Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

10:06am: The O's and Balfour have exchanged parameters, according to Kubatko (Twitter link). The Orioles are still haggling with Axford and right-hander Chris Perez as well, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter).

The above is from mlbtraderumors

In other words...we'd better sign Balfour!

To save face, DD absolutely must sign him for less than $10M a year. I think he'll wind up opting to give Balfour a third year in order to reduce the amount he has to pay per year. So I'm predicting 3/21 or 3/24.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is already more energy than I'd care to see directed at a FA reliever.

It's not just getting a reliever. This changes the entire outlook on the Johnson trade. If the O's get Balfour for 6 or 7 million, the trade was a theft. We get Balfour who is better than Johnson, we get Weeks and a PTBNL.

It would be an Andy Macphail type theft.

This is already more energy than I'd care to see directed at a FA reliever.

The only reason we are hearing about it at all is because of the aforementioned "sycophantic mass-comm majors" that think they have inside info. Because now the Orioles have to comment on it through the REAL press to mitigate the response in case it does fall through which these things tend to do.

I have always wondered how many deals crumble in the closing minutes that we simply never hear about.

I agree with you, its Balfour, he would be a good pick up, I like it, move on.

I seriously doubt the fanbase is waiting with bated breath over the potential signing of Grant Balfour.

And I really don't want the Orioles to do "whatever it takes," if it takes something stupid then don't do it.

This is the stuff I'm talking about, calm the heck down dude - its a game.

I believe they can build and field a competitive team, while practicing fiscal responsibility.

With that said. Fiscal responsibility doesn't mean, raising ticket prices, pocketing TV and MASN money, salary dump and not sign anybody and expect to fill the holes from AAA.

I dont expect this team, nor do I want them to spend like the Yankees and Red Sox.

But, when teams like the Nationals are spending, kinda of makes you wonder about the ownership and how committed they are.

It wasn't sarcasm. It would change the Johnson trade completely if we get Balfour.

Paying a guy like 7 million dollars to do a role that is incredibly overrated and we already have options isn't something I'd want to be spending our limited money on. Closers are so easy to replace without spending tons of money on them. I thought that was why they got rid of Johnson in the first place...

Its tough to be excited that we might be filling up a hole we made ourselves this offseason. How about fixing some of the holes we had going into the offseason?

Many would argue that the bullpen was a problem last offseason. Picking up Webb and saving longterm cash from JJ were good moves. Balfour solidifies the pen (if it happens.)

The LF'er/ DH's and starters that are on the Orioles' radar aren't really going anywhere. The Orioles are going to try and find a middle-rotation starter, someone to eat innings on a reliable clip and be a stabilizer for the rotation. The FO obviously believes in Gausman and I figure he is going to be in the rotation from day one. Rodriguez is a wild card. I think the FO liked what they saw in the AFL and if he has a solid spring he could make the jump as well.

Tillman

Chen

Gonzo

FA PITCHER

Gausman

sixth man - Rodriguez/Johnson

That is likely what the Orioles offseason will be.

He was much better home than away, could be very mediocre @ Camden Yards.

The Orioles are not good enough to be spending 8 million on a closer.

All money should go to starting pitching, and Chris Davis.

This signing will just be a do something signing to placate the fan base, because the team won't spend the money necessary to sign a Garza or Choo

Paying a guy like 7 million dollars to do a role that is incredibly overrated and we already have options isn't something I'd want to be spending our limited money on. Closers are so easy to replace without spending tons of money on them. I thought that was why they got rid of Johnson in the first place...

Balfour is better than Johnson. He pounds the strike zone and gets outs, and we wont be biting nails off every ninth inning.

Its tough to be excited that we might be filling up a hole we made ourselves this offseason. How about fixing some of the holes we had going into the offseason?

Johnson going into the 9th was a hole last year. 9 blown saves right? So this should net the Orioles 6 more wins and a playoff spot :slytf:

Balfour is better than Johnson. He pounds the strike zone and gets outs, and we wont be biting nails off every ninth inning.

Yeah, I agree he's better. But we have Tommy Hunter at what like 2.5 mil after arbitration? Why not use him and use the 5 million dollars we save from not signing Balfour on getting an impact starting pitcher or LF/DH? That extra money could land us a Choo or Garza, while the 5 million extra we're paying here likely won't even get us an extra win over the span of the year.

Johnson going into the 9th was a hole last year. 9 blown saves right? So this should net the Orioles 6 more wins and a playoff spot :slytf:

He also led the league in saves as well as appearances. If the Orioles' offense had done a slightly better job JJ might not have been as exposed as he was.

Archived