Boras: Wieters may Test Free Agency

Rene88

Yeah, you're going o have to expand with some specifics as related to Wieters/catcher. The offensive component of fWAR is very similar to rWAR . In fact rrWAR modified it's weighted average formula to closely match fWAR several years ago.

From picking apart rWAR;s defensive components, Wieter's is being killed pretty well by the "catcher ERA" component this year taking him from average to minus 7 runs on defense. I consider that to be very misleading, if not inaccurate, particularly from a yearly evaluation basis.

It is very difficult to get a statistical handle on how much a catcher's pitch-calling and/or framing affects the outcomes for pitchers, even though I do believe they have an effect. Showalter and the Orioles' pitchers swear by Wieters' pitch-calling abilities, but I've never been completely convinced that he is above average in that area. If he is, then our pitchers must suck even worse than their ERAs would indicate.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is very difficult to get a statistical handle on how much a catcher's pitch-calling and/or framing affects the outcomes for pitchers, even though I do believe they have an effect. Showalter and the Orioles' pitchers swear by Wieters' pitch-calling abilities, but I've never been completely convinced that he is above average in that area. If he is, then our pitchers must suck even worse than their ERAs would indicate.

All this particular component does is compare his ERA to the staff ERA on a yearly basis. For whatever reason Wieters (when catching) is well below the overall staff ERA this year (not the first time this has been pointed out). That hasn't been the case in previous years when he's been above average.

I don't care for this stat myself.

All this particular component does is compare his ERA to the staff ERA on a yearly basis. For whatever reason Wieters (when catching) is well below the overall staff ERA this year (not the first time this has been pointed out). That hasn't been the case in previous years when he's been above average.

It seems like way too much happenstance to be taken seriously. I mean how many games has Wieters not been in?

I haven't read everything. Just commenting on OP. Most Boras clients test FA. So this really shouldn't be a surprise.

That's what I was thinking. Also, why would Boras say anything different? Until Wieters hits free agency, Boras is only negotiating with one team.

It seems like way too much happenstance to be taken seriously. I mean how many games has Wieters not been in?

Yeah, one of the reasons I've never liked C-ERA. I quite frankly thought it was dead. At the very least it can be wildlly erratic over a one year period, and I think that's the case here.

Yeah, I think that is terrible. There have been plenty of studies showing that CERA is full of noise. I might be willing to give it some credence in a situation where two catchers are splitting the duties 50-50 or 60-40. But Teagarden and Snyder have caught 16 games combined.

Yeah, I think that is terrible. There have been plenty of studies showing that CERA is full of noise. I might be willing to give it some credence in a situation where two catchers are splitting the duties 50-50 or 60-40. But Teagarden and Snyder have caught 16 games combined.

So what if a team has one good defensive catcher and one stellar defensive catcher? Does the good catcher get a negative rating on this stat? There's no true way to measure what team era would be with a baseline catcher I wouldn't think.

So what if a team has one good defensive catcher and one stellar defensive catcher? Does the good catcher get a negative rating on this stat? There's no true way to measure what team era would be with a baseline catcher I wouldn't think.

Good point.

Archived