don't think Adam is in any way a poor centerfielder. I think the stat guys need to do some more work here before I will spend any time on it.

So, by your observational analysis, you think Jones has better range than the majorty of centerfielders in Major League baseball? You could not believe that Jones makes 8-12 plays less per year than an average centerfielder?

He's not poor and you make a good point that the metrics on some level point to that. However, he clearly isn't the best at his position either as indicated by him winning a GG.

So, by your observational analysis, you think Jones has better range than the majorty of centerfielders in Major League baseball? You could not believe that Jones makes 8-12 plays less per year than an average centerfielder?

I believe that Adam is a better than average centerfielder.

I do not believe that he makes less than the average centerfielder. And I believe the metrics that show that he does are flawed. Yes. That is my considered belief.

This would be a good solution if they'd consider it as I've said many times I think Jones has the better arm and Nick has lost a step if not two out in RF. I also think because Nick has played 1B before and has openly volunteered to play there again it would be an easy adjustment to make. I believe he's athletic enough to make the transition.

Yeah supposedly Nick likes playing first base and Jones is a natural right fielder. I doubt he'd lose value moving to RF (probably would gain value imo). If we kept Mclouth/Reimold in LF and moved Davis to DH ....... that would be a great defense. Not gonna happen though.

I do not believe that he makes less than the average centerfielder. And I believe the metrics that show that he does are flawed. Yes. That is my considered belief.

Yeah we're gonna have disagree on that. Since we're asking, it's ok if I disagree right?

Yeah supposedly Nick likes playiing first base and Jones is a natural right fielder. I doubt he'd lose value moving to RF (probably would gain value imo). If we kept Mclouth/Reimold in LF and moved Davis to DH ....... that would be a great defense. Not gonna happen though.

Nope....

He's not poor and you make a good point that the metrics on some level point to that. However, he clearly isn't the best at his position either as indicated by him winning a GG.

The metrics point to him having below average range as compared to other CF's. I believe that is true. A lot of that is made up by is arm, which is superior to most (if not all) other CF's. .

Archived