Orioles Claim Todd Redmond

clapdiddy

Writing was on the wall with all their most recent acquisitions. This means we'll see Valencia or Canzler on the roster to start the season (most likely).

It's unfortunate, wish he had options left. But we basically gave the Mariners Andino, but that's because we were going to let him walk anyway with the acquisition of Casilla.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redmond has spent the last 4 years as a SP in AAA with Atlanta and Cincinnati. Just see ms odd that he would only get one quick cup of coffee in that time. Are the Braves and reds starters so good that redmond couldn't break through? Or was there is something those teams saw that made them believe he was not a MLB pitcher?

Because he was pretty mediocre in AAA in 2009 and 2010... He was good in 2011, but the Braves had better options with a better track record in front of him. He started strong in 2012 but the Braves got Janish for him, which seemed like a good deal. He had another nice half-season for the Reds and he did get that one MLB start. It's possible that the one MLB start just left a bad taste for the Reds and they cut him to make room on the 40-man. It's more likely that they didn't like what they saw overall and believe Redmond to be a AAAA guy that won't produce in the majors.

I think it is a really nice risk. He has had back-to-back nice seasons at AAA, he's a good age to arrive, he's got pretty good size, his K/9 is acceptable, and his SO/BB rate is solid. It is entirely possible that he gets some starts with the O's this year. Really nice organizational depth with some level of projectability.

I would have tried to trade Robinson or include him with other players as part of a bigger trade. I think he has good upside and maybe would even outperform Nate McLouth this season. I would rather have parted ways with Danny Valencia, especially with his name possibly being linked to PEDs.

There is nothing concrete. And he has options left.

Robinson was most likely going to be DFA during ST anyway. If he isn't claimed, he will remain in the system. If he is claimed, oh well.

I would have tried to trade Robinson or include him with other players as part of a bigger trade. I think he has good upside and maybe would even outperform Nate McLouth this season. I would rather have parted ways with Danny Valencia, especially with his name possibly being linked to PEDs.

Hard to trade a guy without options this close to Spring Training. Especially a guy like Robinson.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=24017185&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Little side arm action.

Not impressive. Pitching with men on base every inning in that video.

Looks like the guy had a serious case of the major league "yips" in his major league debut walking five in three and a third innings after posting 2.3 BB/9 during his minor league career. Looks like some starting depth so probably worth a flier, especially since he should have at least two options.

Tony - At least he has a shot as passing his physical. Seriously, this offseason has been an epic fail.

As I see this offseason come to a close, I'm actually not feeling like this has been an "epic fail" for the Orioles. I find myself really intrigued by Duquette's way of doing business: through sheer volume, get your hands on as many players as possible, always giving yourself second, third, and fourth options for any contingency, and then allow the nature of competition to separate the wheat from the chaff. It won't always work, but as a theory of building a baseball team on a budget, I like it. I like it a lot, actually. I had the same feeling last offseason, when the biggest moves were the signings of Wada and Chen and the acquisition of Hammel. Everybody was saying how bad the Orioles were going to be, but I thought then that Duquette had made the roster much stronger overall. I didn't think, of course, that they would win 93 games, but I thought they would be much better, and they were. I'm glad to see Duquette sticking with this strategy, especially when there were not any great fits for the Orioles in the free agent pool. (And please, don't give me Hamilton...a team like the Orioles should not be handing out those kinds of huge contracts to guys on the wrong side of 30.)

I'm quite happy with this offseason.

Archived