Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

Tell you what, everyone who is throwing the last bit of dirt on the Yankees grave, make a prediction right now of how many games they will win, what place they will finish in AL East, and where the Orioles will be in relation.

Let's cut all this nonsense and get some real predictions of their "average at best" team with some concrete win totals attached to it. We will pull this thread up in about 10 months and see how accurate those predictions were.

The numbers Frobby posted about the injuries for them last year are insane. You are talking the equivalent of 10 players missing an entire season, a lot of them coming from their most valuable players.

And they STILL won 85 games.

I don't agree with much of what you write, but I agree with all of this. For the "down" year last year, the Yanks STILL had as many wins as us. No way they have less than 90 wins this year, and more than likely I see the Yanks winning the AL East.

For poops and giggles, I'll go:

Yanks: 94

Rays: 90

Sox: 89

O's: 82

Jays: 80

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your argument is that A-Rod sucked and Johnson will only suck a little more...okay, I'll grant you that. But neither approach the potential of Manny Machado. You are right, we have waited for Britton and Matusz to step up. But, we also waited for Tillman to step up and that has worked out pretty well. I don't think Matusz is more than what he's shown - a good LOOGY - but Britton still has hope, if only IMO. And, you conveniently left out Gausman. Also, I didn't even mention McFarland, Wright, Ed-Rod, all of whom could contribute very soon. My point on this issue is that if I'm the O's, I'd rather be hoping on young guys with up-side to achieve it than old guys who only have down-side left, like the Yankees.

I left out Gausman because we still have time to wait for him as opposed to Britton who's out of options.

Their old guys have done it before in their career, and no one is saying they're in their prime. Were one to come up with a list of who did step up like Tillman versus who didn't, the latter list would be much longer. We'll have to see whether our current "ifs" get it done.

Moreover, my original point had nothing to do with comparing our lineup to theirs, only to say that they are better than were in 2013.

Tell you what, everyone who is throwing the last bit of dirt on the Yankees grave, make a prediction right now of how many games they will win, what place they will finish in AL East, and where the Orioles will be in relation.

Let's cut all this nonsense and get some real predictions of their "average at best" team with some concrete win totals attached to it. We will pull this thread up in about 10 months and see how accurate those predictions were.

The numbers Frobby posted about the injuries for them last year are insane. You are talking the equivalent of 10 players missing an entire season, a lot of them coming from their most valuable players.

The Yankees played sub 500 ball from May 25th on last season.

On that date they were 30-18, they went 55-59 the rest of the season. The Yankees were really hot for the first 48 games of the season last year - 16 of those 48 games were against the Jays, Astros, Rockies, and Mariners (By my count they were 16-16 against everybody else). They cooled off in a really big way.

They won 85 games, but it wasn't easy for them. Their pythag had them at under 500 for the season.

You know i really didn't realize how poor a year CC had last year. Especially his second half.

Okay so lets do this again:

Kuroda

Tanaka - Tillman

CC - Gausman

Nova - Chen

SP - Gonzo

xx - Norris

IMO the MFY rotation looks like this v the O's:

Kuroda-Tillman

CC-Chen

Tanaka- FA???

Nova- Gonzo

Pineda/Phelps- Norris

And they are starting out the year with 332 games lost before the season even starts. Arod for 162 and basically 162 with losing Cano and replacing him with replacement type guys. You could make a case for another 162 with Jeter returning. Face it Jeter is not the Jeter of old and is not likely to be a player that is up to the standards that the Yankees have had in the recent past. They are going to stink it up in the infield this year both offensively and defensively.

The Yankees played sub 500 ball from May 25th on last season.

On that date they were 30-18, they went 55-59 the rest of the season. The Yankees were really hot for the first 48 games of the season last year - 16 of those 48 games were against the Jays, Astros, Rockies, and Mariners. They cooled off in a really big way.

They won 85 games, but it wasn't easy for them. Their pythag had them at under 500 for the season.

The MFY old guys started hot and then got tired. Could happen again.

I don't agree with much of what you write, but I agree with all of this. For the "down" year last year, the Yanks STILL had as many wins as us. No way they have less than 90 wins this year, and more than likely I see the Yanks winning the AL East.

I pretty much am in line with those numbers.

Yanks low 90's.

Sox and Rays battling it out for 2nd in the high 80's or around there.

And O's and Jays pulling up the rear finishing right around .500 give or take a game or two.

Yanks: 84

Sox: 85

O's: 92

Jays: 84

Yankees average age is 47. except for they guy who has never pitched above AA ball. I go back to the alternating lucky year for the new look Orioles.

The MFY old guys started hot and then got tired. Could happen again.
You could make that same argument about some of our guys.

As a team, the O's had a bigger drop in the second half

O's pre-allstar .266/ .316/.446/.762

post-allstar .251/.308/.409/.716

NY pre-allstar .243/.307/.376/.684

post-allstar .242/.307/.375/.682

You could make that same argument about some of our guys.

As a team, the O's had a bigger drop in the second half

O's pre-allstar .266/ .316/.446/.762

post-allstar .251/.308/.409/.716

NY pre-allstar .243/.307/.376/.684

post-allstar .242/.307/.375/.682

My point was the Yankees' drop started back in May. They got off to a hot start but, all-in-all, had a very subpar year.

The Orioles were 57-43 on July 22, they went 28-34 the rest of the way (that includes a six game losing streak in the middle of September).

The difference the Orioles vacillated around 10 games over .500 all year, they finished eight games over. The Yankees got off to a hot start and they saw a long, slow decline.

You know i really didn't realize how poor a year CC had last year. Especially his second half.

Kuroda

Tanaka - Tillman

CC - Gausman

Nova - Chen

SP - Gonzo

xx - Norris

Yeah, he was awful last year. He has lost weight apparently, so maybe he rebounds this year. I still like Tillman better.

Tanaka is probably their best P, or Kuroda. Their rotation is still much better than ours, though Gausman has the potential to take us up to their level.

Yeah, he was awful last year. He has lost weight apparently, so maybe he rebounds this year. I still like Tillman better.

Tanaka is probably their best P, or Kuroda. Their rotation is still much better than ours, though Gausman has the potential to take us up to their level.

Potential, yes. But I suspect if he is in the rotation, he will still have growing pains. He just pitched for the first time in the bigs last year. He is going to have significant ups and downs in his first year.

Kuroda

Tanaka - Tillman

CC - Gausman

Nova - Chen

SP - Gonzo

xx - Norris

C C is done. It is not his weight. It's his arm.

BOS 92

TB 90

MFY 89

O's 88

TOR 80

Archived