Oriole players are upset WOW

Greg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Peter Schmuck:

Still, when the Oakland A's are the team taking your salary dump, what does that say about the commitment of Orioles ownership to continue building a strong AL East contender?

I don't really get this argument. The Orioles felt that Jim Johnson wasn't worth in excess of $10 million. The vast majority of fans agree with that argument. I would be surprised if Schmuck didn't feel the same way. So if they feel it would be a poor decision to tender him that kind of contract, the fact that the A's were willing to do so doesn't invalidate Duquette's reasoning.

But one really has nothing to do with the other. Deciding not to spend $10 million on one thing is not the same as deciding not to spend $10 million at all.

I think most people don't trust them to spend the money saved from JJ. We'd be better off with JJ, even though he costs $10M.

From Peter Schmuck:

I don't really get this argument. The Orioles felt that Jim Johnson wasn't worth in excess of $10 million. The vast majority of fans agree with that argument. I would be surprised if Schmuck didn't feel the same way. So if they feel it would be a poor decision to tender him that kind of contract, the fact that the A's were willing to do so doesn't invalidate Duquette's reasoning.

I think for him it is all about the financial commitment from ownership, however they spend it. If we go out and make some substantial moves then that changes things.

Maybe all this backlash will turn out to be a good thing and we got the benefit of having the extra $10 million we should not have been spending on a closer anyway. Maybe this backlash will help open the purse strings. Maybe.

From Peter Schmuck:

I seriously question Schmuck's baseball acumen. That is part of the reason I quit reading him. I remember getting into with him over the O's waiting to promote Wieters to avoid Super 2 status. (He didn't see a correlation)

I think most people don't trust them to spend the money saved from JJ. We'd be better off with JJ, even though he costs $10M.

I suppose that's valid. But at this point, Duquette is saying the opposite. I would say, at this point, he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt...

Maybe all this backlash will turn out to be a good thing and we got the benefit of having the extra $10 million we should not have been spending on a closer anyway. Maybe this backlash will help open the purse strings. Maybe.

flaming_torch.jpg

"Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)"

baltimoreoffice.jpg

I think for him it is all about the financial commitment from ownership, however they spend it. If we go out and make some substantial moves then that changes things.

Then that goes back to the old argument from some folks of spending just to spend. It's like when people on here complain that money isn't being spent on FA's but then can't really name any FAs that they want signed.

And honestly, even if Duquette doesn't utilize that $10m elsewhere, it still doesn't mean it should have been spent on JJ or any bullpen pitcher.

Then that goes back to the old argument from some folks of spending just to spend. It's like when people on here complain that money isn't being spent on FA's but then can't really name any FAs that they want signed.

That's because the all turn out bad ;) Well, except for Koji. And Victorino.

Archived