Tourney Watch

waroriole

I think that's a pretty big assumption. They might be in, but they aren't a lock. After they started the season at 14-1, they went 7-8 down the stretch in a mid-major conference, 8-8 including last nights win. Teams that nosedive like that in mid-major conferences aren't exactly endearing themselves to the selection committee. A win tonight should seal it.

So, who do you think are the last teams in?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, who do you think are the last teams in?

Oh, I really don't know the answer to that. :o I'm only going by my experience of having watched the number of Division-I schools having grown immensely over the past 25-30 years, while the number of teams added to the tournament has only grown by 4 (from 64 to 68) since 1985. While they do take everything into consideration, I've seen a lot of teams snubbed that don't have gaudy records, but do have other intangibles that they thought should have gotten them in. I think that they look at overall records and the conferences that teams play in more than anything.

That's why my definition of "lock" is probably tighter than many other fans.

The MWC is probably #5or 6, and not far behind the ACC and the Big 12.

You think Minnesota has a chance ??? They just lost a nail-biter to Illinois, and they're 20-12 overall with a huge win over Indiana two weeks ago. They really screwed themselves with losses to Nebraska and Purdue after that.

You think Minnesota has a chance ??? They just lost a nail-biter to Illinois, and they're 20-12 overall with a huge win over Indiana two weeks ago. They really screwed themselves with losses to Nebraska and Purdue after that.

Yeah, I think they're pretty comfy. Probably around a 10 seed. They played a very tough non conference, combined with Big Ten schedule. I think they have #1 SOS in nation.

The Gophers should get in despite today's game. If not, that's a big screw job on ole Tubby.

From earlier, I think UVA is pretty safe.

The Gophers should get in despite today's game. If not, that's a big screw job on ole Tubby.

From earlier, I think UVA is pretty safe.

They're difficult. They have some very quality wins. They finished 4th in the ACC, but they have some awful losses.

I think they should be in as long as they don't embarrass themselves against NCSU.

Iowa State has come on strong since getting robbed against Kansas 3 weeks ago.

They have won 3 games in a row, including one over #14 Oklahoma State and one today over 20-win Oklahoma that has vaulted them into the semifinals of the Big 12 tournament against Kansas tomorrow, while improving their overall record to 22-10.

If Michigan wins the Big 10 tournament, do you think they could supplant Indiana as a #1 seed?

I think if Duke wins the ACC tourney, they'll be the overall #1 seed. They haven't lost a game with Kelly in the lineup, and they had a very tough pre-ACC schedule.

If Michigan wins the Big 10 tournament, do you think they could supplant Indiana as a #1 seed?

I think if Duke wins the ACC tourney, they'll be the overall #1 seed. They haven't lost a game with Kelly in the lineup, and they had a very tough pre-ACC schedule.

Michigan lost to Wisconsin today. I think Indiana is firmly a #1. I think 3 #1's are a lock, and if Louisville or Georgetown win the Big East, they'll get the last one.

Duke is very likely the overall #1 if they win the ACC. They've been very good since Kelly came back.

Miami struggled again today against BC. I'd be surprised if they make the finals.

Butler beat LaSalle to advance to the semifinals of the A-10 Tournament.

They have rebounded nicely with 4 straight wins after stumbling badly when they lost 3-out-of-5 games in February and early March.

Butler had to play (and beat) Dayton yesterday, as they just missed out on getting a bye in the first round of the tournament as the # 5 seed in the conference (they finished in a 3-way tie for 3rd place with LaSalle and Temple, but they lost the tiebreakers.)

Of the 16 schools in the A-10 conference, seven of the teams have 20 or more wins.

THE BUTLER COLLEGIAN:OO http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/2012-13/releases/201303155k8386

Nobody wants to go to the tournament. LaSalle, Tennessee, and Virginia lose earlier. Kentucky is getting beat down by a bad Vanderbilt team.

Let's see what Iowa and Ole Miss do tonight.

Maryland has played their way into the discussion. If they win tomorrow, they have a very good chance.

It's been a fun day to watch some really good games. I think the top two number one seeds are going to IU and Louisville. Folks want to make Gonzaga a 1 and that last 1 could be for Duke, Miami or possibly someone else like Kansas. There are always upsets, but I hope we can see what could be some phenomenal 2-3 games. We talking some powerhouse games between probably two of Duke/Miami/Kansas plus Ohio State, one of Michigan State/Michigan, Gtown

It is nice to see Maryland on a little run, but that SoS sits around 297 per ESPN with only four or five wins against RPI Top 150 teams. Not a very impressive resume there, but they seem to have positioned themselves in or near the discussion and, frankly, they are still playing to earn the opportunity on their own. Good to see.

IU exacted some payback for the last second loss at Illinois earlier this year. Hoping IU can slay another ghost tomorrow as the team has experienced only gut-wrenching losses to Wisconsin for nearly two years. OSU and Michigan State should be a very exciting game.

People need to stop calling the Mountain West a "Mid-Major" conference and just assuming the teams aren't good. You can make a pretty decent case that the Mountain West was the third best league in the country this year behind the Big Ten and the Big East.

New Mexico could be a 2 seed and Colorado State, UNLV and San Diego State will all easily make it and be solid seeds. Boise State is right on the bubble, and should make it IMO.

I'm a UVA fan, and we have no business making it. Just so many awful losses, and no performance at all outside of Charlottesville besides the totally weird win in Madison back in November.

Ole Miss probably got in by beating Missouri tonight. I think Maryland will make it if they beat UNC tomorrow, solely by how many losses these other teams have had this week.

I'm a big proponent of Middle Tennessee State, that's a good basketball team, I hope they get a bid.

Archived