Christian Walker and Henry Urrutia upside

cnmilton

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tiny sample size, but in 19ABs vs. LHP, Christian Walker only has 3 singles and a .431OPS as opposed to 93ABs vs RHP and a 1.026 OPS. (He is a right-handed batter, just in case anyone was going to look it up). Again, miniscule sample, but throwing it out there.

Our bench is Pearce, Flaherty/Casilla, Dickerson, Snyder

If Roberts returns, Flaherty gets sent down, so Urrutia would have to replace Dickerson. If Roberts doesn't return, Urrutia could replace Flaherty. Nothing happens unless Urrutia truly impresses, of course.

...and if that's the case, more doors do open in terms of depth and trades. The O's could attempt to re-sign McClouth and then use Urrutia as a solid piece in a trade if that's what we choose to do. Or they could use McClouth as a trade piece if they're comfortable replacing him.

Options are good, and Urrutia in particular might be good enough to give DD some good options come July.

Roberts is months away from returning.

What is Urritia's fielding like? Is Urritia a reasonable replacement for Markakis when his contract is over? I like Markakis a lot, but he's barely above average offensively (for RF) and about average fielder (some will say below average). I can't see spending $12-15 mill/yr to keep him.

Hey, it's just nice to have a legit outfield prospect in the system, period. I don't count Hoes and Avery. We have to go back to Markakis and maybe Reimold if you want to stretch. That's gotta be like 8 years ago. Yikes. Thank heavens for the Bedard trade. We literally had a vacuum in our system in terms of OF prospects.

Hey, it's just nice to have a legit outfield prospect in the system, period. I don't count Hoes and Avery. We have to go back to Markakis and maybe Reimold if you want to stretch. That's gotta be like 8 years ago. Yikes. Thank heavens for the Bedard trade. We literally had a vacuum in our system in terms of OF prospects.

Hoes has got a .391 OBP in Norfolk through 128 PA's. So I think he still has potential to be a regular. Maybe not in Baltimore. But Avery is not doing as well in Bowie.

Both profile as potential average regulars in my opinion. Walker is more of a long shot, as he'll probably never develop the kind of pop necessary to justify starting at 1B, and his defense is not better than average either. Urrutia should at least stick around for a while as a 4th OF/LH bench bat.

Urrutia 3 for 3 with a double and a walk tonight. BA .349, OPS 1.001.

Still a SSS, I know, but so far his numbers in Bowie are looking like his numbers in Cuba. I know that DD and Buck don't necessarily believe that a player HAS to have time at AAA before getting called up and maybe in Urritia's case even more so do to his international playing experience.

Still though, at what point, if at all. will they ship him up to Norfolk. I realize that the difference between AAA and AA is not really much, if any at all, but still just wondering what the thinking is there. I don't believe Melewski's recent blog touched on when/if he might see Norfolk, just mostly what he needs to do to shake off all the rust.

Archived