Cal Ripken's Legacy

TonySoprano

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an interesting take, and the one exception that immediately leaps to mind is Michael Phelps.

Phelps is a home town boy, but I don't get the same feelings for him, like Cal and Billy.

I guess, because Cal and Billy actually played ball here, at least for their home games.

Phelps was usually at the Olympic center training, when he wasn't at the Olympics, just doesn't have the same feel for it

I'll play.

He's credited by some as saving baseball after the strike.

He was an excellent 3rd baseman; but no Brooks Robinson.

He was great to the fans and tireless in signing autographs long after the games were over.

But he is also described as aloof and standoffish in the clubhouse and selfish by some when the subject of the "streak" comes up.

He surprised the the press when he said he really didn't know very much about Lou Gehrig when he was chasing his record. He was chastised by Keith Olbermann for that.

Some of his teammates weren't crazy over his choice to use a private limo over the team bus or when he would opt to stay in a hotel other than the team hotel during away games.

He was dull; not exciting. Frank Wren signed Albert Belle because he felt the team needed a star "with more passion, more fire."

And during the 2012 playoff games on TBS, "Carl" Ripken, Jr. was roundly criticized, primarily by Orioles fans, for his seemingly pro-NY Yankees bias.

Greatest player in the history of the franchise.

Well, in your lifetime sure.

But others will point out, that in their lifetime, Brooks is Mr. Oriole and the greatest in history.

I personally like them both, and have a hard time saying either is more important or greater than the other.

Ironically, they both point to the other as being Mr. Oriole.

Well, in your lifetime sure.

But others will point out, that in their lifetime, Brooks is Mr. Oriole and the greatest in history.

I personally like them both, and have a hard time saying either is more important or greater than the other.

Ironically, they both point to the other as being Mr. Oriole.

Cal Ripken is the better player. That's what most older people tell me. He's just a better offensive player. Look at all his bombs.

Cal Ripken is the better player. That's what most older people tell me. He's just a better offensive player. Look at all his bombs.

Brooks was no slouch with the bat, hence his

64 MVP title.

WS MVP 70.

All Star Game MVP 66

and Two WS rings.

Yes, Cal was a bit better with the bat, and alsohad a very good glove, Brooks had more range and a better glove.

Brooks was no slouch with the bat, hence his

64 MVP title.

WS MVP 70.

All Star Game MVP 66

and Two WS rings.

Yes, Cal was a bit better with the bat, and alsohad a very good glove, Brooks had more range and a better glove.

Brooks played an easier position and Cal was easily a better hitter.

Archived