Christian Walker and Henry Urrutia upside

cnmilton

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring him up. Machado never hit anything like that at AA and we brought him up. Obviously he belongs in the Bigs and the rust is off. What are they waiting for? Steve Pearce meet the wavier wire. What you know each other well?

I'm curious as to what criteria - if any - they've set for Urrutia to get his shot in the majors. Is it gut feeling, a certain number of plate appearances, a stat reached or combo of stats, a failure or injury by someone on the ML roster, or a combo of those and other factors?

The numbers he's put up with no spring training and being new to the country are impressive - and he more than passes the eye test, imo.

I'm curious as to what criteria - if any - they've set for Urrutia to get his shot in the majors. Is it gut feeling, a certain number of plate appearances, a stat reached or combo of stats, a failure or injury by someone on the ML roster, or a combo of those and other factors?

The numbers he's put up with no spring training and being new to the country are impressive - and he more than passes the eye test, imo.

Yeah he is hitting .372.. What more do they want? If he starts hitting over .400 will they bring him up? He is doing a lot better than Machado was doing when he came up. I get they want him to work on his fielding but he could DH.

Bring him up. Machado never hit anything like that at AA and we brought him up. Obviously he belongs in the Bigs and the rust is off. What are they waiting for? Steve Pearce meet the wavier wire. What you know each other well?

It's not obvious that he should be in the majors. Manny was 7 years younger than Urrutia is now. If you sent Reimold or Pearce to Bowie I'd expect both of them would post 1.000 OPSes. Do you remember Lou Montanez? The same guy who has a .586 MLB OPS also hit .335 with a .986 OPS at Bowie at the age of 26.

What's obvious is that the guys who scout Urrutia think he still has some things to work on and that he's not quite to the point where you're releasing guys on the MLB roster to make space for him. Good organizations don't make lasting decisions based on 100 PAs, especially not on 100 AA PAs from a 26-year-old.

I think the answer is somewhere between the 2 previous posts - one overly aggressive and one overly conservative. He's got more of a track record than his time in Bowie.

Yes, in a league that's the rough equivalent of a US indy league. The translation work I've seen on Cuba pegs it in the Sally/Midwest league in overall quality, just with a wider spread in talent - some MLB players sprinkled in among a lot of guys who wouldn't even be in affiliated ball here.

Archived