Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

Speaking of "results person," I feel if Buck had said THAT instead of the whole caring about the win rule line, I wonder if people would give him less guff about going with a traditional closer role? He sends out the person he expects will get the result he wants. Like, you know, 99% of managers.

So you think, that Buck thinks, that Hunter is more likely to get a save, in all circumstances so far this season, then Britton?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of "results person," I feel if Buck had said THAT instead of the whole caring about the win rule line, I wonder if people would give him less guff about going with a traditional closer role? He sends out the person he expects will get the result he wants. Like, you know, 99% of managers.

Buck only told the world that he did not really care about Alfredo Simon accumulating saves. The Orioles and MASN made the big deal of telling the world over and over that he did not care about saves in general.

First batters are now hitting .429 off him. That is not a recipe for success no matter who you are. Now there's two ways to look at that, the side that says it's not sustainable and a recipe for failure, or that it's not sustainable and will normalize a little bit. I think it'll normalize a bit, but just for an uneducated comparison, opposing first batters hit .347 off Jim Johnson last year in 74 games, compared to .200 in 2012, and his struggles were well documented. The longer Tommy goes with not getting the first man out, the more likely he'll flirt with disaster and more likely he'll start blowing games.

So you think, that Buck thinks, that Hunter is more likely to get a save, in all circumstances so far this season, then Britton?

Occam's Razor. Why else would he? That's why Hunter has the role (disagree with the role notion or no, he uses it, obviously). If he didn't, then someone else would, like Britton.

How long must Buck manage here, or in general really, before we start to get that he's not a guy who pulls someone out of a role he feels they earned with the shortest of hooks? He's become a player's manager, and if he put you there, he trusts you. You'll have to do a heck of a lot before he doesn't trust you.

Buck only told the world that he did not really care about Alfredo Simon accumulating saves. The Orioles and MASN made the big deal of telling the world over and over that he did not care about saves in general.

Was it specific to Simon? That makes it even worse.

Occam's Razor. Why else would he? That's why Hunter has the role (disagree with the role notion or no, he uses it, obviously). If he didn't, then someone else would, like Britton.

How long must Buck manage here, or in general really, before we start to get that he's not a guy who pulls someone out of a role he feels they earned with the shortest of hooks? He's become a player's manager, and if he put you there, he trusts you. You'll have to do a heck of a lot before he doesn't trust you.

And then when he doesn't, you play elsewhere.

I think Buck anointed Hunter the closer before ST even started.

The bolded, to me, contradicts your earlier statement. Just because Buck felt that way in March doesn't mean that he feels that way now. He just might think he has more to lose then to gain if he shakes things up.

I think Buck anointed Hunter the closer before ST even started.

The bolded, to me, contradicts your earlier statement. Just because Buck felt that way in March doesn't mean that he feels that way now. He just might think he has more to lose then to gain if he shakes things up.

Interpret it however you like, it simply meant that once Buck trusts you, you need to do a crap ton to lose that trust. How easily he gives players that trust, well, that's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned, but the anecdotal evidence alone pretty much confirms the first.

Interpret it however you like, it simply meant that once Buck trusts you, you need to do a crap ton to lose that trust. How easily he gives players that trust, well, that's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned, but the anecdotal evidence alone pretty much confirms the first.

I don't understand what that has to do with the concept that at least once this season, Buck, from a rational viewpoint, would think that someone other then Hunter would give the O's the best chance to win a particular game.

I could see him keeping with Hunter anyway but that doesn't preclude the possibility.

The man isn't stupid, he has see how Hunter has been struggling.

I don't understand what that has to do with the concept that at least once this season, Buck, from a rational viewpoint, would think that someone other then Hunter would give the O's the best chance to win a particular game.

I could see him keeping with Hunter anyway but that doesn't preclude the possibility.

Oh, well, if you want to get in to speculative headspace stuff, that's different. I didn't catch your drift there.

And of course he's seeing what we see. But he's also seeing that the struggles still have resulted in wins. He's making everyone a nervous wreck, but at the moment, he's getting it done. Even if we think Buck sees that, what I was saying is that until those struggles start affecting the team much more than they are now, he'll keep on rolling him out there.

Buck doesn't care if Hunter struggles, as long as he gets the job done. He's not going to risk damaging Hunter's belief in himself or in how he perceives Buck's confidence in him by giving the job to someone else, even for just one game, because he thinks the other guy has a better chance that day. It's Hunter's job to keep or lose.

Perhaps Buck also believes there is a chance that Tommy will perform better as he gains experience in the role.

Archived