Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have a problem withe the third year option either. Club or vesting. I want this guy a lot.

Good owners sometimes take one for the team in order to win now. If giving Balfour a third year is the difference between having him at closer and say John Axford or Perez, then if you care one iota about winning you sign that guy and if need be you eat that 3rd year when the time comes. Its really that simple. There comes a point when if you think that every FA is overpriced or is demanding to many years etc .... your just out of touch with what the market is for quality players and by extension out of touch with what it takes to win.

Good owners sometimes take one for the team in order to win now. If giving Balfour a third year is the difference between having him at closer and say John Axford or Perez, then if you care one iota about winning you sign that guy and if need be you eat that 3rd year when the time comes. Its really that simple. There comes a point when if you think that every FA is overpriced or is demanding to many years etc .... your just out of touch with what the market is for quality players and by extension out of touch with what it takes to win.

Exactly. Does anyone think the Mariners believe Cano is going to be great at the end of his contract?

If having Balfour at the top of his game for two years while lighting a fire under our teams arse and the thrill our players and fans will get from seeing him yelling at the Red Sox and Yankees with a NO FEAR attitude than what does it matter if he drops into a middle relief role with a 4.00 ERA in year 3? You can find some use for him and he won't be breaking the bank. I just don't get it.

I think he wants to sign here, otherwise he would've grabbed the other offer by now. Just give him the vesting option, sheesh.

Exactly. Does anyone think the Mariners believe Cano is going to be great at the end of his contract?

If having Balfour at the top of his game for two years while lighting a fire under our teams arse and the thrill our players and fans will get from seeing him yelling at the Red Sox and Yankees with a NO FEAR attitude than what does it matter if he drops into a middle relief role with a 4.00 ERA in year 3? You can find some use for him and he won't be breaking the bank. I just don't get it.

I think he wants to sign here, otherwise he would've grabbed the other offer by now. Just give him the vesting option, sheesh.

In Seattle owner wants to win baseball by fielding best team. In Baltimore owner ants to make huge profits and doesn't care about wins.

what I bolded

Balfour has played for Tampa and Oakland and has playoff experience. He knows what it's like facing the AL East. Come on DD sign the guy. I think he wants to sign here as well and would be the complete opposite of what we've seen from our former closer. Get it done NOW. TODAY!!

I think somebody will obtain one or two of the Dodger outfielders. Why? I've heard they really want Choo and need to move at least one of their OF starters. Doesn't it really come down to the NYY and LA Dodgers or Seattle? NY has the same problem as the Dodgers. Too many OF's. That can change in a hurry. Imagine the NYY with Ellsbury and Choo batting leadoff and second. I hope Choo stays in the NL and signs with the Reds or Dodgers.

I don't understand it either. Just give him a third year. I am getting pissed off

with this whole process.

"There's a lot of pitchers that are closers on the market, and I think some of them will sign for significantly less than $10 million a year."

Dan Duquette

I'd like to think that Dan is aware of some of the ridiculous prices in the market today, but then I read "significantly less than $10 million a year," and think maybe not.

Archived