Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burnett is #4 or #5 people, we need more than him.

Any clue where he lives in Monkton? I grew up there.

3.30 ERA, 1.2'ish WHIP, 209K in 191 IP last year for a playoff team. You think that is #4/#5 SP numbers? I not only disagree, but I strongly disagree. If you want to put him down than he is a very good #3 starter on a decent team. On the Orioles he is likely the ace or #2 starter. If he produced that season for us in 2014 than people would sing that praise and he would be better than 10-11 (his record from last season). He is also likely the best starting pitcher available to us outside of a trade.

3.30 ERA, 1.2'ish WHIP, 209K in 191 IP last year for a playoff team. You think that is #4/#5 SP numbers? I not only disagree, but I strongly disagree. If you want to put him down than he is a very good #3 starter on a decent team. On the Orioles he is likely the ace or #2 starter. If he produced that season for us in 2014 than people would sing that praise and he would be better than 10-11 (his record from last season). He is also likely the best starting pitcher available to us outside of a trade.

He would potentially out perform Santana, Garza, and Nolasco. And it is not much of a stretch to posit that. I just did not believe he would consider pitching again other than for Pittsburgh.

He would potentially out perform Santana, Garza, and Nolasco. And it is not much of a stretch to posit that. I just did not believe he would consider pitching again other than for Pittsburgh.

Lets say that the Orioles get him on a year year deal with a mutual option for another year, we land Balfour and swing a trade for a DH/LF on the cheap. That would be a pretty good team IMO. If we could do it, should we entertain bringing Roberts back on a team friendly deal?

Lets say that the Orioles get him on a year year deal with a mutual option for another year, we land Balfour and swing a trade for a DH/LF on the cheap. That would be a pretty good team IMO. If we could do it, should we entertain bringing Roberts back on a team friendly deal?

Why do you want to take a pretty good team and add Roberts to it?

By "team friendly" I'm assuming you mean offer him a job as a grounds keeper or bowling ball polisher. Certainly, it wouldn't be team friendly to give him a roster spot, even if he paid for it.

By "team friendly" I'm assuming you mean offer him a job as a grounds keeper or bowling ball polisher. Certainly, it wouldn't be team friendly to give him a roster spot, even if he paid for it.

Because Roberts batted .249 last year and had a .312 OBP. That is in 77 games. I am not sure how much faith I have in a Flaherty/Weeks competition and this team knows Brian. I wouldn't give him a ton, but Roberts isn't terrible unless he is overpaid.

Sure lets hope they overpay in dollars and years simply because the fan base is anxious.

I have never understood the mindset behind throwing dollars at someone, but if it takes the third year than so be it. I just don;t want to give them another year at the same rate as the two year deal. I am cool with 3/21, but not 3/24 if the negotiations are going from 2/14 to 3/24. Makes me wonder why they didn't beat Mujica's deal with the Red Sox 2/9.5 IIRC.

Archived