It's Official, We are Contenders and Probably Favorites

brianod

O's are about middle of the league when it comes to strength of schedule so far. A pretty balanced schedule actually (not to mention all the road games).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos

Sidenote: After pitching his first complete game shutout this week, Jeremy Guthrie is 9-0 & hasn't lost in his last 17 starts (8 no decisions) since last August. Glad he's found success again but it'll be bittersweet seeing him pitch against the O's on Thursday.

Which is an all-time Royals franchise record (1969 - Present.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/131440-Jeremy-Guthrie-2013/page2

He just broke his tie with Paul Splittorff in grand fashion, with a Complete-Game Shutout.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, Baseball Prospectus is still dissing us, projecting the Orioles to finish 4th in the AL East at 81-81, behind Tampa and with only a 23% chance to make the playoffs. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

According to BB-ref, our strength of schedule has been slightly above average, and yet tied with Boston for the easiest schedule played in the AL East so far. http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standings.shtml I'm not sure how meaningful those stats are at this time of year, however.

Other than the Blue Jays I think everyone has a chance. The Yankees have been staying in the hunt with all their batters out by having outstanding starting pitching. When their big guns come back they should be a formidable force. The Red Sox pitchers have been amazing. The Rays have Longoria back healthy if they can get their pitching in order they should be solid. We have a good team. Hopefully, our fifth pitcher can straighen out and other starters can have solid years and if so we should be in the thick of things.

FYI, Baseball Prospectus is still dissing us, projecting the Orioles to finish 4th in the AL East at 81-81, behind Tampa and with only a 23% chance to make the playoffs. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

According to BB-ref, our strength of schedule has been slightly above average, and yet tied with Boston for the easiest schedule played in the AL East so far. http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-standings.shtml I'm not sure how meaningful those stats are at this time of year, however.

This is a good point. Even if the Angels are scuffling, would you rather be playing them or the Royals? I'd still rather play the Royals. I guess we'll find out if thats the case this week.

This is a good point. Even if the Angels are scuffling, would you rather be playing them or the Royals? I'd still rather play the Royals. I guess we'll find out if thats the case this week.

Well, I do think the Royals may be better this year than they typically are. Their rotation is pretty decent for once. Who knows, maybe they are this year's Orioles. But there is no way the Angels are as bad as they looked this weekend. Sooner or later they will get their act together -- hopefully by the time our AL East rivals make their West Coast road trips:

Yankees: June 14-16

Red Sox: July 5-7

Rays: Sept. 2-5

Jays: Aug. 1-4

Other than the Blue Jays I think everyone has a chance.

While it's tempting to write off the Blue Jays, and I am enjoying their struggles immensely, let's remember that Oakland was 9 games under .500 as late as June 10 last year and still came back to make the playoffs. There's plenty of time for the Jays to turn it around.

Well, I do think the Royals may be better this year than they typically are. Their rotation is pretty decent for once. Who knows, maybe they are this year's Orioles. But there is no way the Angels are as bad as they looked this weekend. Sooner or later they will get their act together -- hopefully by the time our AL East rivals make their West Coast road trips

The Angels have been terrible from the get go and there is no quick fix. They started the season 2-8 and finished April 6-10. Now into May and after yesterday's loss they are 11-20. They have injuries, horrible starting pitching and Hamilton has pulled a disappearing act. Though it's hard to fault Scioscia, his 10 year contract extension, signed in 2009, runs thru 2018 (although he could opt out after 2015). I suppose they could buy him out for the $10M+ he has coming to him. But that would only be a shake-up, not a fix.

Starters ERA:

Boston: 5th 3.39

NY: 10th 3.70

Tampa Bay: 16th 4.20

Orioles 19th 4.48

Toronto: 28th 5.39

While I would like the starting pitching to lower that ERA, I'm more concerned with the length of the average start. If they get league average starting pitching for 6-7 innings rather than 5-6 innings, that would go a long way toward maximizing the benefit from the bullpen.

