2013 Washington Nationals

OFFNY

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know for a fact there are at least some Nats fans who are old and bitter enough to have not rooted for anyone else since the Senators left.

My father isn't even 60 and is old and bitter enough to have not rooted for anyone since the Senators.

... Davey somewhat painted himself into a corner by saying "with this talent, it's World Series or bust this year".

Hasn't Davey already said he's retiring after this season? That's a ready made exit from the "corner".

I was listening to a post game interview the other day after the Cards beat the Nats and Davey sounded to me like he was getting senile. (Of course, Mike Hargrove always sounded like that!) My daughter, the nurse, worked her way through nursing college tending Alzheimer patients in a nursing home so I asked her to listen to Davey's post game interview the next game and give me her opinion. This time Davey sounded OK!

I still like the Nats' chances. Their offense without Harper and Werth looks pretty lame, but eventually those guys will come back and the offense will start to click. The starting pitching is very good, and sooner or later that will lead to a winning streak.

As to Davey, his job is safe.

I know for a fact there are at least some Nats fans who are old and bitter enough to have not rooted for anyone else since the Senators left.
Do you mean like Colts fans from 1984-1995? The Senators left town when I was ten; I switched to the Orioles. Friends of mine to this day are Texas Rangers fans because of the 1971 move.

Do you mean like Colts fans from 1984-1995? The Senators left town when I was ten; I switched to the Orioles. Friends of mine to this day are Texas Rangers fans because of the 1971 move.

Oh, yea, absolutely. I have a friend who's my age who still lists his favorite NFL team as the Baltimore Colts even though they left town when he was like 11. He refuses to root for the Ravens, or Skins. He'd rather root for Satan than the Indy Colts.

• 2 weeks later...

Mozeliak, however, brought an appreciation of statistical analysis that has helped the team in myriad ways.

Perhaps the most obvious was the willingness to part ways with Pujols as he reached free agency. For a majority of front offices, it would have been a no-brainer to re-sign a player coming off a season in which he posted a 148 adjusted OPS and had accrued 86.5 wins above replacement (Baseball-Reference) in his 11-year career. Many GMs would try their hardest to reach an agreement just from the threat of fan blowback alone, but Mozeliak and the Cardinals were content to let Pujols sign a 10-year, $240 million contract with the Angels.

Not exactly true. The Cardinals offered Pujols an insanely expensive contract. Fortunately, the Marlins and Angels were even more stupid, and saved the Cardinals from themselves.

Pujols did the Cardinals a huge favor by signing with the Angels. His contract would have crippled the team's payroll for a decade.

The Cardinals have a good formula and a strong organizational philosophy. I think they've also been the beneficiaries of some very good luck.

I also think the choice of Mike Matheny to be manager was a good one.

As much as the Nats have underperformed, they are still the 3rd place team in the Wild Card Race, meaning at the moment they only have to pass one team to get into the playoff picture. They're 5.5 behind Cincinnati right now for the second Wild Card spot, so it'll take some work but not at all unthinkable.

I predict the Nationals will have a good second half and still manage to reach the postseason. To do that, they not only have to improve their play but hope that at least 1/4 of the Braves, Cardinals, Reds, and Pirates fail to match their first half performance.

Anyone care to explain how Harper did not get an error for dropping a ball on the warning track last night.

He was there in plenty of time... was still a step from the wall and had the ball pop out of his glove.

I know now not to take an of the error stats from the Nationals seriously

• 3 weeks later...
How about that rocket foul ball going right through the net behind home plate last night? Could have killed that woman if it hit her in the face. What sort of incompetence allowed that to happen?

6e7c7dd52632461616e9a7bf5520f5d5_large

Is it wrong that I kinda wish the ball had nailed the woman yakking on her cell phone and paying absolutely zero attention to the game?

Sorry, but I think that would have been some pretty sweet justice.

Archived