Kendrys Morales Claimed per MLBTR

dbmillertime

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do? Teams seem loath to give up the draft pick and slot money for the new category of upper tier free agents.

Yeah I'm not sure of the dynamics of that yet, but I could see him getting a 3/30+mil contract pretty easily. Looks like he's reasonably healthy, only 30 and can play a plus first base.

Yeah I'm not sure of the dynamics of that yet, but I could see him getting a 3/30+mil contract pretty easily. Looks like he's reasonably healthy, only 30 and can play a plus first base.

Let's keep in mind that the M's have to be willing to sign him to said 1 yr / 14M contract should there be no takers. I'm not really sure that's something they would want.

Let's keep in mind that the M's have to be willing to sign him to said 1 yr / 14M contract should there be no takers. I'm not really sure that's something they would want.

Nothing is without some risk. Not sure why they couldn't feel this one out in advance though. I'm pretty sure he has to decline the offer and declare free agency. He can't go back after and say I want to take the offer when nobody wants him.

Nothing is without some risk. Not sure why they couldn't feel this one out in advance though.

Oh most definitely. I'm just saying I think that's why they would try to trade him now because they may doubt a teams willingness to give up a draft pick for him/he would jump all over that 1/14 deal at his agent's advice.

To me, he'd be a nice guy to trade for and lock up as DH for the next couple of seasons.

I'm speculating a bit here, but would you take 14 mil for 1 year when you could get 30 mil guaranteed for three years?

Depends.

Things to consider:

Next year will be his age 31 season.

He will likely be playing DH, thus less chance of injury.

As always, if he regresses, then he may receive substantially less the following year.

Does he like Seattle? Who knows?

I don't think the offer changes much between the age 31 and 32 season, especially given your hypothetical years (3), so I would be inclined to say yes, considering the 1-yr deal is ~43% of the total value of the three year deal.

It's no big deal. The Mariners were probably just testing the waters. Loads of teams slip players onto the waiver wire to gauge reaction and interest. Then if the player is claimed they can just reel him back in. It's usually not leaked to the public. To hold onto their fan base, the Mariners should try to hold onto Morales and re-sign him.

Archived