Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the moves they made that will be easy. McCann is gonna be a beast playing in Yankee Stadium.

Really dude? Come on.

Let's look at their lineup from last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2013.shtml

ROUGH

Now lets look at who they are getting:

Tex: has been in steady decline since 2008, coming off multiple wrist surgeries

McCann: Really good offensive numbers, but lacks on defense

Brain Roberts/Kelly Johnson/whoever: A black hole compared to Cano, the only everyday player w/ an OPS+ over 110, one of only 2 with one over 100

The new outfield: definite upgrade, but not 100 runs upgrade.

100 runs is a lot to ask, they have to play the games and they need guys that have a history of not being healthy to be healthy.

Not drinking the Yankee kool-aid at all. The 2014 Yankee team on paper is ten times better then 2013.

So they'll win 850 games? ;)

I think it's a mixed bag, for reasons I said earlier. They could improve their run differential substantially and still not improve their record.

Most scouts see Tanaka as a #2. He doesn't have a huge strikeout rate so he might have to rely more on that defense. $175 million, including posting fee, is an awfully steep price to pay for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in MLB and whose value is somewhat uncertain.

You say that with an awful lot of certainty. McCann missed 60 games last year and has had two not-so-great years in a row. Sure, he has hit 20 homers six years in a row, but he is also injury prone and was pretty bad just a year ago. I don't know if that would lead me to believe that he will be a beast anywhere.

People get criticized for drinking the Orioles kool-aid, but you seem to be drinking the Yankees kool-aid. Sure, they may be better in 2014 than they were in 2013, but I don't think that is a foregone conclusion, and I certainly would not be comfortable projecting them to make a significant leap.

Brian McCann and his swing are a nice fit for Yankee stadium. I suppose we will have to play the games before the verdict is in, but they targeted him and that left handed power swing for a reason. The Yankees should be healthier under any measure next season and are simply a better 2014 team given their moves. I just don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise. Injuries are a part of the game and may enter into the O's equation next year for all we know.

Really dude? Come on.

Let's look at their lineup from last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2013.shtml

ROUGH

Now lets look at who they are getting:

Tex: has been in steady decline since 2008, coming off multiple wrist surgeries

McCann: Really good offensive numbers, but lacks on defense

Brain Roberts/Kelly Johnson/whoever: A black hole compared to Cano, the only everyday player w/ an OPS+ over 110, one of only 2 with one over 100

The new outfield: definite upgrade, but not 100 runs upgrade.

100 runs is a lot to ask, they have to play the games and they need guys that have a history of not being healthy to be healthy.

If they get 130 games from both Jeter and Tex 100 runs is doable. 2013 Jeter only played 17 games and Tex 15

Most scouts see Tanaka as a #2. He doesn't have a huge strikeout rate so he might have to rely more on that defense. $175 million, including posting fee, is an awfully steep price to pay for a guy who has never thrown a pitch in MLB and whose value is somewhat uncertain.

Absolutely. I think he will be a good pitcher, but is he worth that price?

High GB rate if I'm not mistaken. Should be interesting with Jeter and Roberts up the middle.

Brian McCann and his swing are a nice fit for Yankee stadium. I suppose we will have to play the games before the verdict is in, but they targeted him and that left handed power swing for a reason. The Yankees should be healthier under any measure next season and are simply a better 2014 team given their moves. I just don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise. Injuries are a part of the game and may enter into the O's equation next year for all we know.

They may, but the injury history and age is on the O's side in a comparison of the two clubs' injury risk profiles.

Archived