Same old Os offseason... sigh

MemorialStadKid

Man, enough of this. Why is this an us vs. them thing? Cant someone disagree about how the team should be run without being labeled an "apologist"? I don't really mind MSK's point of view but the way you guys express it with such smug self-righteousness is getting old.

I think some of us touted the company line in the past and this makes some folks feel that we are apologists. I prefer to say that we were just wrong.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. We need to keep our complaining bullets holstered until actually needed.

By the way, I do expect DD to pull the trigger on a couple of trades this offseason. Obviously he's trying to balance winning in the next 2 years with sustaining an organization that is competitive every season with budget constraints with upcoming salary negotiations. That is a lot to balance. I don't think DD intends to just play out the next 2 seasons and just lose Hardy, Wieters, Davis, Johnson, and Markakis to FA. At least I don't think he'll do that without adding some real pieces to go for it here.

I think he will definitely extend or trade at least 2 of Hardy, Wieters, Davis, and Johnson this offseason. I trust him to do the right thing.

Trading Davis and Hardy makes no sense. I think some of you have forgotten that we no longer in trying to finish in last place mode.

I think some of us touted the company line in the past and this makes some folks feel that we are apologists. I prefer to say that we were just wrong.

I think there is a fine line.

For instance, I am all for the philosophy that buying the big name, high dollar free agents is NOT the way to win. I have seen it blow up in team's faces time after time after time. Most of that "premiere talent" that Trea and crew think is the way to achieve greatness just ends up as bad contracts sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, its high time the Orioles stop nickle and diming us with these career minor leaguers and "depth" signings and start bringing in real talent that can help the Major League team get to the next level.

So, I am not for a Choo signing or Garza or Cano or any of that $20 million a year crowd. But a few Hart's or Garret Jones type moves would go a long way to helping this team.

So, they can call me an apologist because I "understand" where the Orioles are coming from, but their shtick gets old when they fail to see that WE, the apologists, criticize the organization just as much as they do.

We just do it in a smarter way! ;)

Trading Davis and Hardy makes no sense. I think some of you have forgotten that we no longer in trying to finish in last place mode.

The off season Amateur GM machinations were the only thing that kept folks happy during the long cold winter of our 14 season discontent. And the story of how Theo became Theo had some enthralled.

Not going back there. Jeep. Winning.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Mariners are on their 5th hitting coach... since 2009. Yes, the problem is (of course) the coaching staff <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23facepalm&src=hash">#facepalm</a>.</p>— Maury Brown (@BizballMaury) <a href="

">November 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And now for something completely different.

I have stopped using that term for quite some time and I promised to not use it again. I've stuck to that.

Also, it looks like something I posted mysteriously vanished but I guess I can't quote articles here?

MSK

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Mariners are on their 5th hitting coach... since 2009. Yes, the problem is (of course) the coaching staff <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23facepalm&src=hash">#facepalm</a>.</p>— Maury Brown (@BizballMaury) <a href="
">November 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And now for something completely different.

That is what being a hitting coach in a pitchers park will do to you. Sort of like Pitching coaches at Camden Yards.

I have stopped using that term for quite some time and I promised to not use it again. I've stuck to that.

Also, it looks like something I posted mysteriously vanished but I guess I can't quote articles here?

MSK

I sent you a PM. And thanks for our following our wishes.

So, they can call me an apologist because I "understand" where the Orioles are coming from, but their shtick gets old when they fail to see that WE, the apologists, criticize the organization just as much as they do.

We just do it in a smarter way! ;)

This is what gets me too. I'm an apologist because I'm not constantly crying about the same thing over and over.

Obnoxious, because I have plenty of complaints about this organization, I just have thoughts to back up my opinions.

This is what gets me too. I'm an apologist because I'm not constantly crying about the same thing over and over.

Obnoxious, because I have plenty of complaints about this organization, I just have thoughts to back up my opinions.

Exactly, and I can totally relate to the whining. Heck, I'm getting there myself. It's the separating of the "groups" who are pragmatic about it into inferior groups (apologists and/or unenlightened).

Exactly, and I can totally relate to the whining. Heck, I'm getting there myself. It's the separating of the "groups" who are pragmatic about it into inferior groups (apologists and/or unenlightened).

We should create three or four parties of "fans" and their platforms and each poster who wishes has to pick which party they wish to join. Or is that too political for the board?

We should create three or four parties of "fans" and their platforms and each poster who wishes has to pick which party they wish to join. Or is that too political for the board?

I'm just going to pick my party by the coolest name. I have no intention of reading the platforms.

I will say that this board is about as united as it ever has been in recent history, mainly due to the "apologists" (I kid..I kid..)waking up and smelling the coffee over the past year or so. Everyone pretty much realizes what we are dealing with in the warehouse (even if some won't come out and say it) and that is a good thing.

Before battle lines were drawn and it was a bunch over here, and a bunch over there. I don't really see much of that anymore except in isolated incidents.

I will say that this board is about as united as it ever has been in recent history, mainly due to the "apologists" (I kid..I kid..)waking up and smelling the coffee over the past year or so. Everyone pretty much realizes what we are dealing with in the warehouse (even if some won't come out and say it) and that is a good thing.

Before battle lines were drawn and it was a bunch over here, and a bunch over there. I don't really see much of that anymore except in isolated incidents.

I don't think much of anything has changed. Over the years, some people have "accepted" what the Orioles are under Angelos, and those people have tried to discuss what the team could/should do given the obvious limitations. Others have talked about how the Orioles should spend big, make splashy trades, etc., regardless of the *fact* that Angelos wouldn't approve of such things, and then they'd complain when those moves didn't materialize.

Same old, same old. And no one is really, truly surprised.

I don't think much of anything has changed. Over the years, some people have "accepted" what the Orioles are under Angelos, and those people have tried to discuss what the team could/should do given the obvious limitations. Others have talked about how the Orioles should spend big, make splashy trades, etc., regardless of the *fact* that Angelos wouldn't approve of such things, and then they'd complain when those moves didn't materialize.

Same old, same old. And no one is really, truly surprised.

Well, I do think one thing that has come to light is the MASN money being pocketed....at least imo.

Archived