Same old Os offseason... sigh

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think much of anything has changed. Over the years, some people have "accepted" what the Orioles are under Angelos, and those people have tried to discuss what the team could/should do given the obvious limitations. Others have talked about how the Orioles should spend big, make splashy trades, etc., regardless of the *fact* that Angelos wouldn't approve of such things, and then they'd complain when those moves didn't materialize.

Same old, same old. And no one is really, truly surprised.

The bolded is spot on. Everyone needs to remember who ultimately has to sign the check. If you have not realized this by now then you are always going to be disappointed with the Orioles off-season moves. Am I an apologist, NO. I am a realist. I know the reality of the Orioles under Peter Angelos and accept that and set my expectations accordingly.

I can live on a limited budget. DD gets told by Angelos that he is willing to spend 90-100 million per year and that's it. Call him cheap or whatever, it is what it is. What bothers me is Jim Johnson making 10 million of it and Markakis making 13 million of it when we can get similar production cheaper. Find a way to budget properly.

I can live on a limited budget. DD gets told by Angelos that he is willing to spend 90-100 million per year and that's it. Call him cheap or whatever' date=' it is what it is. What bothers me is Jim Johnson making 10 million of it and Markakis making 13 million of it when we can get similar production cheaper. Find a way to budget properly.[/quote']

This is where tension between coach and GM come into play too. DD could likely find deals dumping the salary, but what would Buck advise? I suspect he wants his closer and RFer, or at least wants a plan where there are replacements.

"We've been focused on adding some pitching depth, and that's been accomplished so far," Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com following today's acquisition of Brad Brach. Duquette also acknowledged that most of the work to be done still lies ahead: "It's only Nov. 25. We're working to set up the team to be competitive next season."

Interesting quote....we shall see!

This is where tension between coach and GM come into play too. DD could likely find deals dumping the salary, but what would Buck advise? I suspect he wants his closer and RFer, or at least wants a plan where there are replacements.

I have no idea if there is tension there but when DD dumped Teagarden against Buck's wishes last year I suspect a message was sent. Not to say Buck will have no influence, but DD should get the players and Buck coaches them.

I have no idea if there is tension there but when DD dumped Teagarden against Buck's wishes last year I suspect a message was sent. Not to say Buck will have no influence, but DD should get the players and Buck coaches them.

Look what happen when K Rod was brought in and how Buck clearly did not want him and wouldn't use him.

Look what happen when K Rod was brought in and how Buck clearly did not want him and wouldn't use him.

Yeah I don't get that at all. Buck sticks with certain players and won't use other players in critical situations no matter what. DD and Buck need to get on the same page. Why trade for a player and give up value to get him when you won't play him?

Now the reports are saying that JJ is on the trading block, aggressively being pushed to the Dodgers.

If DD can flip JJ, open up some salary, make that heavily-speculated trade of Matt W. to the Cubs for pitching and find a solid C for the Os, I would be happy if that salary relief from JJ and potential salary relief from Matt's impending free agency would be put toward a solid DH.

I really want to be surprised this year.

MSK

Now the reports are saying that JJ is on the trading block, aggressively being pushed to the Dodgers.

If DD can flip JJ, open up some salary, make that heavily-speculated trade of Matt W. to the Cubs for pitching and find a solid C for the Os, I would be happy if that salary relief from JJ and potential salary relief from Matt's impending free agency would be put toward a solid DH.

MSK

You're falling for it again. Don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.

MSK

What if the Dodgers want to send Either and 5 million per?

Archived