Get Strop off of this roster

Why_Knott?

All come on. I can't hang the total problem in May on the pen. Johnson sure. He dropped a couple of games the O's should have won. Nothing to do about that. He is going nowhere. But the starters were the problem for the most part. Chen and Gonzo out. No one to real filling the fifth spot until Gausman. Hammel not pitching like he did the 1st half of last year. Tillman is really the only starter that did that well so far in May.

This is interesting.

Batters are hitting .152 off Strop in May.

His WHIP is 1.34 in May.

Do you really release a guy like that?

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c_id=bal#playerType=ALL&elem=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitching&game_type='R'&season=2013&season_type=ANY&league_code='MLB'&sectionType=sp&statType=pitching&page=1&ts=1369413613921&timeframe=&last_x_days=&split=5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't release him, because I think other teams value him and will give us something in trade. But, you just can't ever trust the guy. You never know if his control will be there or not. That is something you just can't have in a bullpen, not on a team trying to contend anyway.

Well he has to be down for 10 days unless he replaces an injured player, but yes eventually that's an option.

Hunter too. Arrieta could take over Hunters role. These two are definitely on the short list, either way.

I have watched various interviews with Rick Adair our pitching coach since 2012 and one example I'll share he was showing Gary Thorne how they watch and review video and what goes on with the training, analysis, techniques and practice that the Pitching Coaching staff uses for their Pitchers. What I was amazed at was when asked by GT how this guy will improve or how this guy will do better he always says well "I hope so" or "he thinks" so and so will do this now. At that particular time he was talking mostly about the 2 different pitchers "mechanics".

Now I ask does this sound to you like a confident coach to you? I feel that confidence is boosted, encouraged and exchanged between coach and player. Buck does a good job as Manager in my opinion. But if the coach is not confident about his players mechanics or explains that hes not sure if his guys know how and when to precisely throw a certain pitch in any given situation then hes not doing his job of either communicating, directing or getting his points across. I know the players is also responsible but......

A excellent coach clearly demonstrates the ability through effective communication to his players what is required from them to improve or fix their problems and carry out his implemented plan. I've seen where JJ does not throw but just one pitch lately? He has a awesome off speed breaking ball (12 to 6) as does Pedro but neither has used it when clearly they aren't getting the fast ball across for strikes. That's the basic of basic fundamental approach to Pitching. When one pitch is not working go to something else.

Yes I do believe Weiters needs to become a more assertive Team leader and get to the mound when everyone in the stadium see's our pitcher falling off the mound time and time again thus showing some major mechanical problems out there. Hey how boat Adair signaling Weiters to go to the mound and talk it out! I mean do we need to get the announcer to do it on the Pa? Maybe us fans could start a chant "Go to the Mound" Go to the Mound".....Comon Man :deadhorse::deadhorse: LOL

But seriously I'm just really looking for ideas and or solutions?

Close games/get outs. What is your point?

Saves are probably one of the worse predictors of future performance (next to pitchers wins).

Saying Jim Johnson is going to be fine because he he is getting is plenty of saves is like saying JJ Hardy is going to be fine because he is still getting plenty RBI's.

I mean he had a string of scoreless outings. But his WHIP is only low because he doesn't allow many hits. He just walks dudes. And when they do hit him, it hurts him because he put guys on base via the walk.

1.34 WHIP isn't low and as a general rule walks are preferable to hits.

The problem isn't only the increased walks (while his H/9 stayed around his career norms) it's the fact that alot of his hits have been of the hard contact variety (especially when facing LHB).

There's also a certain amount of bad luck involved as evidenced by his 4.56 xFIP and 27.3% HR/FB.

Saves are probably one of the worse predictors of future performance (next to pitchers wins).

Saying Jim Johnson is going to be fine because he he is getting is plenty of saves is like saying JJ Hardy is going to be fine because he is still getting plenty RBI's.

Yes, you are right. And I am great is a SS that is a GGer and drives in runs. Just like I am happy with a closer that is near the top of the league in saves that really means the team won the game that he finished.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people get too far into the stats to realize that winning is the most important stat.

There were probably years where Steve Dalkowski had a .100 average against and a 8.00 ERA because he walked 15.0 per nine. It is possible to be nearly unhittable and horrible at the same time.

There were probably years where Steve Dalkowski had a .100 average against and a 8.00 ERA because he walked 15.0 per nine. It is possible to be nearly unhittable and horrible at the same time.

The only thing that really matters is could he hit the Bull.

Archived