What kind of punishment are you expecting for Hammel?

ChaosLex

I think people here would be irate if those shoes were on other feet and the opposing pitcher was not ejected.

I would be pretty happy they knocked Verlander out of the game that early and then won by 7.

I only get annoyed by HBP when the hitter is injured or doesn't make an effort to get out of the way of the ball.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be pretty happy they knocked Verlander out of the game that early and then won by 7.

I only get annoyed by HBP when the hitter is injured or doesn't make an effort to get out of the way of the ball.

I said "the opposing pitcher was not ejected."

I mean I don't think it was intentional but if you're the HP umpire, you have to treat it as such.

If the Orioles hit three consecutive HR's and a pitcher threw a pitch, such as Hammel's, people here would demand a suspension of some sort. They wouldn't use the excuse, "he had no control" (he had control enough to groove pitches), "back door slider" (really?). It was a "message" pitch. I would expect him to throw one. Did he mean for it to hit him? Who knows? But it did. Should he have been thrown out of the game, maybe not. You wait for Verlander to retaliate?? It's part of the game. Sometimes the bias displayed here is just ridiculous.

I said "the opposing pitcher was not ejected."

I mean I don't think it was intentional but if you're the HP umpire, you have to treat it as such.

You think Hammel was staying in the game much longer anyway?

If the other team wants to hit the O's on the shoulder with sliders I will take the free baserunners all day.

Then I would have been cackling, that's right cackling, when Davis hit the Grand Slam.

If the Orioles hit three consecutive HR's and a pitcher threw a pitch, such as Hammel's, people here would demand a suspension of some sort. They wouldn't use the excuse, "he had no control" (he had control enough to groove pitches), "back door slider" (really?). It was a "message" pitch. I would expect him to throw one. Did he mean for it to hit him? Who knows? But it did. Should he have been thrown out of the game, maybe not. You wait for Verlander to retaliate?? It's part of the game. Sometimes the bias displayed here is just ridiculous.

Some people here would.

Some people here think pitcher wins are important.

Tuiasosopop suggests he thinks it was intentional.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/06/matt_tuiasosopo_on_jason_hamme.html

"All I know is we hit three homers off of him and the first pitch was at my head," Tuiasosopo said. "It doesn't look good."

"I didn't like it," he said. "I wanted to go up there and try and hit the fourth one. They said it was not on purpose and that it was a breaking ball, but the pitch was at my head. I watched it on film. The pitch really didn't do anything and it was just up at my head. Anytime you're head-hunting it doesn't look good, especially after giving up three home runs in a row."

If the other team wants to hit the O's on the shoulder with sliders I will take the free baserunners all day.

Then I would have been cackling, that's right cackling, when Davis hit the Grand Slam.

What???

Are you crazy? Are you not offended at your batters being hit on the shoulder, given a free base while possibly being targeted?

Retaliation, I say!!! OBP be damned! Ejections all around, players, managers they all must go until we get to the bottom of this!

There is a code, sir.

I think people here would be irate if those shoes were on other feet and the opposing pitcher was not ejected.

You mean like when Sabathia hit Markakis and ended his season? And then everyone said "oh it wasn't on purpose, CC is such a nice guy he'd never do that"? How many games did he get suspended for? Was he ejected?

Hammel will get suspended enough to miss a start. The MLB like to send messages to teams that aren't supposed to win.

That said, I understand why he was ejected (though I disagree with it).

Does it matter?

The both of us would be crying into our drinks if he got hit on the hand, wrist, or face and broke something important.

You mean like when Sabathia hit Markakis and ended his season? And then everyone said "oh it wasn't on purpose, CC is such a nice guy he'd never do that"? How many games did he get suspended for? Was he ejected?

That HBP did not come after 3 straight home runs.

Hammel will get suspended enough to miss a start. The MLB like to send messages to teams that aren't supposed to win.

Eh. I dunno about that.

I listened to the Tiger announcers on the MLB.com replay. They were certain right away that Hammel did it on purpose. On the replay when they saw it was a breaking pitch, they remained outraged and really rode Hammel hard. I have no reason to doubt their objectively and knowledge of baseball. I defer to their wisdom.

I listened to the Tiger announcers on the MLB.com replay. They were certain right away that Hammel did it on purpose. On the replay when they saw it was a breaking pitch, they remained outraged and really rode Hammel hard. I have no reason to doubt their objectively and knowledge of baseball. I defer to their wisdom.

Gary Thorne was sure he did it on purpose right away too.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=27647761&c_id=mlb

He is a hockey guy though, so he's used to retaliation in sports.

Archived