Orioles seem to prefer Cruz to Morales

Greg

Also this is how the parks were statted 2013, courtesy ESPN. They have OPACY at #10 and Arlington at 17. OPACY was approximately a fifth of a run higher per game.

Also I meant a fifth a homer per game... only about a tenth of a run. Need to stop fail-posting today :confused:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like what mlbtraderumors says:

He may be below average defensively, but he's far from the worst outfielder in the league.

Ultimately, as a reliable source of 25 home runs (at least) from the right side of the dish, my expectation is that Cruz can overcome any perceived warts to find a three-year, $39MM contract.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/free-agent-profile-nelson-cruz.html

I really don't want him for that. I'd maybe be okay with a 1-2 year deal with much smaller money.

I'm a lot more concerned about Hunter and whoever closing than I am about Urrutia/Pearce/Reimold/Young/Colvin DH'ing. I think we need someone with decent closer experience a lot more than a costly long-term FA DH.

I was at a game at OPACY and I saw Adam Jones screw up a few plays in one game. I don't understand why they don't make him a DH.

I was expecting someone to say that. Cruz is not Jones and you know that. I may have only been at one game, but I have seen and heard a lot more. He is a below defender and is a butcher out there at times.

While he may not have always deserved them, Jones wins Gold Gloves. Cruz has had Rangers fans begging Ron Washington to take his glove away.

I'm a lot more concerned about Hunter and whoever closing than I am about Urrutia/Pearce/Reimold/Young/Colvin DH'ing. I think we need someone with decent closer experience a lot more than a costly long-term FA DH.

Elephant in the room, agreed. Problem is-what solutions are there? The old Phillies closer on a flyer? There isn't anything available.

Is Cruz willing to DH? He has only started 28 games at DH and 44 games in LF over his career. Signing him would be a clear indicator that we are gunning for this two year window. He could be an option in RF if Markakis leaves after 2014, I can't see them asking Markakis to move to left for 2014. Cruz is a classic right fielder, with not much range and a cannon for an arm, and doesn't seem like a good fit in left field.

I was expecting someone to say that. Cruz is not Jones and you know that. I may have only been at one game, but I have seen and heard a lot more. He is a below defender and is a butcher out there at times.

While he may not have always deserved them, Jones wins Gold Gloves. Cruz has had Rangers fans begging Ron Washington to take his glove away.

Cruz is definitely a liability in the outfield. His huge misreads are a lot worse than Jones' occasional lapses.

I think they are banking on Yoooooon, agreed RZNJ and Weams. I just would like some insurance other than Gausman.

I think Gausman will be fine, but give him some more time to fine tune his craft at AAA, he still doesn't have a lot of minor league starts under his belt. Start him at AAA, and keep him there, through the ASG, unless needed by the big league club.

Archived