The Angels have been terrible from the get go and there is no quick fix. They started the season 2-8 and finished April 6-10. Now into May and after yesterday's loss they are 11-20. They have injuries, horrible starting pitching and Hamilton has pulled a disappearing act. Though it's hard to fault Scioscia, his 10 year contract extension, signed in 2009, runs thru 2018 (although he could opt out after 2015). I suppose they could buy him out for the $10M+ he has coming to him. But that would only be a shake-up, not a fix.

Well obviously just getting Weaver back will help a good bit, particularly considering how bad their SP is.

They started poorly last year as well (8-15 in April) but almost came all the way back to make the playoffs. Too much talent on that team to be this bad all year, which will hopefully bode well for us.

You can say what you want, its your post, and you can call me or others"haters" or "negative Nellys", but unless this team gets some consistent

pitching with some shutdown performances they are not going to be a contender over the long haul. The Yankees, the Sox, and the Rays all have

better pitching than the Orioles right now. It could change. We might see Hammel pitch a lot better(I was very underwhelmed today), or Chen may

not have his lousy outings and we may find a true #5, and we might see Gausman or Arietta or Britton pitch dominantly, but for right now,

this is a fairly mediocre rotation.I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Chen, Hammel, Gonzo, and Tillman, combine for a 3.98 ERA so far. I wouldn't call that mediocre. The #5 SP on the other hand have combined for an 8.04 ERA. That's the problem with our SP.

Chen, Hammel, Gonzo, and Tillman, combine for a 3.98 ERA so far. I wouldn't call that mediocre. The #5 SP on the other hand have combined for an 8.04 ERA. That's the problem with our SP.

thats why I gave the rotation a B grade....bunch of 3rd starters, but some could improve on that...most notably Hamm and Tillman. Chen and Gonzo are legit 3rd starters. Once they get the 5th starter that sticks things should be fine. Hoping Steve Johnson gets that chance.

I still think with one swinging got bat, it will take the offense to another level. I will take the Oriole offense over everybody in the division outside of Toronto's with Reyes. 2nd base has to be fixed and hopefully Betemit returns soon.

Speculation on MLBXM yesterday that CHI may want to move Konerko at the deadline. FA next year. Might be something we could be interested in at DH/1B, depending on Betemit/Reimold. Also Morneau.

I am pretty sure, the Orioles will add to the offense not the pitching from the outside, mainly due to the lack of offense in the postseason last year. McClouth and Flaherty were the best hitters last postseason. Outside quality pitching help costs way to much and the Orioles have options at the 5th starter Britton, Johnson, Garcia, Gausman and Jurgenns.

I am pretty sure, the Orioles will add to the offense not the pitching from the outside, mainly due to the lack of offense in the postseason last year. McClouth and Flaherty were the best hitters last postseason. Outside quality pitching help costs way to much and the Orioles have options at the 5th starter Britton, Johnson, Garcia, Gausman and Jurgenns.

They won't make it to the postseason if they can't find some starting pitching help sooner rather than later, whether it's inside or out of the organization.

They won't make it to the postseason if they can't find some starting pitching help sooner rather than later, whether it's inside or out of the organization.

The Starting pitching is pretty solid, IMO. I have confidence in Hamm, Chen, Tillman and Gonzo..They only need a 5th and have about 5 internal options. Plus, if they score more runs and strike out less like they are on pace to compared to last season and steal bases they dont need as many "aces". Also remember how many games the defense lost last year early in the season? This year they have probably the best defense in all baseball, and last year they didnt have a SB threat, now they can steal bases also. It is a more rounded team than people think. NO team has a lockdown 5th starter. If they add another quality bat it takes pressure off the pitching staff. Also teams are running wild on Catchers this year....on Boston, NY and others. Weiters basically shuts down the run game. Walks and singles arent doubles vs the Orioles but the Orioles run alot more this season. More RISP chances, with more contact hitters will make for more runs.

Archived