Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price

Greg

He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette. Sounds like that's what he did. 2014 Twitter is where the news is my friend.

But as we learned just in the last with the Burnett fiasco, what we get from Twitter is not always accurate. Something positioned as news that is wrong is not news. It is a rumor.

And saying "hears that" is no source or confirmation.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopeful he needs the team to look financially attractive to sell it.

Me too! If you're aiming to sell you want the healthiest balance sheet and profitability possible, which means minimizing operating costs, reducing long term contractual obligations (which are substantial liabilities), and maximizing profit. If you are aiming to try and keep the team in family, you care a little less about the long term contractual obligations, but you certainly care about profitability in the short term so you can afford your future tax implications. Either way, it's a plausible theory that would provide reasonable and understandable explanations for their actions/inactions.

As I see it, this is the most likely scenario as to how this got leaked:

DD is negotiating with Morales' agent, who knows that DD has indicated that he has at least $15M in payroll available. In response, DD is using Angelos' reputation to negotiate down the asking price.

More likely a Boras leak. He is negotiating with TEX, and has the word out that Morales is going back to SEA.

Because that's all it is, just talk. Just like 100 marbles.

I posted this in another thread but might have got lost because of this one:

MLB.com: You've talked about wanting to keep shortstop J.J. Hardy around. Are there any extension talks yet?

Duquette: We are going to work on that in the spring. We are not going to talk about it publicly, but it's on our spring agenda.

Our priority is on having a good team. And in J.J.'s case, he's done a very good job for the team. And we told him we would address it before the season starts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bal/dan-duquette-additional-arms-will-likely-come-from-orioles-system?ymd=20140217&content_id=67776290&vkey=news_bal

Its not a REPORT its a TWEET.

Reports from major publications require sourcing and confirmation. Tweets require free time an and audience. I am sure Cafardo heard this from somewhere, could it maybe be from Morales' camp, some interested third party, a guy in the MLB offices making an assumption? Who knows?

Journalists for major papers like the Boston Globe still need sources to back up their tweets. This isn't just some hobbyist with a lot of free time and a new iPhone.

Do you think that the winner of the seventh slot in the bullpen: Stinson, Escolona, Britton, whoever is better than Johnson?

I think that Webb + Balfour was a better way to spend 10 million then on Johnson.

Since the Balfour physical happened after the Johnson trade I am not sure what the point of your question is.

It got reallocated to Webb and Balfour's failed physical.

You think they should spend the money foolishly just to say they spent it?

Its not foolish when Morales and Santana make this a better team. Who knows how long Davis and Wieters may be around? Our window to compete is not indefinite. We should do all we can to be competitive THIS YEAR. This is not the time to be frugal.

Don't rule out a return to the Mariners for Kendrys Morales, tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. Cafardo hears that the Pirates aren't willing to forfeit the draft pick they would need to sign Morales. He also hears that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/al-west-notes-garza-morales-cruz-lewis-milone.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Beats me how a re

It got reallocated to Webb and Balfour's failed physical.

You think they should spend the money foolishly just to say they spent it?

This club deserves no excuse making, IMHO.

They botched Balfour, but there were/are a million SP options that make sense for this club. They passed/lost on Colon, Hudson, Burnett, Arroyo, Garza...and if this continues they'll lose out on Jimenez, Santana, and the rest.

This club is really hard to root for. I'm trying to abstract out Angelos from all of this, but he's the freakin' devil.

Archived