Tommy Hunter AGAIN!

isestrex

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said in a recent post that the agony of watching Hunter pitch into and (usually) out of trouble was nothing compared to that inflicted on Orioles fans by Don Stanhouse. I continue to believe that, but I realized tonight than in comparing these "relievers" (there's irony for you) I had forgotten two important factors.

First, Tommy is just getting started, and there's plenty of time for him to catch up or surpass Full-Pack. Second, my nervous and circulatory systems are about 35 years older than they were when Stan the Man Unusual was putting them through their paces. If Hunter starts blowing saves and losing games, I may not make it.

For now, :beerchug1: Thanks. I needed that.

I said in a recent post that the agony of watching Hunter pitch into and (usually) out of trouble was nothing compared to that inflicted on Orioles fans by Don Stanhouse. I continue to believe that, but I realized tonight than in comparing these "relievers" (there's irony for you) I had forgotten two important factors.

First, Tommy is just getting started, and there's plenty of time for him to catch up or surpass Full-Pack. Second, my nervous and circulatory systems are about 35 years older than they were when Stan the Man Unusual was putting them through their paces. If Hunter starts blowing saves and losing games, I may not make it.

For now, :beerchug1: Thanks. I needed that.

Or the "great" Randy Myers! ;)

The guy is far from a stud, but he's honestly the best option we've got at the moment. And, thus far, he's managed to keep things contained.

Well, he has a superior defense behind him, so as long as they're hitting balls on the ground, there is an excellent chance that it'll be one or more outs. He only gets into trouble when he leaves the ball up where they can hit it a long way.

Speaking of hitting balls on the ground, the best pitcher on the relief staff for that is Zach Britton. You'd think we would go to him once in a while (not always, but once in a while!) for a save opportunity...

He should not be pitching with just a one-run lead.

I don't understand what someone said about Hunter learning the job. Isn't it the job of EVERY pitcher to not give up runs? Was there no pressure on Hunter last year because it was OK to give up runs in the eighth inning?

The only time a closer should feel pressure is during the bottom of the last inning of an away game. In those games if he gives up a go-ahead run it is the winning run. In games at home, his team still has another chance to bat.

Looking at PitchFx, batting averages against his pitch types:

4 seamer: .391 (thrown 104 times, 9 hits in 27 plate appearances)

2 seamer: .600 (thrown 30 times, 3 hits in 5 plate appearances)

Cutter: .375 (thrown 28 times, 3 hits in 8 plate appearances)

The only pitch not getting clobbered is his curveball. He's thrown it 58 times, and there's been only 1 hit in 14 plate appearances.

FWIW, last year his fastball was very good (hitters only hit 206 off of it), but what's concerning about this year versus last year? Hunter hasn't thrown a single slider. Not one. He threw a slider 107 times last year..33 plate appearances and only 4 hits.

Tally together his cutter, 2 seamer, and 4 seamer, and he's thrown 162 fastballs and 58 curveballs. This isn't including tonight (I don't think). So, 3 out of 4 times he's throwing a fastball. Hitters are sitting on it. He needs to mix things up more.

Hunter has been as lucky as he's been effective so far. When the luck disappears - and it will - so will his effectiveness.

Plus, he sweats wa-a-ay too much for a closer, and his game face has that "deer in the headlights" look.

Archived