Manny Machado in 2014

webbrick2010

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Most popular jerseys (2nd half): 1 Rivera, 2 Harvey, 3 Puig, 4 Machado, 5 Posey, 6 Kershaw, 7 Molina, 8 McCutchen, 9 Cespedes, 10 Trout</p>— MLB Public Relations (@MLB_PR) <a href="

">September 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's kind of crazy how little you hear about Trout on major sports networks. He comes up all the time in B-media or alt-media or whatever you want to call it (Grantland, fangraphs, etc.), but I almost never see him mentioned on TV the way you hear about Harper, Puig or Cabrera.

It's kind of crazy how little you hear about Trout on major sports networks. He comes up all the time in B-media or alt-media or whatever you want to call it (Grantland, fangraphs, etc.), but I almost never see him mentioned on TV the way you hear about Harper, Puig or Cabrera.

The LAAoA are not a playoff team.

• 2 months later...

Bump.. thought this thread should be revived, as it was posted just a few days before Manny went down with his injury.

So, what do you expect from Manny in 2014? I'll come out and say that I'm 99% optimistic that his knee surgery won't affect him at all, and he'll be 100% on Opening Day. I just don't think the doctors would have advised surgery if there was much risk involved, since Manny clearly had the option of rest and rehab.

That to one side, it's uncertain whether Manny will improve on his .283/.314/.432 slash line. After May 30, he hit .255/.284/.382. I'd be deeply disappointed if Manny's overall slash line in 2014 was a step backward from his overall line in 2013, but I could see it happening.

Bump.. thought this thread should be revived, as it was posted just a few days before Manny went down with his injury.

So, what do you expect from Manny in 2014? I'll come out and say that I'm 99% optimistic that his knee surgery won't affect him at all, and he'll be 100% on Opening Day. I just don't think the doctors would have advised surgery if there was much risk involved, since Manny clearly had the option of rest and rehab.

That to one side, it's uncertain whether Manny will improve on his .283/.314/.432 slash line. After May 30, he hit .255/.284/.382. I'd be deeply disappointed if Manny's overall slash line in 2014 was a step backward from his overall line in 2013, but I could see it happening.

I'm not quite sure what caused Manny to struggle so much from June on. It seemed to me that he chased a lot of bad pitches and wasn't trying as deliberately to hit the ball the other way. I sure hope he can figure things out. If he winds up with a line closer to his one from June on, he's not going to be very valuable to the team despite his stellar defense.

If his bat does not improve significantly over his second half slash line then it really doesn't play at 3B and his move to SS is even more imperative.

Of course I have been beating the drum for a while on trading Hardy and moving Machado to SS.

It isn't a matter of if his bat can play there it is a matter of if his Bat + Glove will play there. How many less runs did the O's give up because he was there instead of someone like Valencia?

(not disagreeing with moving hit to short tho, just not because of his bat)

Two words for Manny to improve upon his line from last year.

Plate discipline.

Agreed 100%

I feel good that he will though improve in this area. Manny strikes me as a cat who is continuously looking to improve and successful in doing so. I have full confidence he will continue to improve in all facets of his game.

His dropoff in the second half to me was a function of a number of things. Acclimation to the length of schedule, guys adjustsing to him ect..... Any player takes longer to adjust to how pitcher adjust to them regardless of how good they are. There are very few exceptions to this historically. Manny will only get better...he is the real deal :)

Agreed 100%

I feel good that he will though improve in this area. Manny strikes me as a cat who is continuously looking to improve and successful in doing so. I have full confidence he will continue to improve in all facets of his game.

His dropoff in the second half to me was a function of a number of things. Acclimation to the length of schedule, guys adjustsing to him ect..... Any player takes longer to adjust to how pitcher adjust to them regardless of how good they are. There are very few exceptions to this historically. Manny will only get better...he is the real deal :)

That was supposed to read. "any YOUNG player takes longer to adjust"

Archived