Did I Hear Mike Bordick Correct??

ExileAngelos

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ben Mcdonald is the worst. Plus he sounds like a redneck. Well actually Cal Ripken is the worst. Seeing Beltre play the last two games really makes me hate those comments about him being better than Brooksie. Beltre doesn't compare to Longoria much alone the best there ever was.

I think you're going to find many people that disagree with you. McDonald is very good at color commentary and knowledgeable. I think his main gig is doing LSU games, maybe? I bet we'll see & hear him in the next month or two for a guest spot for a week.

As for Beltre, he's universally thought of as an excellent defensive 3b. He's really, really good.

Yeah I like listening to Bordick as well. I don't get all of the crap that he gets on here. People forget that he's still new to this role and it's probably hard to be impartial at first when you're calling for a team you played for. I'm sure he'll get better but he's still now Davis, Hunter, or Dempsey...those are homers.

In my non scientific experience of watching sports. The greater the player the less homer and more critical they are of current players. The marginal players tend to have more empathy for the journeymen and just "ok" players.

Yea, I'm not sure how people can call that average.

There is so much more involved to being a good player than your slash line. You have to look at how many PA's and AB's they get. Are they durable? How is their baserunning? How is their fielding? What position do they play? Is it a negative positional value or positive?

Also here's an interesting hypothetical scenario........say nick does get 3,000 hits in the post steroid era with no questions asked........could they let him in the HOF, hypothetically speaking, even with 0 all star game appearances (even though we all know what a joke this has become).

Think about that hypothetical......it's a tough one. A hall of famer who was never once an all star.......it could theoretically be possible.

He should be in for what he did on the field. There are HOF that never played in a

World Series game.

He has 24.5 War in 7 1/2 seasons at age 29. If he played another 9 seasons a his current pace he would end up with 55 War for his career. If he could get up to around 60 he would have a decent chance. Guys in that range have made it. Well Dave Winfield made it in a landslide and Reggie Smith got almost no votes. So I think it is more a popularity thing too. Maybe if the Orioles make the post season a few times and Markakis shines he will get noticed enough to have a chance.

When you look at Baseball-Reference.com, the most similar batters to Nick are Rusty Greer, Andre Ethier, Bernard Gilkey, Frank Catalanotto, Trot Nixon, Troy O'Leary, Mike Easler, Jay Payton, Disco Dan Ford & Bob Niemann. None of them are sniffing the Hall. His Hall of Fame Monitor number is 22 which, if I remember correctly is kinda taking a look at how a player's career is progressing towards the Hall. An average HOF score would be 100. The other scores don't come anywhere close either.

Nick doesn't sniff the big Hall but will probably easily make the O's Hall.

Yeah I like listening to Bordick as well. I don't get all of the crap that he gets on here. People forget that he's still new to this role and it's probably hard to be impartial at first when you're calling for a team you played for. I'm sure he'll get better but he's still now Davis, Hunter, or Dempsey...those are homers.

He also is a part time coach with the Orioles. Helps out with the infield and some other drills. I think he is better with Thorne but sometimes his bias is just as bad as Hunter. Dempsey seems more honest when he is not on the MASN broadcast.Bordick has said Orioles never throw at players and said Orioles never steal signs.:)

The Orioles’ strength is a classy, in-its-prime everyday lineup that has stayed almost mystically healthy this year. “They hit and field better than we did,” Orioles broadcaster and ’83 World Series MVP Rick Dempsey said.

Unfortunately, the Birds also have enough fourth and fifth starters to fund the rotations of several teams. But there’s no ace in sight. “They don’t have the starting pitching we had,” Dempsey said, putting it kindly. That one Chen jersey may be the only O’s shirt for a starting pitcher in the park.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/baltimore-orioles-are-making-camden-yards-fun-again/2013/07/10/2436b3dc-e988-11e2-aa9f-c03a72e2d342_story.html

Ben Mcdonald is the worst. Plus he sounds like a redneck. Well actually Cal Ripken is the worst. Seeing Beltre play the last two games really makes me hate those comments about him being better than Brooksie. Beltre doesn't compare to Longoria much alone the best there ever was.

Redneck is a pejorative and I do not think it appropriate to use on this board.

All this should be in your opinion. What Ripken said about Beltre was his opinion.

Not that it is or was correct. Let it go. It is in the past. IMO

I didn't think he did a good job with his commentary. People can't help their accent and I can't help that it annoys me. He was as bad as the Nationals crew. I think that had a former Oriole on it as well.

Yes you can. A persons accent should never annoy anyone. IMO

Redneck is a pejorative and I do not think it appropriate to use on this board.

I am sorry for those I offended. Let me rephrase. Ben sounds like an uneducated person from the backwoods of the American deep south. His lack of intelligence and his pronunciation of the English language annoys me. Unless someone does a pygmalion on him I hope he doesn't do any oriole games.

I am sorry for those I offended. Let me rephrase. Ben sounds like an uneducated person from the backwoods of the American deep south. His lack of intelligence and his pronunciation of the English language annoys me. Unless someone does a pygmalion on him I hope he doesn't do any oriole games.

I thought that Ben provided the most baseball insight outside of Jim Palmer. A lot of people just focus on voice, but I want to hear about the baseball side that I can not research myself. I love Mike Bordick, but man is he a snooze fest and it does bother me that he is a complete homer. I do not want that or need to know everyday that Ripken or Bordick fall head over heels regarding the Orioles.

So what you are saying is that how you talk says a lot about your intellect. If that is what you are saying than I still disagree.

My impression was that he's a guy who sounds like where he came from. Didn't think he exhibited any lack of intelligence, no moreso than the announcers who sound polished and right out of radio casting central but continually talk about BS that the most basic research disproved 25 years ago.

Good old Pete.....if he had played in this day and age he'd be roundly hated......like Bryce Harper on steroids (the hatred for how he plays I mean).....

But since he played back in the day, everyone remembers him fondly (off the field stuff aside) for how he played all out all the time.

Me and my brothers grew up idolizing Pete Rose. Our Dad taught us that the way he played was the way we should play. At least we should exhibit the effort he showed. He especially loved the running down to first on walks and head first slides.

Years later I met Rose through my buddy, Craig, I had played against in HS and then with in college locally. He explained Pete was his godfather. I met him briefly at my friends house and it was no big deal, but years later when he got into trouble for gambling there was an incident I'll never forget.

I had to sit out my first year in college because of injury and had made a habit of taking weekend trips to Vegas to make some extra money on the craps tables. I got pretty good at it and was headed back one Sunday night after a really successful journey when Craig called me and asked if I wanted to meet him and his family at his Dad's deli in the Valley. Rose would be there and I should stop on by. I said ok.

Now, on my trip I had parlayed some of my winnings into a nice gold Movado watch from the store at Caesar's Palace. I had never really done anything like that, but I didn't have a nice watch and Movados were popular at the time. I told Craig all about it before I got there.

So, I get to the restaurant and Craig's family is all there with Rose and I sit down. Craig reintroduces me because Rose never remembers me even though this is the third or fourth time I've 'met' him now. Craig starts telling them where I've come back from, though I wish he wouldn't, and he points out my watch. "Show my Dad the watch, Jonny." I stand up for his dad to show him the watch. "Very nice, Jon" says Mr. Lapiner.

And then, from the other end of the table Rose stands up and barks, "You wanna see a watch...." taking his gaudy, gold nugget watch from his wrist "....there's a watch!"

:o

Sheesh.

Archived