Dr. James Andrews today. Andrews recommended and administered a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection

BaltimoreO's

PRP is used for strains, tendonitis, inflammation which can come from the normal, violent movements involved in pitching, or tennis, or golf, etc. It uses part of the body's own natural inflammation fighters, platelets, which are taken from the patient's own blood, spun down, and then injected in a concentrated and localized area where the tenderness is located. That and COMPLETE rest should fix the problem.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rest almost never fixes these things completely.

I'm really really worried.

I'm not necessarily worried that he won't be able to throw pain free in 6 weeks. I'm just worried that this will be an ongoing issue the majority of his career (which may be much shorter than we all thought 2 months ago).

I'm not necessarily worried that he won't be able to throw pain free in 6 weeks. I'm just worried that this will be an ongoing issue the majority of his career (which may be much shorter than we all thought 2 months ago).

Hard to know how worried to be without much more specific medical information. Tendonitis CAN very often be resolved by enforced rest and conservative therapy measures. If it is recurrent, there are more invasive remedies depending on the type and location of the problem. Hopefully Dylan will do well with the conservative recovery approach.

PRP is used for strains, tendonitis, inflammation which can come from the normal, violent movements involved in pitching, or tennis, or golf, etc. It uses part of the body's own natural inflammation fighters, platelets, which are taken from the patient's own blood, spun down, and then injected in a concentrated and localized area where the tenderness is located. That and COMPLETE rest should fix the problem.

Probably rest is what makes it better. Prp probably just gets the doc some cash.

This is a disturbing post

The guy starting the game for the O's tonight?

Not saying he is dominating but PRP got him back out on the mound.

Looking at one site that provides treatment, it's a mish mash of some big names.

http://www.arcmotionrehab.com/1/post/2012/05/what-professional-athletes-have-had-platelet-rich-plasma-prp-therapy.html#sthash.j6DFv1UN.dpbs

Basketball players:

Brandon Roy

Kobe Bryant

Josh Howard

Mickael Pietrus

Wesley Matthews

Rashard Lewis

Derrick Rose

Greg Oden

That is a terrifying list of NBA players that have had tons of injury problems they could never quite recover from.

Baseball players:

Hines Ward

Troy Polamalu

LaRon Landry

Chris Cooley

Andre Johnson

Joseph Addai

Peyton Hillis

Mario Williams

Matt Forte

Football players:

Takashi Saito

Alex Rodriguez

Cliff Lee

Jose Reyes

Huston Street

John Patterson

Rafael Furcal

Bartolo Colon

Pedro Feliciano

Brett Anderson

Nelson Cruz

Michael Young

George Sherrill

Mark Lowe

Conor Mullee

Ryan Howard

Ian Kinsler

Jesse Litsch

Matt Kemp

Kyle McClellan

Seems baseball has many more successful treatment cases than the other sports (that site is a bit sketchy with having the football & baseball players switched).

Well it can't hurt. There is some science behind it.

Agreed, and it is a treatment that has virtually no risk involved as it uses the patient's own immunologic components (which is how the body heals most of its own injuries, using these same types of internal processes.) There are limited, large double blind studies, but PRP has had a lot of usage for tendon inflammation in sports medicine/orthopedics over the last 10 years.

Archived