Baseball America's Top 10 for O's

kmayle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hernandez ranked 15th. Another interesting question from the BA chat.

Q: Not JAYPERS from NYC asks:

David Hernandez pile up a lot of K's, doesn't give up that many hits compared to IP but still has a pretty high ERA. Is he a guy that is a couple of adjustments from really turning the corner to becoming a top prospect? Where does he fit in the top 30 and whats his ceiling?

A: Will Lingo: Hernandez comes in at No. 15, and if he can improve his command he could definitely take a big step forward. He has always generated big strikeout numbers--single season and career record holder at Consumnes River (Calif.) JC--because of a very deceptive delivery, but he does give up too many hits and home runs because he tends to leave the ball up at times. His ceiling would be middle of the rotation starter, but we'll see how he fares in Double-A before we really try to nail that down.

Did the chat have anything to say about Henson or Kolodny?

Yes they did. Here is some interesting chat from BA: Here is some for Henson.

Q: Not JAYPERS from NYC asks:

What are your thought on Henson? He had a very strong year in the Penn league and was the youngest player to make the all star team in the league. Do you see him sticking at SS and where does he fit in the top 30?

A: Will Lingo: Tyler Henson is in the 21-30 range but is a good athlete who looks like he has a chance to hit after looking overmatched in his first pro season. He made 30 errors in 67 games at shortstop last year and he's still growing, so I would expect him to end up at third base. Definitely a darkhorse guy to watch as he heads into his first full season.

And little bit more. .

Q: J.J. from Annapolis asks:

The O' made noise with Wieters and Arrieta, but what do you think of some of the quieter picks they made like Bascom, Kolodny, Binick, Mahoney, and Angle. Also who do you see as the best sleeper in their 07 draft?

A: Will Lingo: Too early to know for sure, of course, but I think it's a draft with a lot of potential. Very college heavy, which I didn't really grasp until I was putting together the prospect list. Kolodny was one of just two high school players they signed, if I remember correctly. They signed a lot of college pitchers who have a chance, including Shane Matthews and John Mariotti.

This is news to me:

Q: Joe from Easton, MD asks:

Hey Will. Happy New Year. How much concern is there right now amongst scouts that Billy Rowell's make-up is going to be a long-term issue? I've heard that his ego has made him difficult to work with and at times become an issue in the clubhouse.

A: Will Lingo: Happy New Year to everyone out there as well. And thanks to the BCS and college football's money-grubbing hypocrites for ruining what used to be one of the best days of the year. If you're going to make bowl season interminable, why not at least make the system lead to some determination about the best team in the nation? Sorry about that, but USC-Illinois and Georgia-Hawaii yesterday? Ugh.

Will Lingo: Anyhoo... Heard less concern about Rowell's makeup this year than last, so I'll take that as a good sign. The problem is that his performance dropped off significantly, in part due to his oblique strain.

When has there been any sign of Rowell's makeup being a problem? I've gotten the impression that most within the organization see his ego simply as a sign of his enthusiasm.

Love reading the rankings and future projections, but I couldn't resist whipping out my 2005 Baseball America handbook to see the opening day 2008 lineup they predicted for the Orioles then:

(warning - it ain't pretty)

C - Eli Whiteside

1b - Walter Young

2b - Brian Roberts

3b - Tripper Johnson

ss - Miguel Tejada

lf - Larry Bigbie

cf - Val Majewski

rf - Nick Markakis

dh - Melvin Mora

ace - Sidney Ponson

sp2 - Hayden Penn

sp3 - Adam Loewen

sp4 - Erik Bedard

sp5 - Daniel Cabrera

closer - B.J. Ryan

O's #1 prospect 1995-2004 by Baseball America

95 - Armando Benitez

96 - Rocky Coppinger

97 - Nerio Rodriguez

98 - Ryan Minor

99 - Matt Riley

00 - Matt Riley

01 - Keith Reed

02 - Richard Stahl

03 - Erik Bedard

04 - Adam Loewen

Love reading the rankings and future projections, but I couldn't resist whipping out my 2005 Baseball America handbook to see the opening day 2008 lineup they predicted for the Orioles then:

(warning - it ain't pretty)

C - Eli Whiteside

1b - Walter Young

2b - Brian Roberts

3b - Tripper Johnson

ss - Miguel Tejada

lf - Larry Bigbie

cf - Val Majewski

rf - Nick Markakis

dh - Melvin Mora

ace - Sidney Ponson

sp2 - Hayden Penn

sp3 - Adam Loewen

sp4 - Erik Bedard

sp5 - Daniel Cabrera

closer - B.J. Ryan

O's #1 prospect 1995-2004 by Baseball America

95 - Armando Benitez

96 - Rocky Coppinger

97 - Nerio Rodriguez

98 - Ryan Minor

99 - Matt Riley

00 - Matt Riley

01 - Keith Reed

02 - Richard Stahl

03 - Erik Bedard

04 - Adam Loewen

Wow! Our system has been so bad for so long! It is good to see it getting better. We have to continue to go over slot though or we'll not make up much ground.

The information that BA has put out in the last few days as to make O's fans feel pretty good about the Tejada trade.

Scott - Major league OF

Patton - #3 prospect with #3 starter potential

Albers - better than Patton though no longer a prospect.

Costanzo - Just missed the top 10 prospect list.

That is pretty good report.

O's farm system middle of the pack, but lack impact players other then Wieters.

The information that BA has pull out in the last few days as to make O's fans feel pretty good about the Tejada trade.

I especially liked the comments about why Patton was better than Olson. Olson in my opinion is going to be pretty good eventually, and if Patton is better, and Albers is better than that, this trade could be a steal.

This is news to me:

When has there been any sign of Rowell's makeup being a problem? I've gotten the impression that most within the organization see his ego simply as a sign of his enthusiasm.

I've heard he has some maturing to do but that his attitude in the instructional leagues was very good. He's always worked hard on his hitting, but now he knows he has to work hard at third base if he wants to stay there.

Let's remember, he's a young guy with a lot of talent. Perhaps last year's struggles at times has made him open up to more coaching.

Interesting how low Dixon and Henson were slotted compared to the Hangout.

Who is Dixon?

As for Henson, I always like to make a splash with my number ten pick. Although from most reports I think Henson will eventually move over to third or to the outfield, I think the power he put up as a 19-year old in the NY-Penn League while playing half his games at cavernous Ripken park was pretty impressive.

We'll see though, but with Patton coming into the organization he moves out of the top-ten now.

As for Henson, I always like to make a splash with my number ten pick. Although from most reports I think Henson will eventually move over to third or to the outfield, I think the power he put up as a 19-year old in the NY-Penn League while playing half his games at cavernous Ripken park was pretty impressive.

We'll see though, but with Patton coming into the organization he moves out of the top-ten now.

Uh, he wasn't in the top 10 to begin with. Britton was 10th, Henson was 11th.

Hopefully that will change next year. ;)

Archived