Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not me. He's just a pretty good reliever, and he'll probably be a fine closer. Somebody has to do the job, and if it's not him, then someone else will and he'll pitch the 8th. It's all good.

I mean everytime. I'm on the edge of my seat. I am fascinated with how he does it, and I can't look away. From the crash. That never occurs. He stretches it to the limit. But no farther. Fascinated I tell you!

If it isn't the O's then it is all about the process. With the O's I would rather they win (most of the time).
I only care about the Orioles and results. Fascinating I tell you! 98 when needed. Ground balls at will. Bear Claw.

In Hunter's career as a reliever, his ERA is 3.02, WHIP is 1.127, OPS against is .669and he has 108 Ks in 134 IP. Are we maybe focusing too much on a 13.2 inning sample size here?

In Hunter's time as a reliever he's proven to be pretty good; doesn't walk guys and does a solid job of missing bats. I'm not going to press the panic button and project Hunter's 15 appearances so far in 2014 as some harbinger of doom, where a plethora of blown saves are lurking around the corner.

Every closer will blow some saves. And it's not as if a stretch of so-so outings always precedes a blown save or 2. In 2013, JJ had 15 consecutive saves and a sub 1 ERA before he began his mid May meltdown of 3 consecutive blown saves.

At this point, the results are there, BABIP should normalize a bit and hopefully we'll start seeing some clean innings. I'm glad to see Hunter is keeping the ball in the ballpark, which was a big worry for most fans.

I dont.know why people try and downplay a single stat, such as ERA or Saves.

The same ppl think "advanced" stats such as WAR is so great but can also be misleading.

Idc if Hunters ERA is 4.50, as long as he isnt blowing saves (wins), then who cares?

Bases Empty : 1.357 OPS

Men On: .647 OPS

Looking at his stats the only real difference between the 2 is his BABIP in each situation. He has struck out a batter per inning in each situation, and actually has 4 walks with men on vs. none with the bases empty. In 3.2 innings with the bases empty he has given up 10 hits. In 10 innings with runners on he has given up 7 hits. It seems like once he gets runners on his luck begins to stabilize.

The results that he's putting up are very real right now though. His FIP is actually 3.23 compared to his 3.29 ERA. Just hope the BABIP drops to where it should be, a whopping .150 points lower.

Looking at his stats the only real difference between the 2 is his BABIP in each situation. He has struck out a batter per inning in each situation, and actually has 4 walks with men on vs. none with the bases empty. In 3.2 innings with the bases empty he has given up 10 hits. In 10 innings with runners on he has given up 7 hits. It seems like once he gets runners on his luck begins to stabilize.

The results that he's putting up are very real right now though. His FIP is actually 3.23 compared to his 3.29 ERA. Just hope the BABIP drops to where it should be, a whopping .150 points lower.

Great knowledge drop.

Must spread rep. This is definitely encouraging.

Archived