Will Angelos pay for an arm, or is it business as usual

Miamiorioles

Bisciotti is a great owner, but when do the ravens ever sign a huge free agent? Never, they draft and develop, and that's what the o's need to do. Its not a direct comparison due to the major differences in the sports.

We need to add depth and keep hold of prospects and develop them ourselves, it seems to be the best way for long term success, we're never going to be a money is no object team so i think this is the best way. That's not to say we cant get some better pitching but I'm not convinced someone like Lee is a solution. I'd rather spend that money on keeping some our current team. It wasn't pitching that cost us last year it was the fact unfortunately our bats vanished when it mattered most.

If baseball was structured like football, you could sign Lee for this year and then cut him. You can't do that in baseball. The only comparison between the Ravens and Orioles that makes any sense is that they are both shooting for long term success. If the O's sign Lee and he blows out his arm, they could have another 15 years of losing. No thank you. I've been through it once, never again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer-Elvis Dumerville.

O's could have added Hamilton or traded for Lee or Holliday in off season, even though he is currently rehabbing. The point is that all teams that are successful build from within with farm system, add through free agency and trades. We do not add through free agency, that is what ultimately make us a wild card team rather than WS team.

Answer-Elvis Dumerville.

O's could have added Hamilton or traded for Lee or Holliday in off season, even though he is currently rehabbing. The point is that all teams that are successful build from within with farm system, add through free agency and trades. We do not add through free agency, that is what ultimately make us a wild card team rather than WS team.

The Angels and Yankees with all their high spending have worse records than the Orioles. You're just stirring trouble instead of having a meaningful discussion. Hamilton? What a joke! If that's the type of player you're talking about, then I don't even know what to tell you.

Answer-Elvis Dumerville.

Some more on your Josh Hamilton! Your superstar! :rolleyes:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/133780-Josh-Hamilton

Answer-Elvis Dumerville.

Wrong. The Packers haven't signed a meaningful free agent in 10 years. They are in the playoffs every year.

I do think the money will be available for the right pitcher.

I do not think $20 million a year for multiple years will happen. But putting up a big dollar amount for the half this season and/or next season is very plausible.

It's the long term commitment that scares Angelo's.

My suspicion, DD already has his orders and his budget options. He can spend so long as he doesn't blow all the chips on a long term soul crushing contract.

Answer-Elvis Dumerville.

You're getting pale.

Through the years I have had as much angst as anyone with Angelos, but I'm not sure that other than Lee there is a top of the rotation starter available that would make a difference. Gonzo, Chen, and Hammel were very good in the post season last year. If you think back to the Yankee series we struggled to score. Would having Cliff Lee have made the difference in game 5? Only if he threw a shutout. And to get Lee would likely cost a Gausman or Bundy.

Garza isn't a TOR guy. In one game, would you pick him over Gonzo, Chen, Hammel, or Tillman?

As of today, the teams we would have to beat to get to the WS are Bos, Det, Oakland, and Texas. All have good starters but I would say the TOR guys that you would absolutely pick over our current starters are Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez, Lester, and maybe Bucholz. I really don't see any other starter that is TOR above our guys.

If I am DD I would love to add a quality bullpen arm, a 2B if Roberts isn't healthy, and that would be it.

Never capitalize the names yanks or sox.

The Ravens rebuild their defense in one month after winning the world championship. The Orioles don't spend ANY money equivalent to what they make. Thank God for Steve Bisciotti. At least one Baltimore owner that will pay to win.

Please take your ignorance else where. Its fans like you that make me hate the ravens.

Why do some people keep talking like we can just sign Lee or any other pitcher for that matter. We have to TRADE for someone. You know what Lee is going to cost in prospects? Gausman or Bundy. I am perfectly happy with going after Norris, Nolasco, or Gallardo. I am still on the Peavy and Garza bandwagon but I don't think we get them. The only grip I have about trying for a starter is I hope we get someone sooner rather then at the near end of the trading deadline.

For those who think Peter Angelos is unwilling to spend any money whatsoever, the only reason Chris Davis is on the Orioles at all is because Peter sent an additional couple million dollars along with Koji to Texas for both Davis and Tommy Hunter (sidebar: At the time of that trade, no one knew if Chris was anything more than a 4A player, able to hit for power with several holes in his swing). Buck has alluded to this fact a couple of times in press conferences.

1game out, June 21st. Now is the time to make a move, not that petey will allow.

So you'd be willing to part with Bundy or Gausman, plus 2 or 3 others to take on a ton of salary for a guy at the end of his career that has already had back issues?

Just because someone makes a high salary it doesn't guarantee that they're a superior talent. Nor does high payroll equal team success. Would you like to be in the situation that the Dodgers and Angels are in? Locked in to big money, long term deals to players clearly in decline is about the worst place to be as a franchise.

But their owners spent big money so WOO HOO!!:rolleyes:

There are players out there with huge contracts that won't take premier talent to trade for, the teams they are with just want to unload salary. Unfortunately, Angelo's won't part with any of his money.

Maybe we aren't signing 25 million dollar pitchers because we need to re-sign Davis and Wieters. Just maybe, the GM is taking a long term view of the situation? I'm not sure Lee is worth his current salary and I'm very sure he won't be worth his salary in the upcoming years. We need a DH, a 2B, a shut down reliever and another starter. This is actually a lot less then most teams needs. So, what DD should be doing, imo, is to get 2 or 3 of those needs as cheap as possible so that in upcoming years we can maintain the base.

Archived