Would you put Machado in the category of Harper/Trout?

ChaosLex

Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Does Machado belong in the same category as Harper or Trout?

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 5m

Is it necessary? I love Machado but anointing any player on the basis of a good month is silly. RT @rfarren: @keithlaw Can you elaborate?

He has a fair point. This isn't about upside. Harper and Trout have a full season under their belts, Machado doesn't. If Manny keeps this up all season and gets reasonable MVP votes, then we can ask KLaw again.

I tweeted him back saying that they anointed Harper before he was drafted. Oddly enough he never seems to pick my tweets to respond to.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Freakin' Keith Law just tweeted his opinion:

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1m

No. RT @andy4jones: @keithlaw Machado 3-4 tonight, .325 avg. fair to put him in trout/ Harper category?

But then later when Law was asked if Manny was a guy or a Guy or a GUY, he replied that Manny was definitely a GUY. So he's got that going for him.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 5m

Is it necessary? I love Machado but anointing any player on the basis of a good month is silly. RT @rfarren: @keithlaw Can you elaborate?

Harper and Trout have a full season under their belts, Machado doesn't. If Manny keeps this up all season and gets reasonable MVP votes, then we can ask KLaw again.

They do now, but last year it was only after a month or so into their first seasons that baseball was covering them non-stop. Remember when the O's went to Washington and a reporter asked Jones "how does it feel to play against young stars like Harper?" and he got pissed.

What about Trout's clearly far superior baserunning?

Considering Machado has been one of the most valuable players in baseball with his glove, I'd say his defense far trumps Trout's basestealing ability. Machado's incredible defense is what makes him, or could make him, more valuable than Trout or Harper.

I consider Trout one of the best overall hitters in baseball when taking into account that speed. Love both him and Harper. But Manny's start is pretty damn impressive and his defensive ability is something that Trout and Harper don't possess.

Considering Machado has been one of the most valuable players in baseball with his glove, I'd say his defense far trumps Trout's basestealing ability. Machado's incredible defense is what makes him, or could make him, more valuable than Trout or Harper.

I consider Trout one of the best overall hitters in baseball when taking into account that speed. Love both him and Harper. But Manny's start is pretty damn impressive and his defensive ability is something that Trout and Harper don't possess.

Fangraphs had Trout at 13.3 fielding runs above average last season and he is at 2.7 so far this season. Trout is an elite defender. Jones winning the GG over Trout last year was as ridiculous as any of the GGs Jeter has won.

Fangraphs had Trout at 13.3 fielding runs above average last season and he is at 2.7 so far this season. Trout is an elite defender. Jones winning the GG over Trout last year was as ridiculous as any of the GGs Jeter has won.

I'm glad someone has said it. I thought this comparison as soon as they announced it but I wonder how many Oriole fans scoff at the notion.

Jones's GG was just as UNdeserving as Jeter's over Hardy (or Ryan) in 2011.

I assume he wasn't speaking of strictly base stealing ability but of his brr saber stats. Trout ranked 3rd last year in all of baseball. As far as stolen bases Manny is 3/4 and Trout is 5/7.

I assume he wasn't speaking of strictly base stealing ability but of his brr saber stats. Trout ranked 3rd last year in all of baseball. As far as stolen bases Manny is 3/4 and Trout is 5/7.

Manny has done well in stolen bases but thus far has been clearly below average in other aspects of baserunning this year.

Archived