Cal Ripken's Legacy

TonySoprano

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-baseball/cal-ripken-jr-net-worth/

http://www.richestnetworth.com/cal-ripken-jr-net-worth/

This is Forbes on Cal's "Brand":

Ripken oversees ventures that generate $30 million a year in gross revenue and a foundation with a $14 million annual budget. Ripken’s success is in part due to the great brand he developed during his illustrious career in which his name became synonymous with doing things the right way on and off the field. He also works incredibly hard.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2013/07/16/cal-ripkens-30-million-baseball-brand/

You are missing the point. I know a lot of people on the BALTIMORE area, a lot more than you so perhaps I'm not just pulling this out of my rear. Perhaps all the whispers and hearsay are just people jealous of Cal. ORRRRRR, maybe there is something to corporate Cal. Regardless, we've all had our say and neither are going to convince the other.

I think you aren't making your point clear. Just spell out in a couple short sentences exactly what parties were watching Cal to see if he was a "national" guy. In other words, who was his target audience? If he had a thought out plan for coming off as a "non-O's" guy, and he is as calculated in his moves as you/Gordo believe, this should be a pretty straight forward A + B = C.

I don't understand how the larger talent pool, better training, nutrition, and skill of today's athletes would affect Brooks' fielding - which is what made Brooks great. At the end of the day the ball still comes at Brooks the same way whether it was hit by Arod or Lee May.

You don't think strength and athleticism affect range, flexibility, arm strength, etc.?

Do you think Katie Perry is a better singer than Ella Fitzgerald? Skill and talent are two different things.

I have not heard of additional voice training methods that have come into vogue since Ella stopped singing. All the advances I have heard of consist of artificially changing the singer's voice after the tracks are laid down.

Do you think Katie Perry is a better singer than Ella Fitzgerald? Skill and talent are two different things.

Isn't that like saying "Do you think Aubrey Huff is a better third baseman than Brooks Robinson?" I'm not sure anyone is arguing that the world of either music or baseball has advanced to the point where a run-of-the-mill (although popular and somewhat famous) persona from today is superior to an all-time great from the relatively recent past.

Isn't that like saying "Do you think Aubrey Huff is a better third baseman than Brooks Robinson?" I'm not sure anyone is arguing that the world of either music or baseball has advanced to the point where a run-of-the-mill (although popular and somewhat famous) persona from today is superior to an all-time great from the relatively recent past.

Define relatively recent past.

Archived