vs. BREWERS, 5/27

OFFNY

Anyone know what the actual rule is for determining a check swing vs. swing?
Check-swing

"He broke his wrists", "The bat went past the front of the plate."

Many people believe those two statements are written in the rules or are written as official interpretations of a strike.

THEY ARE NOT.

A strike by definition is "a pitch that is struck at by the batter and is missed." It is purely a judgment made by the umpire as to whether the batter "struck at" the pitch. Breaking the wrists or the bat moving beyond the front of the plate or the batter's body, are factors that the umpire may use to make the judgment. Factors is all they are; not definitions.

It is not automatically a strike when a batter holds the bat over the plate preparing to bunt and does not pull it back when the pitch goes by. The same judgment applies. Did the batter "strike at" the pitch?

It is not automatically a strike when a batter is ducking an inside pitch and he spins around and the bat crosses the plate. The umpire must judge if he was avoiding the pitch or striking at it.

http://www.baseball-rules.com/mostfaqs.htm#PA

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone please correct me because I know you will. I don't believe there is an actual black and white rule, I think it's open to interpretation by the umpire.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think what you said is fairly accurate.

Archived