Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I really think we need to let the Garza thing go. With questions about his arm, he was not going to end up here. We are the least likely destination for someone with arm concerns.

Yup. Garza for 4 years would have been a huge mistake. I know with every pitcher his next pitch could be his last. But I don't like the odds of Garza making it through four years without a major arm issue.

Norris will be the #5. Gausman will start in the minors unless Chen isn't ready. If Gausman pitches well, then you look at trading Norris. But im content with Tillman, Jimenez, Chen, Gonzo, and Norris as the starting five. Could be the most consistent starting five we've had in a while.

I like this with Aceves stretched out. There will be some periods where they'll want to give Chen and/or Gonzo an extra day.

Because the chance that he returns to his Cy Young performance of 2008-2009 is pretty darn low?

With the Rockies, he allowed 0.5 HR/9 - the CO park is quite big; it's hitter friendly because it pumps 2Bs and 3Bs, not HRs. With Cleveland, it was 1.0 HR/9. All the rest of his peripherals were pretty similar.

The projection systems put Garza at 2.7/1.9 WAR; Jimenez is at 2.5/1.8.

There's no reason to think that Jimenez will be better than Garza in 2014. Value-wise, they are similar pitchers: Garza has been more consistent year-to-year, but he's had some injury problems.

And they were signed for the same contract but one cost the 17th pick.

I get what you are saying but Garza may have not signed with the Os for similar money. I know you probably know this but I still feel like it needs to be said. Comparing contracts is not that easy in this situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Breakdown by month in 2013:

March/April: 7.13 ERA, 1.333 WHIP

May: 4.23 ERA, 1.373 WHIP

June: 3.09 ERA, 1.625 WHIP

July: 2.83 ERA, 1.360 WHIP

August: 3.10 ERA, 1.379 WHIP

September: 1.09 ERA, 1.016 WHIP

I will gladly take the average of this (6 months) for my #1 starter. Gladly. I didn't follow Ubaldo as an Indian much.

Thanks for that breakdown.

Archived