Nick's Knocks

Frobby

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick is in a little slump now, hitless in 4 of his last 6 games, hitting .130/.200/.174 in that stretch.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the Orioles have only scored 15 runs in the last 6 games (2.5 runs/game). During Nick's immediately preceeding 14-game hitting streak, they scored 65 runs (4.64 runs/game). It's tough to get an offense rolling when the leadoff hitter isn't getting on base.

Nick got two hits tonight to pass Ken Singleton for 6th place on the Orioles' all time hit list. Only Cal, Brooks, Eddie, Brady and Boog are ahead of him. If you think about it, it's pretty amazing that Nick has reached that plateau in less than 8.5 seasons. He has an outside chance of catching Boog, who played here for 14 years, before the year is over (at his current pace he'd fall two hits short). If he stays healthy this year, he almost certainly will have accumulated more hits in his first 9 years than Cal, Eddie or any other modern Oriole (even spotting Cal the games he played at the end of the '81 season). That's a pretty impressive feat.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick had been scuffling since his 14-game hit streak ended, hitting .190/.266/.241 over the following 14 games, going hitless in 7 of those games. His average dropped from .312 to .289 and his OPS from .800 to .747 in that span. He went 4 for 6 last night to hopefully end the cold spell. Now at .296/.356/.401.

I think Nick has been a pleasant surprise offensively... I just don't understand how he lost so much speed, both foot speed and bat speed at the ripe old age of 30. It's like his fast twitch muscles just atrophied at the age of 27. I'd like to see the O's keep him, but they need to start finding some faster better defensive corner OF'ers.

As a fan, I don't really care about his contract.

I'll take his .300 average all day, every day.

But I will cosign the poster above me. It's SHOCKING how slow he's gotten. With someone like Hardy, he's just a slow guy and has always been. But Markakis looks like he's lost a step-and-a-half in just the past year.

It's tough to slam someone for something they have little control over, as in I don't think he can make himself be faster. But yes, it's alarming.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick went 3 for 6 last night, is on a 5-game hitting streak and has gotten on base in 13 consecutive games. He's hitting .328/.381/.466 in that stretch.

Watching the game last night at the ballpark, Nick looked pretty dialed in. Two of his three outs were hit very hard. I'm hoping he's starting one of his rolls where he stings the ball every night for 3-4 weeks.

Nick went 3 for 6 last night, is on a 5-game hitting streak and has gotten on base in 13 consecutive games. He's hitting .328/.381/.466 in that stretch.

Watching the game last night at the ballpark, Nick looked pretty dialed in. Two of his three outs were hit very hard. I'm hoping he's starting one of his rolls where he stings the ball every night for 3-4 weeks.

That would be good because Pearce and Jones won't continue this hot for the rest of the year.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived