13th in AL in Pitching

jtschrei

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2013/seasontype/2/league/al

I just can't see us putting together a long winning streak or going to the playoffs, let alone winning in the playoffs, until our pitching improves.

What cards does DD have left in his hand? He played Gausman. What's left? Wada? We will make a trade by the middle of July if the pitching stays this inconsistent.

I don't necessarily disagree but the 1996 team went to the ALCS and the pitching on that team was horrible...ERA over 5 I believe. Now granted they scored like 950 runs...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't necessarily disagree but the 1996 team went to the ALCS and the pitching on that team was horrible...ERA over 5 I believe. Now granted they scored like 950 runs...

That was a completely different era. Also, that team wasn't that great. They won 88, I believe, and really had to rally at the break to do it.

It's not just the starters. The bullpen has been horrible too. Jim Johnson and Strop have had their heads in the sand.

The relievers are about middle of the pack and Johnson has been better of late. 4 for 4 on the the last 4 saves. Not sure what you mean by head in the sand.

That team finished with a 5.08 ERA if I recall, which was good for like 8th in the AL. That's how offensively juiced (pun intended) that era was. Talent wasn't the problem with that staff, they had Mussina, Erickson, and Wells in the rotation, and most of the bullpen that would excel the next season. The team just underachieved and underperformed most of the season relative to their talent, which I think was one of the reasons they finished sub .500 the year before. I can't say that this team has a Mussina, Wells, or Erickson on its ranks right now. Maybe Chen or Hammel can be a Erickson or Wells, but they certainly don't have a Mussina.

Only because we were like 8th I think in April. We have been dead last since the beginning of May.

You can take solace in the fact that this month we've given up 2 runs or less in 60% of our games! :2yay-thumb:

It's the 40% with 10 or more that we need to work on.....

That was a completely different era. Also, that team wasn't that great. They won 88, I believe, and really had to rally at the break to do it.

This team isn't great. It's a team with some outstanding strengths, some weaknesses, and some average guys. And if things break right they'll win 88 games. Maybe more, maybe less.

Archived