What kind of punishment are you expecting for Hammel?

ChaosLex

I'm glad someone has the capacity to remove their orange-tinted glasses and look at the situation objectively. Hammel absolutely should have been tossed, and he was very likely throwing at him in a moment of frustration. Maybe the O's had some inside info that Tigers were stealing signs...who knows. The blind homer-ism in this thread would be astonishing if it wasn't par for the course around here. 6-game suspension is warranted. I think the 5% chance that he wasn't throwing at him is about accurate. It's not a court of law, and there needs to be a deterrent to intentionally throwing at hitters. Even if it was completely unintentional, the correct outcome in this situation is a suspension.

If it was a "Moment of frustration" why didn't he throw a fastball?

"Ohh I am so angry. I am going to hit this fellow with a pitch that isn't going to hurt nearly as much as another pitch I could throw."

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, this is pretty much what it comes down to. Anytime a guy throws at a guys head in retaliation, you get suspended. Does it matter if it was intentional or not? Not really, since it wouldn't deter other pitchers from doing the same thing in the future if all they have to do is deny they were throwing at a guy and they'll get off scott free. You need to send a message and have the same punishment for anyone who does this.

If it wasn't intentional then he wasn't throwing at a guy's head. What is so difficult about that for you to understand?

If it wasn't intentional then he wasn't throwing at a guy's head. What is so difficult about that for you to understand?

My point is that it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. You have to punish the guy since anyone who throws at someones head in that situation would be suspended. Its pretty black and white.

I think you're being confused by my opinion and what he was ejected for. He was ejected for throwing at a batters head in retaliation, so thats how MLB will view this case.

My point is that it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. You have to punish the guy since anyone who throws at someones head in that situation would be suspended. Its pretty black and white.

You still don't get it do you? If it is not intentional then he wasn't throwing at his head.

Now if you had an adequate grasp of the English language and used a sentence such as:

"Due to the game situation and the location of the pitch, intent is irrelevant and Hammel has to be suspended."

Then I wouldn't be finding fault with your logic. You however and not expressing logical thinking and instead continue to combine contradictory terms.

I think you're being confused by my opinion and what he was ejected for. He was ejected for throwing at a batters head in retaliation, so thats how MLB will view this case.

I've noticed in the past you like to nitpick peoples posts a lot instead of actually debating them, so whatever.

The question that seems to be missing here is, was he just trying to push him off the plate with an inside pitch? I'd say yes. Was he trying to hit him? Probably not, but with his control yesterday anything could happen and did. End of story.

It was a slider and Wieters wasn't set up anywhere near up and in. Neither of those would have been the case if he had been trying to "dust off" the batter.

I'm glad someone has the capacity to remove their orange-tinted glasses and look at the situation objectively. Hammel absolutely should have been tossed, and he was very likely throwing at him in a moment of frustration. Maybe the O's had some inside info that Tigers were stealing signs...who knows. The blind homer-ism in this thread would be astonishing if it wasn't par for the course around here. 6-game suspension is warranted. I think the 5% chance that he wasn't throwing at him is about accurate. It's not a court of law, and there needs to be a deterrent to intentionally throwing at hitters. Even if it was completely unintentional, the correct outcome in this situation is a suspension.
I don't see the value of removing the orange colored glasses if you are going to replace them with these:

31-zN%2B-N1xL._SX342_.jpg

Pure conjecture and projection based on no solid evidence

The facts are these:

1)Buck's teams don't throw at people on purpose

2)Hammel doesn't have a history of throwing at people

3)Hammel has had command issues all season and was so particularly yesterday

4)Hammel has lost control of that SL a number of times this season, usually when he's trying to throw a back door SL to a LH batter. He did so a couple of other times yesterday, just not to a RH batter.

5)If you want to hit some one you don't throw a SL.

6)Leyland didn't think it was intentional.

7)The ump has a history of frequent knee jerk ejections

So look at these facts objectively and conclude he was intentionally throwing at the guy because he was frustrated and the Tigers were stealing the signs. Yeah right. :rolleyestf:

I've noticed in the past you like to nitpick peoples posts a lot instead of actually debating them, so whatever.

Well let's read a quote from the ump.

Crew chief Jerry Layne said, "In this particular situation, everything's kind of played into what this looks like. They claim there was no intent. Three home runs and a guy gets hit, you're an umpire, what do you do?"

Hmm the Ump didn't say the location had anything to do with the ejection. The fact that he hit him was enough.

So I guess he wasn't ejected for throwing at a batter's head.

I guess I am not confused.

Do you think that if Hammel had buried a 95 MPH fastball into his ribs he wouldn't have been ejected?

You still don't get it do you? If it is not intentional then he wasn't throwing at his head.

Now if you had an adequate grasp of the English language and used a sentence such as:

"Due to the game situation and the location of the pitch, intent is irrelevant and Hammel has to be suspended."

Then I wouldn't be finding fault with your logic. You however and not expressing logical thinking and instead continue to combine contradictory terms.

Exactly. I understand why the ump threw him out, but that doesn't make him less wrong, and it certainly doesn't change that fact that he clearly wasn't throwing at him intentionally.

Did you want Sabathia tossed and suspended after he intentionally ended Markakis' season last year?

Talk about tinted glasses. Maybe some people don't have enough orange in theirs...

The question that seems to be missing here is, was he just trying to push him off the plate with an inside pitch? I'd say yes. Was he trying to hit him? Probably not, but with his control yesterday anything could happen and did. End of story.
He was throwing a SL. Wieters was set up low and away. That is what he was trying to do. He lost control of the pitch just as he has done with that same pitch many times this season.

Did you want Sabathia tossed and suspended after he intentionally ended Markakis' season last year?

Talk about tinted glasses. Maybe some people don't have enough orange in theirs...

You see, thats exactly what we're talking about. If it was an Orioles pitcher who hit a Yankee guy on the hand, everyone would obviously be calling it an accident. But because its a pitcher from our rival, its obviously intentional and he should be ejected and suspended. You can't have it both ways... Its about as homer as it gets to think that somehow the players on the Orioles are better human beings than other teams players, and would never get frustrated and try to hurt someone. They're humans just like anyone else, and these things can happen.

You see, thats exactly what we're talking about. If it was an Orioles pitcher who hit a Yankee guy on the hand, everyone would obviously be calling it an accident. But because its a pitcher from our rival, its obviously intentional and he should be ejected and suspended. You can't have it both ways... Its about as homer as it gets to think that somehow the players on the Orioles are better human beings than other teams players, and would never get frustrated and try to hurt someone. They're humans just like anyone else, and these things can happen.

If he was trying to hurt someone WHY THROW A SLIDER?

For the record, while many of us were upset about what happened last season, not that many thought that CC intentionally hit Markakis. Pull up the game thread if you want.

I'm pretty sure we had a thread about this at some point in the offseason and plenty of people said it clearly wasn't intentional.

Archived