Oriole players are upset WOW

Greg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, it WAS a major factor, but lets take your point.If his 9 blown saves DIDNT cost us the playoffs...would we have been in the playoffs

if he blew only two?If the answer is no show me how.

The answer is "no" when you consider that TB finished 7 games ahead of us despite 8 blown saves from Rodney. Does Jason Hammel get a pass for his 8 losses?

Yeah. Name Names. I'll go tweet about it. By the way. I think it was a savvy move from a GM with a limited budget and one that allows the winning to continue unlike the Markakis extension and the Roberts extension.

While neither extension have paid dividends...both have gone a long way towards putting the franchise on a better footing. Criticize the return after the fact, but the moves were both heralded as the Orioles finally moving in the right direction.

Well, this is true from history, but really after two winning seasons, does it not make sense to give DD some room?

As long as PA is setting the budget, I don't trust the Orioles to do anything in a proactive manner. I hope I'm proven wrong, but that SOB has pulled the ball away from fans way too many times.

First of all, it WAS a major factor, but lets take your point.If his 9 blown saves DIDNT cost us the playoffs...would we have been in the playoffs

if he blew only two?If the answer is no show me how.

Roy, you are smarter than this....

Any sophomoric search of save percentage or blown save stats will easily show you that if JJ only blew 2 saves given his number of opportunities.....his cost would not have been 10+ mil but higher.

Yes statistically if he only blew 2 we would have been in the playoffs. But really is this what you want to hang your hat on for why the Orioles missed the playoffs?

The Arizona series was painful...and it hurt...but looking at the season, you don't really think that the thing that kept us from reaching the World Series was JJ do you?

And furthermore, if you do think that, why the hell would you care that we dumped him for next to nothing? I don't get it?

And I love your info here even when it is more fanatical than your sports expertise.

Well, this is true from history, but really after two winning seasons, does it not make sense to give DD some room?

How about this: does it make sense to pay a guy playing the game's most volatile position, who isn't worth $10 million, $10 million? I'm fine with starting the conversation right there, whether DD has an infinite budget or not. His periphs are unimpressive and his value is massively inflated by a worthless statistic. To the traditionalist, he has blown it during the playoffs. What am I missing that makes it a teeth-gnashing decision to dump him? Can you find a GM dumb enough to give us something for him? Never mind Roy Firestone's insane idea about "two top AA pitchers" (lol), the reason a guy about to make 8 figures was dumped for nothing was because nobody wanted him at that price for what he is. Fangraphs has him and Brian Roberts at the same WAR last year, and I believe them. And he'll make about what Roberts made last year, this year.

Darren O'Day is as good as Johnson, maybe better, and he signed a two year contract for 43 dollars in Canadian pennies and a used Karl Malone Chia Pet. But people are fine pissing away resources on Jim Johnson.

As long as PA is setting the budget, I don't trust the Orioles to do anything in a proactive manner. I hope I'm proven wrong, but that SOB has pulled the ball away from fans way too many times.

I do not disagree with this at all...but DD did not come here to play .500 ball and in spite of many saying the O's would suck he said immediately he would play winning baseball and delivered. Now, it is fair to say that it remains to be seen what he will do to get to the next level, or even that he miscalculated in not pushing for more aggressive change last off season. But is it wrong to think that he can't get us where we need to be on a 95-100 mil budget? I don't think it is. If we really think PA will ruin everything regardless of budget...then what is left but fan revolt?

edit to add:

Of course I always have this vision of Lucy pulling the ball away from Charlie Brown when I think of PA...so we are not really that far apart.

This Johnson deal sickens me. If they next move Wieters for prospects, I fear we're nothing more then the Miami Marlins north..

Don't kid yourself, the Marlins won the World Series in 2003, and actually are on the right track after collecting a bunch of prospects in their most recent fire sale.

Yes statistically if he only blew 2 we would have been in the playoffs. But really is this what you want to hang your hat on for why the Orioles missed the playoffs?

The Arizona series was painful...and it hurt...but looking at the season, you don't really think that the thing that kept us from reaching the World Series was JJ do you?

Don't forget about the other miscellany that lost us games... like our CF mishandling an easily catchable fly ball to (literally) drop a game to the Yankees, or Casilla commiting a base-running blunder that cost us a chance to tie a game... or a half-dozen similar occurrences from various players. Every one of those has an impact very similar to a blown save.

While neither extension have paid dividends...both have gone a long way towards putting the franchise on a better footing. Criticize the return after the fact, but the moves were both heralded as the Orioles finally moving in the right direction.

Not by me ... not at the time nor anytime since.

How about this: does it make sense to pay a guy playing the game's most volatile position, who isn't worth $10 million, $10 million? I'm fine with starting the conversation right there, whether DD has an infinite budget or not. His periphs are unimpressive and his value is massively inflated by a worthless statistic. To the traditionalist, he has blown it during the playoffs. What am I missing that makes it a teeth-gnashing decision to dump him? Can you find a GM dumb enough to give us something for him? Never mind Roy Firestone's insane idea about "two top AA pitchers" (lol), the reason a guy about to make 8 figures was dumped for nothing was because nobody wanted him at that price for what he is. Fangraphs has him and Brian Roberts at the same WAR last year, and I believe them. And he'll make about what Roberts made last year, this year.

Darren O'Day is as good as Johnson, maybe better, and he signed a two year contract for 43 dollars in Canadian pennies and a used Karl Malone Chia Pet. But people are fine pissing away resources on Jim Johnson.

Really quite impressive. And I'm not prone to handing out accolades.

So now the Yanks have gotten the best catcher on the market in McCann, picked up Ellsbury for a ridiculously high contract, and all reports are that they still have the money for Robby Cano.

Meanwhile, the Orioles have traded their All-Star, 100 save pitcher for salary relief, and picked up a bunch of no name "depth" for the organization.

I hate to say it, but we're looking at a fight for 4th place with the Jays again. We have missed our opportunity, and it's become painfully obvious that Angelos is not willing to allow the payroll to put us over the hump. Now, I'm not a sign all the premiere talent kind of guy, but when we sit back doing NOTHING while the teams ahead of us are continuing to improve, that's where this Management Team loses me.

If you think AJ was angry yesterday, I'd like to see his thoughts now that Ellsbury has doubled his salary and is playing for another enemy, again?

Archived