Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

Since others have called you a troll and for the most part I've taken up for you, but do you really mean this or are your trying to use hyperbole for effect?

We traded away a AAA outfielder who has the upside of a 5th outfielder up down guy for a guy who may be able to get hot and help this team down the stretch. The Orioles were going to DFA Avery off the 40-man roster this winter anyways.

Either you are giant troll, or you really are haivn g ahrd time grasping that the GM is trying to find guys that will help this team and besides Delmonico, I haven't seen a guy go yet that I was sorry to see go for the "rentals". Even in Delmonico, we're talking about a guy who has struggled to hit for average and has no defensive position and has been downright awful since about late May this year.

Yeah, I've said before, when it all boils down I see a few years of Norris, some vets who might help this year, and a bunch of nothing out the door. DD seems to think the same of the players he traded as I do. Now, one could argue more value could have been received for the players we dealt but I'm good with what DD has done and might even welcome Morse and Feldman back on cheap one year deals. I don't like KRod at all but understood the need. Still ticked we didn't bring Koji back but...

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Avery for 30 days of Morse when we have a 10% chance of winning? Avery isn't a long term piece but I would rather have someone signed through next year. This one really baffles me.

It is 30 days of Avery vs. 30 days of Morse (plus the salary difference). Avery was not going to stay on the 40-man roster after this season.

Kinda bummed about giving up the draft pick for Norris. Then again you are higher on Norris then I am.

I was talking specifically about the "rentals," not Norris. You are right though, I am much higher on Norris. I think Norris is a solid starter though who is going to give the team a solid guy in the rotation for another two years. As much as I hated giving up a great local story and the potential of Josh Hader as well as the pick, I'll make that trade every time.

Delmonico really took a step back this year after Single-A pitchers got the book on him and with his lack of defensive value, Duquette may have sold high on him. At the end of the day, Duquette turned a minor league A-ball player putting up a sub-700 OPS with no defensive value into a major league reliever for a bullpen that needed another good arm.

Whether the Orioles make the playoffs or not, I'm glad we have a GM trying to make us better without giving up our top prospects. For years people have lamented that our GMs sat on their hands while other teams made trades, waiver claims, and signed minor league free agents that could help the team. Now we have one and some of the same people are complaining over giving up minor league players, including some that have the upside of 5th outfielder pinch runner for major league players that help the depth of the roster.

Is he any worse than Pearce in LF? i don't see how.

Easily. In his last 1000 defensive innings in the outfield Morse grades out at about -20. That's cringe-inducing. Pearce only has about 780 innings in the outfield in the majors but looks to be average to just a tick below average, depending on the metric.

Ok, now I get why Webbrick has his reputation, lol. I would have liked to have kept Avery, but they obviously decided he wasn't going to make it here. Good luck to him, and welcome to B-more, Mike Morse. If his wrist is healed and his quad is healed, he'll help the O's.

Similar Batters through 30

Compare Stats to Similars

Kevin Millar (963)

Jay Payton (948)

Ryan Ludwick (945)

Hideki Matsui (945)

Brian Jordan (943)

Charlie Maxwell (941)

George Selkirk (939)

Moose Solters (934)

Jerry Lynch (933)

Smead Jolley (933)

Yeah, I've said before, when it all boils down I see a few years of Norris, some vets who might help this year, and a bunch of nothing out the door. DD seems to think the same of the players he traded as I do. Now, one could argue more value could have been received for the players we dealt but I'm good with what DD has done and might even welcome Morse and Feldman back on cheap one year deals. I don't like KRod at all but understood the need. Still ticked we didn't bring Koji back but...

No doubt not bringing back Koji this year was a blunder. Love watching that guy pitch.

The Orioles acquire another guy who will swing at ball 4. Awesome. Ed Rodriguez was not too high a price to pay considering he's a likely a bullpen arm at best, especially after trading Delmonico for a few months of K-Rod. Hopefully Morse can at least try to have some gpod ABs while he's an Oriole.

Wow. You have said some dumb things but this takes the cake.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/djV11Xbc914" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And it begins.

To go along with McLouth's Mr. Mister at bat music.

The O's PR bunch needs to have an 80's night promo at the yard - discounted hot dog prices, 80's music, throw back uni's, etc. Encourage the fans to dress in their 80's O's gear. I've got an 80's Orioles track suit recently acquired from ebay ready to go!

We had the sheriff - he gone. We still have the Deputy. Is Michael Morse the new Marshall in town????

Easily. In his last 1000 defensive innings in the outfield Morse grades out at about -20. That's cringe-inducing. Pearce only has about 780 innings in the outfield in the majors but looks to be average to just a tick below average, depending on the metric.

I don't think the difference between Pearce and Morse defensively in LF is worth gauging when they are only going to be playing out there vs LHP...they are both horrible defensively...it's not like we are comparing Morse to Brett Gardner.

Similar Batters through 30

Compare Stats to Similars

Kevin Millar (963)

Jay Payton (948)

Ryan Ludwick (945)

Hideki Matsui (945)

Brian Jordan (943)

Charlie Maxwell (941)

George Selkirk (939)

Moose Solters (934)

Jerry Lynch (933)

Smead Jolley (933)

Wow... he's the new Twinkletoes Selkirk? I like him better already!

Archived